MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Mar 4, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #76 of 897
Really enjoying the GE Triple Mica in the Pagoda right now. Gives me just the right amount of treble with some nice bass and good soundstage/detail. It doesn't do anything wrong and doesn't emphasize anything overly much. I also really like them in the Atlantis. One nice thing is that I really can't tell a difference between the 5-star red or white triple micas and the non-5-star, which saves me some money. :wink:

Also a quick update regarding the soundstage question earlier: I think the 6N2P (with adapters) throws the largest soundstage overall. I still think I prefer the GE Triple Mica, Western Electric, Bendix, and Tung-Sol D-Getter to it though.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #79 of 897
I think I'm going to try the GE's since I am unable to find a matched pair of 2c51 Tung Sol D getters. Thanks for the heads up.

What are you looking for in comparison to Western Electrics?

1. GE Triple Micas will give you a bit bigger bass and a little more air without pushing the treble up much... that makes them sound wholly superior, but they're not. They're a little less articulate with a less impressive soundstage. The Western Electrics are famous for a reason.
  2. Bendix will give you a lot more air and detail, as well as superior separation (at the cost of extra treble if you're sensitive).
  3. Tung-Sol 2C51 D-Getters will get you similar results to the Bendix, but pushed down a bit (less treble) and slightly thinner.
  4. Sylvania Gold Brand get you increased bass and treble--the treble might actually be more significant than the Bendix. I'd only roll those if you need a lot more treble with your setup.

Getting good matched pairs of any 5670 type tubes can be a pain in the butt. I guess it's the cost of getting the balanced version.

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #80 of 897
Experimenting some more with the 6N2P-EV tube tonight. Swapping between the two adapters I bought, I can't hear a difference.

The soundstage on the 6N2P-EV is just bonkers. The cost is quite a bit more treble energy that I don't love.

So I'm rolling in some tubes on the Garage1217 Project Sunrise III right now to see what I can do to tame it down.

RCA 6SN7GT Smoked Glass tubes might very well do the trick. They settle the treble down a bit and introduce more tube euphony that the 6N2P-EV lacks (it's a very detailed tube with tons of soundstage, but doesn't sound like a warm blanket on a cold rainy day like I tend to love).

Being able to combine the traits of two tubes (one in the dac, one in the amp) is pretty exciting. Do I couple the soundstage and detail of the 6N2P with a warm tough of syrup on the amp? Do I take the lovely sound of the GE Triple Mica and complement it with a tube in the amp that brings out the soundstage?

Fun stuff. 

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #81 of 897
One impression of the MHDT Stockholm V2 on tour. I'm wondering if the tube is going out prematurely as the reviewers mention slight bloomy bass which is uncharacteristic of the Bendix tube I fitted it with..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/797275/tour-mhdt-labs-stockholm-v2-nos-dac-tour-pcm56p-j-r2r-d-a-chips-bendix-2c51-tube-24-192-input/45#post_12397753

Quote:

Overall Impressions:

I found that MHDT’s product had a little bloom to the bass, which was especially noticeable via my WA6 – in fact with this pairing the bass was a bit overpowering, a little too fat and lacking in some control.  The Stockholm was slightly recessed (that might be too strong a word … but it was not as prominent as with the other DACs I used) when it came to deeper female vocals and yet managed to be a little sibilant with some of the brighter female voices (in places I’m not used to said sibilance).

Treble detail seems excellent and has a little extra sweetness to it compared to what I’m used to.  There’s a nice sense of space and air and things don’t get muddled when there’s a lot going on.  This never got fatiguing and had me exploring piece after piece that benefits from a delicate, sweet and detailed handling of the upper mid-to-treble range (primarily small ensemble acoustic stuff).

I imagine the tube-DAC feeding tube-AMP configuration here is responsible for much of the low-end bloom and the extra treble sweetness.  These elements were still audible, but much less pronounced, when played through my Ragnarok, though the bass prominence and plumpness was still quite apparent with my speaker rig.

The soundstage I found to be quite expansive and, when paired with speakers, nicely three dimensional (more on that in a bit).

Overall I found the Stockholm v2 to be very musical, possessing a lovely sweet and detailed treble and, paired properly amp-wise, a very satisfying if somewhat warm bottom end.  The mid-range was lucid and engaging and the overall instrumental tone was beguilingly rich.

I didn’t get to spend any time rolling tubes but I imagine that doing so would make it relatively easy to adjust the bass suitably, bring out the upper female vocal range a bit and maybe round off the little bit of unexpected sibilance on some (not all) higher pitched vocals.

