Mic monitoring for gaming and Dolby Headphones/Virtual Surround.
Aug 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kinada423

New Head-Fier
I was previously using some junky TurtleBeach X12's with a dss2 dac connected via spidf from an onboard realtek audio on my ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard and the headphones broke so I recently purchased a set of PC360 headphones and a Xonar DGX sound card to try and get a built in headphone amp with dolby headphone and virtual surround and stop using my onboard sound. Upon installing the card and setting up the unixonar drivers and cmedia panel I can't monitor the microphone without a considerable delay. The delay is so bad that I can not use monitoring of the mic or else I have to slow my speech because it gets confusing. I have tried gaming for several days without the mic monitoring but it forces me to speak too loud and still have difficulty communicating. 

Is there a better option for me to get dolby headphone/virtual surround capability with direct mic monitoring with no perceivable latency and headphone amp capability? I would be willing to purchase an external amp if I need. I'm having trouble identifying options on my own by searching the forums here so any help is appreciated.

The DGX sounds great driving the PC360s as they get burned in so no complaints there.

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 6
So, let me get this straight: by "mic monitoring", you mean feeding the mic input back through the output (headphones/headset) so you can hear your own voice?

Any competent sound card should allow you to play back the mic input using the mixer with no delay. I can do it with ease on my X-Fi Titanium HD, though I don't usually do so because I don't want to hear my own voice. My headphones are open enough as is.

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 6
Unfortunately, I have no experience with the DGX or other C-Media-based sound cards, so I can't really help much beyond the general advice of "try different driver configurations". If I at least knew how the driver control panel was set up, I could probably figure it out.

I'm trying to avoid the "go buy a different sound card that will work" solution if it can be helped...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back