MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Jan 29, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #751 of 897
Hi! I also don't know much about the Orchid 69SE. I was toying with the idea of trying the Orchid when I saw this version on ebay. I sent an email to MHDT asking the differences between the standard Orchid dac and the 69SE but did not have a reply.

Anyways, to my eyes it looks the same design as the standard Orchid but with different components. The logic board is more neatly designed with reasonable space between components. Aesthetically, I much prefer the old designs. The asking price is kind of crazy but MHDT does auctions once in a while. If you follow them on ebay you will get a notification. Start price is normally around 1000us$ and the final auction normally closes between 1300~1400$ (or at least the few auctions I followed).

I will post more about it once I can have some decent listening sessions.

Cheers
Very curious too :)
It also uses a top quality dac chip vs the standard grade in the base orchid. That alone may explain a big portion of the price difference as the S2 version are difficult to find and can get very expensive.

Feb 17, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #753 of 897
Apr 3, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #759 of 897
Has no one here yet heard the Oolong? I have a Havana and an older Orchid. I'm looking to possibly pick up another DAC and had heard good things about the Denafrips Aries II and Pontus II but it sounds like people here have tried them and come back to Mhdt. I actually like the new cabinet aesthetic of the Orchid but do notice it now natively use a 6922 tube. Has anyone here heard the original and current Orchids to compare. I do see the price has dropped from when the new case came out or is that because the tube or chip change? I see it specifies it comes with the S1 chip. did the earlier ones like mine come with the S2? Thanks. David

Apr 3, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #760 of 897
Has no one here yet heard the Oolong? I have a Havana and an older Orchid. I'm looking to possibly pick up another DAC and had heard good things about the Denafrips Aries II and Pontus II but it sounds like people here have tried them and come back to Mhdt. I actually like the new cabinet aesthetic of the Orchid but do notice it now natively use a 6922 tube. Has anyone here heard the original and current Orchids to compare. I do see the price has dropped from when the new case came out or is that because the tube or chip change? I see it specifies it comes with the S1 chip. did the earlier ones like mine come with the S2? Thanks. David
I can't answer any of your questions. But I can recommend something. If you haven't already tried different tubes in your Orchid, you should. A good NOS tube, possibly w/an adapter if not the stock tube type, can make a big difference. It did for me.

People on this thread have also strongly recommended an SR Purple fuse be installed in place of the stock one. There's always controversy about tweaks like this...but I read it enough from people whose ears I trust that I got the fuse. Just too lazy to put it in yet...hopefully soon.

Apr 3, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #761 of 897
I can't answer any of your questions. But I can recommend something. If you haven't already tried different tubes in your Orchid, you should. A good NOS tube, possibly w/an adapter if not the stock tube type, can make a big difference. It did for me.

People on this thread have also strongly recommended an SR Purple fuse be installed in place of the stock one. There's always controversy about tweaks like this...but I read it enough from people whose ears I trust that I got the fuse. Just too lazy to put it in yet...hopefully soon.
Thanks. I have tried different tubes and am currently running a Western Electric WA396a in both. I'm not necessarily looking to upgrade per se. I renovated a studio/office and am setting up a system with Falcon LS 3/5a speakers and AKG K-501 and Stax 404 headphones. I'm sure I will be pursuing many of the tweeks suggested here and by you as I have in the past. Thanks again.

Apr 7, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #762 of 897
I listed my Orchid for sale. I may regret it later, but I don’t have rack space for everything already. It’s too good to leave sitting in a box waiting for someday, so I need to rehome it.
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/mhdt-orchid-dac.41841/

I sold my Orchid last year as well and regret it some days. My new DAC is wonderful and a significant upgrade...was just not listening to the Orchid anymore. MHDT products / Orchid are fantastic DAC at their price points and IMHO cannot be beat below $2k for anyone that values timbre.

Thanks. I have tried different tubes and am currently running a Western Electric WA396a in both. I'm not necessarily looking to upgrade per se. I renovated a studio/office and am setting up a system with Falcon LS 3/5a speakers and AKG K-501 and Stax 404 headphones. I'm sure I will be pursuing many of the tweeks suggested here and by you as I have in the past. Thanks again.

Also - just a quick heads up to this group as I think these might be useful to the MHDT crowd....

I have some rare(er) 6922/ECC88 types that I'm going to be listing for sale in the next month or so... I also have a TDA1541A S1 Single Crown. If anyone is interested for their MHDT / Orchid feel free to send a PM. I had been holding onto a lot of tubes after selling my Orchid - seems silly at this point to keep all of this stuff. These were all purchased NOS from Langrex. I used each for about an hour (max). These ended up as "backups" within my personal collection - which is why they went relatively unused.

• Mullard E188CC Holland Made
  • Amperex Holland Made / Orange Globes (matched pair)

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #763 of 897
I’m still using my MHDT Lab Havana with AD1856 op amps and Electro-Harmonix 6SN7 tube. I modified the top cover to fit the tube.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #765 of 897
I see the AD1856 listed a DAC. Did you replace her original DAC chips with the AD1856 and which model of chip? Feedback? Thanks.

Oops, I meant DAC. I’m not sure which model of AD1856’s I used. I got them from eBay and it took a long time to get here from China. (I’m in the U.S.) It improved the sound considerably for me because it made it more detailed and more treble rich. Since the Havana is pretty warm overall I found it to be an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back