Despite the fat and somewhat less-controlled sounding lower registers with the WA6 pairing, I found myself listening well into the small hours with the Stockholm, WA6 and HD650.  A slightly leaner tube would improve that further and I think it’s a wonderful combination.

Not that I mean to suggest the MHDT product is limited to that end of the gear spectrum, it was a lovely listen through my Ragnarok as well, but I found it to be particularly musical and engaging with the WA6 and HD650.

Compared to the Chord Mojo:

The Mojo is definitely more neutral, exhibits none of the Stockholm’s slight de-emphasis in the mid-range, has a much more even, taught, detailed and controlled bass, didn’t exhibit the sibilance I found in the Stockholm but also lacked the upper-end sweetness and generally juicy sounding mids.  Also, I’d give the Mojo the upper hand from an imaging perspective both with headphones and, particularly, with speakers.

So … while more accurate and more detailed, the Mojo drew me into the music less than the MHDT unit, unless there was a lot of energy in the female vocals or the bass line was particularly deep and driving.

Big orchestral pieces favored the Mojo, partly for it’s imaging and partly because it provided better separation between instruments.

Compared to the Bifrost “4490”:

The Schiit unit is much drier and more controlled, but no less extended, in the lower registers, flatter through the mids and ess interesting (though probably more accurate) in the upper-mid to treble regions.  Feeding the WA6 it was the most neutral presentation excepting the Yggdrasil, but was a bit less engaging for it.

I felt the MHDT was letting me experience more of the nuance of voices than the 4490, and then, through the Ragnarok, the 4490 seemed a bit harsher and less forgiving with anything that wasn’t extremely well recorded.  The Stockholm was, also, a more pleasant listen with lossy source material.

Texture and timbre of instruments are more natural, to my ears, with the MHDT DAC than with the “4490”, and notably with woodwind and string instruments there’s a little extra richness to the tone than I find with the Schiit component.

Compared to Yggdrasil:

This is a rather unfair comparison.  The Yggdrasil is the best DAC I’ve yet heard - and that list includes some very much more expensive gear.

The MHDT piece doesn’t do badly here at all, but it doesn’t have the detail, neutrality, ability to, somehow, make everything in the mix seem to be the focus all at once (not technically possible, of course, but I don’t know how else to describe it), that Yggdrasil has.

Soundstage/imaging out of the Yggy is out of this world.

In some places the Stockholm is a bit more “fun”, and it is more forgiving of poor recordings/lossy encodings, and there is some artificial sweetness or lushness in places that make it a cozier listen … and that’s very desirable at times – but it’s not as truthful or, overall, as satisfying as Schiit’s monster.

With Speakers:

My speaker system projects a very palpable, three dimensional, sound stage.  The Stockholm was able to play to this very nicely and, I think, does a better job there than even the Akurate DSM that is the primary source for that system (at about 10x the MHDT units price).

While I think the Mojo just edges out the Stockholm on overall imaging and instrument placement, it’s pretty close.  Only Yggdrasil is convincingly and obviously more capable here, fixing things in solid positions with no drift and no question as to what is where.

Another facet of my speaker rig is the active drive with active crossovers and eight independent channels of amplification with an Isobarik bass configuration.  This system doesn’t need subwoofers at all, and with the MHDT and the stock tube it was overpowering and went beyond bloomy into overdone and boomy.

Using USB:

My use of USB audio is entirely limited to portable scenarios, either with my 12” Retina Mac Book/15” Mac Book Pro or my iPhone/iPad.  As a result, I don’t own/use any USB re-clockers, conditioners or isolators.

Driven directly from the 12” Retina Mac Book I found the results with the Stockholm to be a mess; timing seemed way off, brass instruments had an unusually harsh edge, and it was not a pleasant listen at all.  The Mojo had no such issues here, nor did the Yggdrasil.

Using the Mac Book Pro, Mac Pro, iPhone or iPad as USB sources exhibited no such problems, so I’d chalk this up to the Stockholm being more sensitive to the quality of the USB source than some other units.

Of note, my Bifrost also suffered when fed with the Mac Book – but not to nearly the same degree.  Whether this is something to do with the CM6631A USB interface (common to the Bifrost and the Stockholm) or the way each device implements it I don’t know.

USB cables were all AudioQuest Cinnamon, with terminations appropriate for the target DAC.

General Notes:

The vast majority of my listening was done feeding the Stockholm v2 via TOSLINK (with a Lifatec glass cable), from a Mac Pro running the latest version of Audirvana with a combination of lossless Redbook CD rips and various 16/44.1 to 24/192 KHz HDTracks/Linn Records downloads and TIDAL for other 16/44.1 material. 

I used Spotify for some lossy-listening evaluations.

