MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
May 9, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #781 of 897
After eliminating the powered USB hub I was quite happy with the sound but have ordered a Gustard U16 as someone had suggested. I also have an Acme fuse ordered.
Thanks for the suggestion on the Gustard U16, it‘s cheaper than the Matrix suggested above and doesn’t have an external power supply which I don’t like.

BTW, for you Orchid, I have the original Orchid for quite a long time now and I can assure you it’s worth it to try out many different NOS tubes to find the one you prefer. The WE 396A is nice but there are others that provide sound caracteristics that are significantly more enjoyable, at least to my ears! :wink:

May 12, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #782 of 897
Thanks for the suggestion on the Gustard U16, it‘s cheaper than the Matrix suggested above and doesn’t have an external power supply which I don’t like.

BTW, for you Orchid, I have the original Orchid for quite a long time now and I can assure you it’s worth it to try out many different NOS tubes to find the one you prefer. The WE 396A is nice but there are others that provide sound caracteristics that are significantly more enjoyable, at least to my ears! :wink:
Gustard U16 arrived today. Running USB into it and outputting to 69SE via Illuminati BNC and Coax to original. Also running fibre optic in 69SE from my Brennan B2. Fuses arrived but I haven't installed them yet. Juin said he designed 'new and unique DEM circuits' that should sound very detailed and dynamic. From what I'm hearing I wouldn't argue with that. He also said the stock Soviet military tube takes a long time to burn it. I'll report back later. Joshua Redman Elastic Band's Momentum and Isabel Demers organist and ... are calling.

May 13, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #783 of 897
Gustard U16 arrived today. Running USB into it and outputting to 69SE via Illuminati BNC and Coax to original. Also running fibre optic in 69SE from my Brennan B2. Fuses arrived but I haven't installed them yet. Juin said he designed 'new and unique DEM circuits' that should sound very detailed and dynamic. From what I'm hearing I wouldn't argue with that. He also said the stock Soviet military tube takes a long time to burn it. I'll report back later. Joshua Redman Elastic Band's Momentum and Isabel Demers organist and ... are calling.
I’ll be curious to know your impresisons about what the Gustard brings to the sound versus going direct to USB to the Orchid. I know the USB parts in on the Orchid are probably relatively cheap versus whats in the Gustard but it always puzzles me to have to buy such « expensive » devices that play only in the digital part of the signal, after all it’s all supposed to be 1s and 0s! Haha

May 14, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #784 of 897
I had never been suspect of Mhdt's USB input but I've been enlightened. On Dawn Upshaw's recording of Debussy songs the edges of her notes are as clear as before but not 'etched'. There is an increased delicacy to her voice but no lack of resolution. On a recording of Irving Fine's Notturno String Quartet, the bowed string can be heard in front of the plucked ones. There is more air yet the silence between notes is actually improved. I have not yet changed the fuse.

May 14, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #785 of 897
I had never been suspect of Mhdt's USB input but I've been enlightened. On Dawn Upshaw's recording of Debussy songs the edges of her notes are as clear as before but not 'etched'. There is an increased delicacy to her voice but no lack of resolution. On a recording of Irving Fine's Notturno String Quartet, the bowed string can be heard in front of the plucked ones. There is more air yet the silence between notes is actually improved. I have not yet changed the fuse.
I never used my Orchid with USB straight-in. Always used it w/a pricey (excellent sounding) silver coax cable coming out of either a SPDIF converter, or a DDC.

Out of the DACs I have/had, just one (the humble Peachtree Audio DACiTx) sounded equally good via USB straight or coax. The reason was that the mfr spend a few well-chosen bucks to galvanically isolate the USB input--in effect, disconnecting the 5volt power signal that comes in w/the audio signal on a USB cable (you can buy pricey USB cables that allow the same thing w/non-galvanically isolated DACs).

Any given DAC may or may not sound great via USB. It totally depends on design.

From my perspective, I'm so used to using a SPDIF converter or DDC between the USB signal and the DAC that I'll continue w/that. If a future DAC allows IIS input, then I'll use an html cable between the DDC & DAC. I just don't see a reason to go back to plain old USB.

May 14, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #787 of 897
Now I find it hard to think of using my original Orchid and Havana with USB straight. Suggestions for other reasonable DDC?
I'm using the Matrix Audio SPDIF 2. I bought mine from Arthur Power, a great guy and a very reputable/helpful dealer of Matrix Audio, Violectric, other non-US brands.
  • FWIW, I got an immediate sonic bump just by switching out my old SPDIF converter (not a DDC) to the Matrix DDC. Same coax cable, but better sound w/the Matrix. I thought the sound "tighted up" somehow, is more focused & integrated. A subtle but meaningful sonic upgrade, whether heard from headphones or speakers/sub
The latest version, the SPDIF 3, costs more than my $399. Here's the "3" on Arthur Power's website:

https://power-holdings-inc.com/Matrix-X-SPDIF-3-Femto-Clock-&-Format-Converter-p470184380

You can still get the "2" version for $399. Here it is on Moon Audio:

https://www.moon-audio.com/matrix-audio-x-spdif-2.html

What's the difference between the "2" and "3" versions? Apparently it mostly concerns the IIS (html) output to the DAC:

"Compared with the previous generation, the IIS-LVDS output isolation is added, which completely isolates the digital output from the ground wire of the USB end, and bids farewell to the annoying noise of the USB front end. In addition, it supports up to 32Bit/768kHz PCM signal and 1Bit/DSD512 signal output, achieving an excellent output quality from both PC and mobile devices."​
So if your DAC has a IIS/html input and you know you'll be using it, spring for the "3" version.

