Michael Jackson's This Is It
Oct 31, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #16 of 38
My economy is tight, so I must wait for the DVD. If I have to pay a show price, I'd prefer to see him alive. I agree on the getting tired of all the posthumous sales but you can't argue he wasn't an extraordinary talent. RiP Michael, and give a kick to those still trying to ride your coat tails.

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #17 of 38
I don't exactly understand why people care so much that it is a money grab. I loved the concert and was totally worth the $10 that a movie ticket costs. Not exactly super expensive. The movie demonstrated the talent that still lived within the fifty year old man and shows how involved he is in his concerts. Everything needs to be perfect.

About the money thing, I probably would have paid up to a hundred dollars to see this movie. Would fans rather pay the $10 to see the movie or have this footage locked up and never released to the public?

Oct 31, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't exactly understand why people care so much that it is a money grab.

My take on it:

Because developing the habit of putting out stuff because they're money grabs gradually lessens the artistic/creative merit of a certain medium. If people want to be overly dramatic about it... it's basically saying that it totally erases the "spirit" of the art.

In this case, what's supposedly marketed as a tribute to a recently deceased pop icon - or a swan song or something - is panned as being nothing more than an opportunity for execs to cash in on his death, which basically defeats its whole "purpose."

It's like those Friedberg-Seltzer films (Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans, Epic Movie, etc etc): They're being dished out simply because of the fact that they earn easy money. The producers don't really care if they're an insult to film making.

If something is put out for the purpose of making or showing something worthwhile... and then it happens to sell big (e.g. - LOTR trilogy), then there's no harm in that. But if something is obviously put out for the primary purpose of cashing in... eh... it leaves a sour taste. This one in particular feels too opportunistic for me.

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #19 of 38
I get what you're saying but I'm pretty sure there's exceptions. Yes, they know that they will make money for Jackson's estate by creating this movie but being the icon that he is, I'm sure that a fraction of the reason why they are releasing this movie is to show how well prepared Jackson was and how much he wanted to put on the concert.

Especially being made by someone who was as close to Jackson during the preparations of the movie. Ortega in my opinion, truly felt close to Michael, as it appears in the movie, and wanted to share this with everyone. Not everyone in the world is out there to bank off of people...

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #20 of 38
Good show. Didn't have T shirts, rhinestone gloves or Jesus juice for sale. Just a show about an immense talent for fans to see a balanced portrayal after the tabloid trashing. It was cool to see little kids dancing with their parents in the isles.

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #22 of 38
I don't see this going away any time soon. Gary, IN is about a hour from my home. (which is where mj grew up) They idea is to build a museum to MJ. The town of gary is in a very very very sad state. Tons of conversation like "WHY ARE THEY BUILDING A MUSEUM IN GARY!? WHY DONT THEY FIX THE TOWN UP FIRST!!!"

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenGecko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see this going away any time soon. Gary, IN is about a hour from my home. (which is where mj grew up) They idea is to build a museum to MJ. The town of gary is in a very very very sad state. Tons of conversation like "WHY ARE THEY BUILDING A MUSEUM IN GARY!? WHY DONT THEY FIX THE TOWN UP FIRST!!!"

now THAT is a depressing state of affairs

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #24 of 38
I just watched it and enjoyed it immensely and I don't care I freaking cried when he sang "human nature" and "man in the mirror." This would have been a concert of a lifetime. I still can't believe he's gone.

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just watched it and enjoyed it immensely and I don't care I freaking cried when he sang "human nature" and "man in the mirror." This would have been a concert of a lifetime. I still can't believe he's gone.

awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

About the museum thing. Yes, it may not be the best way to spend the city's money but people don't realize how important Michael Jackson was in terms of race issues. Before MJ, there were no black artist on MTV. Motown threatened to pull ALL their artists from MTV if jackson's videos were not aired. This paved the way for the next black artists. He is important in the music world as well as society as a whole.

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

I don't exactly understand why people care so much that it is a money grab. I loved the concert and was totally worth the $10 that a movie ticket costs. Not exactly super expensive. The movie demonstrated the talent that still lived within the fifty year old man and shows how involved he is in his concerts. Everything needs to be perfect.

About the money thing, I probably would have paid up to a hundred dollars to see this movie. Would fans rather pay the $10 to see the movie or have this footage locked up and never released to the public?

Amen.

The documentary is a steal at $10. It really did show you how amazing his concert was going to be, but too bad he passed away before it actually happened.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

About the museum thing. Yes, it may not be the best way to spend the city's money but people don't realize how important Michael Jackson was in terms of race issues. Before MJ, there were no black artist on MTV. Motown threatened to pull ALL their artists from MTV if jackson's videos were not aired. This paved the way for the next black artists. He is important in the music world as well as society as a whole.

Maybe but if he wouldnt have done it someone else would have. The main point here is he was a child molester i think alot of people forget this. So really im just sad he never went to jail.

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe but if he wouldnt have done it someone else would have. The main point here is he was a child molester i think alot of people forget this. So really im just sad he never went to jail.

He was the first so he gets credit for it. Kinda like how it was a big deal that Armstrong was the first man on the moon...sure others would have eventually done it, but that's not the point. That's how these kinda things work.

The main point is that there's a movie out called This Is It, actually. This isn't your thread to sling your crap about the place. If you've actually done real research on those cases and come to the conclusion that he's a child molester then that's fine; however I highly doubt you have, and I'm just sad you're so guided by hearsay and media spin, if that's the case.

I haven't seen the movie but I'll probably see it in a week or so.

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #29 of 38
Here are a few quotes from a "Feedback" section in the local news paper about the museum.

"Even if they would build a Michael Jackson museum in Gary, what else is there to see? Clean up the city before you waste more money on things that will never pan out."

"The last thing Gary needs is a museum to the Jackson Family. Use the money to help the people in Gary. The Jacksons forgot Gary when they left for California."

"Someone needs to slap Rudy a few times and wake him up! Gary is a city on life support, waiting for someone to trip over the cord that keeps it alive and kill it and he thinks people will actually come to Gary to visit a Jackson Family Museum?"

"The Gary City Hall (museum), Genesis Convention Center (performing arts) and former Sheraton Hotel already exist within the 400 block of Broadway. So, why build a Jackson Family version of the same things on the same block?"

Btw, Why do people goto his childhood home and put flowers and teddy bears by it... I don't really understand this. I can't see myself burning time/calories/money for someone I didn't personally know even if he did make music history.

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's equivalent to me just coming here on head fi without knowing you personally and just tell everybody here that you're a child molester and should go to jail. It's very sad indeed to see how folks could just be so gullible to believe anything contrived by the 'media machines'.
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back