My Bifrost is a very early unit, upgraded to the “4490” board and has the USB Gen 1 board in it.  It only had USB in it at all as a “just in case” measure, so I never bothered with the Gen 2 upgrade.  This is the first cause I’ve had to use that interface for any kind of critical listening.

I listened using AKG Q701, Sennheiser HD650 and HD800S, LCD-2.2c and Abyss headphones.  My general impressions remained constant across those headphones.  With the AKG Q701 the plummy bass of the stock tube in the MHDT was very welcome, where with the LCD-2.2c and Abyss it was too much.

The LCD-2.2c and HD650 responded particularly well to the sweet and detailed treble of the Stockholm, but the Audeze’s weren’t such a good match, regardless of amplification for the MHDT unit’s slight deeper vocal recess.

Amplifiers used were my WA6, original Lyr, Ragnarok and, for speakers, an Akurate Kontrol/1 with dual Akurate 4200 power amplifiers.  All exhibited the same, fundamental, signature with the Stockholm, the the WA6 definitely emphasized the bass bloom and treble sweetness.

Personal Conclusions:

One of the most interesting aspects of this tour, for me, was the fact that I have been trying to decide upon a DAC to permanently pair with my WA6 – which I bought a) to let me play with a pure-tube amplifier and b) as a dedicated bed-side rig.

For a while I’ve used the Mojo to feed it and that’s been very nice and it was going to come down to that and either a multi-bit Bifrost or I’d repurpose the 4490 for the WA6 and replace it with a multi-bit model.

As things stand my intention is to put a Stockholm v2 with my WA6 and find a tube that tightens/lightens up the bass a bit and make it the mainstay of my secondary stack at home.  It fit particularly well there with the HD650 and did a nice job with the HD800S, and it’s sweet but detailed treble and rich tone treat acoustic pieces in a particularly lovely manner.

It’s an engaging, detailed and still completely relaxing listen there, while also being able to exhibit drive and pace and solid rhythm with more neutral amplification/headphones.

I would not describe the MHDT as overly euphoric … but it tends more towards euphony than towards being utterly technical.  It doesn’t skimp on detail at all.  A very satisfying middle ground, I would say … most of the best of tubes and solid-state combined.

Value seems very good, and the ability to tune the signature with a solid array of alternate tubes makes it particularly interesting and flexible.  Loved the musicality of the thing and I’ll definitely miss it until mine arrives.

No doubt I’ll remember things I wanted to mention the moment I post this, but I’ll update if/when that occurs!

---

Many thanks to @Soundsgoodtome for arranging the tour and letting me participate, and a very nice job from MHDT with a very musical and entertaining product!

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #82 of 897
Excellent impressions. The Bendix definitely doesn't have bloomy bass. It's well extended and tighly controlled. I actually prefer looser bass or I might like the Bendix more.

P.S. @Soundsgoodtome Eagerly awaiting even brief impressions of the Pagoda vs. Stockholm V2 vs. Atlantis. It could help folks interested in MHDT dacs pin down their purchase.

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #83 of 897
  Excellent impressions. The Bendix definitely doesn't have bloomy bass. It's well extended and tighly controlled. I actually prefer looser bass or I might like the Bendix more.

P.S. @Soundsgoodtome Eagerly awaiting even brief impressions of the Pagoda vs. Stockholm V2 vs. Atlantis. It could help folks interested in MHDT dacs pin down their purchase.

@s1rrah, you had the stockholm V2 for a very long time and are familiar with the bendix tube in question. Any input? Does the S2 slightly bloom the bass? Or do you think the tube is going bad?

And to be honest @Luckbad, I didn't get any full sit-down time with the Stockholm before shipping it out. I basically just shipped it after 5 days of non-stop burn in at work with the speakers but I can give an impression on the Atlantis vs the Pagoda sometime next week. I'll have tonight and tomorrow to listen to the rig and really get a feel of the Atlantis.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #84 of 897
MHDT Labs Atlantis:

I've had the Atlantis DAC for about 2 weeks now on loan from @Luckbad and after giving it some time to settle (50hrs when I received it and maybe another 150-200hrs of music on top of that), I think I've heard enough to come to some conclusions in comparison to the Pagoda. First the Atlantis are fitted with dual AD1862 R2R chips, essentially the same layout as the Pagoda and Stockholm 2, this DAC is the newest addition to the MHDT Labs family. The main difference I can see between it and the other two models is a smaller toroidal transformer on the Atlantis. This is the same smaller toroidal used in the older Havana models as well as the Paradisea units. Other than that the input capabilities are the same (up 24-bit/192khz hires files) and output in 16-bit (Pagoda is 24-bit output).