But there are many DDCs out there. And the ones said to be good usually cost 50%-100% more than the Matrix. Caveat Emptor.

May 15, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #788 of 897
I'm using the Matrix Audio SPDIF 2. I bought mine from Arthur Power, a great guy and a very reputable/helpful dealer of Matrix Audio, Violectric, other non-US brands.
  • FWIW, I got an immediate sonic bump just by switching out my old SPDIF converter (not a DDC) to the Matrix DDC. Same coax cable, but better sound w/the Matrix. I thought the sound "tighted up" somehow, is more focused & integrated. A subtle but meaningful sonic upgrade, whether heard from headphones or speakers/sub
The latest version, the SPDIF 3, costs more than my $399. Here's the "3" on Arthur Power's website:

https://power-holdings-inc.com/Matrix-X-SPDIF-3-Femto-Clock-&-Format-Converter-p470184380

You can still get the "2" version for $399. Here it is on Moon Audio:

https://www.moon-audio.com/matrix-audio-x-spdif-2.html

What's the difference between the "2" and "3" versions? Apparently it mostly concerns the IIS (html) output to the DAC:

"Compared with the previous generation, the IIS-LVDS output isolation is added, which completely isolates the digital output from the ground wire of the USB end, and bids farewell to the annoying noise of the USB front end. In addition, it supports up to 32Bit/768kHz PCM signal and 1Bit/DSD512 signal output, achieving an excellent output quality from both PC and mobile devices."​
So if your DAC has a IIS/html input and you know you'll be using it, spring for the "3" version.

But there are many DDCs out there. And the ones said to be good usually cost 50%-100% more than the Matrix. Caveat Emptor.
Thanks. Since I'm just using Mhdt products and don't expect to go beyond that 'IIS/html input' shouldn't really be an issue should it? Do you run and do you think I need to get the outboard power supply ? Thanks again for the help. David

May 15, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #789 of 897
Thanks. Since I'm just using Mhdt products and don't expect to go beyond that 'IIS/html input' shouldn't really be an issue should it? Do you run and do you think I need to get the outboard power supply ? Thanks again for the help. David
I find myself curious about the IIS input on DACs. I like my Orchid a lot and am not inclined to replace it. But I have 2 systems here, and eventually I may upgrade my other NOS DAC to one that has IIS input. If so, I would try to the Matrix with it.

Something tells me IIS is in our futures, regardless. It is described as having advantages over all the other inputs possible for a DAC.

Re external PS, do you mean for the Matrix? If so, I've never heard of that being an option, also wouldn't know what possible benefit it would bring. ??

May 15, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #790 of 897
Yes. On the Moon Audio page, it lists the external power supply option for $49. It indicates the 'X-SPDIF 2 has a power supply interface, you can add an external linear power supply to it. It will disconnect the USB bus power automatically when you connect it to an external power, then the X-SPDIF 2 can work with mobile devices.' Not sure if that proves any advantage for those of us with home based DAC systems. I believe the external power supply option is also listed for 3. Which output are you using to the Orchid? I'm using the BNC and really liking it. I haven't checked if the Matrix provides a BNC output

May 15, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #791 of 897
Yes. On the Moon Audio page, it lists the external power supply option for $49. It indicates the 'X-SPDIF 2 has a power supply interface, you can add an external linear power supply to it. It will disconnect the USB bus power automatically when you connect it to an external power, then the X-SPDIF 2 can work with mobile devices.' Not sure if that proves any advantage for those of us with home based DAC systems. I believe the external power supply option is also listed for 3. Which output are you using to the Orchid? I'm using the BNC and really liking it. I haven't checked if the Matrix provides a BNC output
I use the RCA-type digital coax output. Years ago I purchased a very fine-sounding silver coax cable (Oyaide R-510) and this cable + either a trad. SPDIF converter (ie, Musical Fidelity V192) or the Matrix DDC always sounds better to me than USB straight in.

Neither the Matrix 2 or 3 DDC has BNC. Both have RCA-type coax + a few others (2 has optical, coax, IIS; 3 has AES, coax, IIS).

I'll have to read up on the external P.S. I'd be a little surprised if that was being offered as a sonic upgrade, but I've been wrong before.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back