The Atlantis holds that same house sound the MHDT Labs has which is a warm/neutral tone with very good details and accuracy. The Atlantis seem to be the best in mid to mid-highs detail retrieval, even surpassing the Stockolm 2 and Pagoda in this aspect! Part of this could be due to it's drier sound signature in comparison to the euphonic Stockholm and Pagoda. Another attribute that may be playing into this mid/mid-high detail retrieval is it's early roll-off of the treble along with the dry signature. What happens here is subtleties "hidden" or pushed back in the music becomes more apparent in comparison to the Stockholm where it sweetens the treble tremendously while keeping the details. Also just like with the Pagoda, the treble is also more euphonic but faster than the Stockholm and even more extended (at times possibly sibilant with poor/mediocre recordings) than the Stockholm. The best way to put this mid-focused sounding Atlantis is very similar to those who have heard a properly cabled and amped HD650, with the treble rolled the amount of detail being retrieved/perceived in the mids and mid-highs is incredible.

The Atlantis offers great sound quality that is a bit mid-centric but the bottom end can be expanded with different tubes. A more euphoric sound can be achieved with different tubes but my favorite tube for use is the Bendix 2C51 which with the Pagoda and Atlantis offers some of the fastest sound I've heard in comparison to other tubes. The AEG variant (which is nearly impossible to find but is half the price of the Bendix) is very close in sound and provides a thicker bottom end and a slightly more euphonic sound but again, I like the tight bass the Bendix provides.

One of the down downside being fitted with a smaller toroidal it seems is less dynamics. The bass, while capable of extending to the sub-bass region, lacks the slam some music calls for. The bass is still very well present but lacking that punch that the Pagoda and Stockholm provides, I believe if MHDT fitted these with the larger toroidals it may solve this issue. While it doesn't take much away from the performance of the DAC, it leaves this end of the spectrum lacking that emotion bass slam can create with classical music. This is incredibly apparent when listening to Gustavo Dudamel's "Discoveries" CD, one of my main reference albums to test dynamics. I will be testing later tonight with the Audio-GD SA31SE to verify this finding, as initially I've only been using the Cavalli Liquid Carbon with the Atlantis.

The treble roll-off is also a bit of an issue if you enjoy the sparkle and crash of cymbals, if you're treble sensitive this DAC plays well into your sound signature. The roll-off only changes the sound subtly but it is enough to miss the top end of sound when looking for it. This may or may not be solved with a larger power supply as it may very well be the tuning of the DAC (read; intentional roll-off).

The soundstage is good on the Atlantis, putting instruments from far left to far right and but it is a 1st row listener. It does lack a bit of depth/imaging in the sound signature in comparison to the Stockholm, which may be associated with the drier signature, and even more so in comparison to the Pagoda. This is more apparent with headphones than speakers, something worth mentioning. The instrument separation is still excellent as well as placement but it lacks a bit of that 3D imaging that the other DACs are capable of.

All in all, the Atlantis is a fantastic offering by MHDT Labs. It is also the least expensive R2R DAC offered by MHDT and I would definitely take one over any Delta Sigma DACs as well as over the Schiit Bifrost Multibit. With the smaller toroidal used on the Atlantis and the price ($370 less than the Pagoda and $120 less than the Stockholm V2), I believe MHDT has made this their entry level. If MHDT Labs can offer these with a larger transformer it may be an excellent end-game for a lot of people, one that will provide excellent detail retrieval, with less euphonics than the other models as well as deep/impacting bass and extended highs with a slight roll-off. Until then it is a fantastic entry-point into the MHDT Labs family and could very well be labeled as a side-grade to the Stockholm V2 and depending on taste a side-grade on the the Pagoda.

Gear I'm using:
Lossless Files (some Hi-Res 24/96 files) > Foobar2K > Audio-GD DI-U8 DDC > MHDT Labs Atlantis > Cavalli Liquid Carbon > Hifiman HE560

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #85 of 897
Great write-up @Soundsgoodtome 

I find the Atlantis needs a different tube than the Pagoda. For me, it's why I love the GE Triple Mica so much. It adds to the bottom end without messing with the treble or the lovely mids. For others, they might prefer something that piles on the treble (Sylvania Gold Grid, for example), but I'm not a treble fan and therefore prefer the GE.

I'm eagerly awaiting hearing the Stockholm. The Atlantis does a great job pairing with tube amps, but I could see it being less ideal with solid states.

almost grabbed a Stockholm instead of a second Atlantis, but I was enjoying the sound after tailoring the tubes in both my dac and amp so much that I didn't want to deviate.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #86 of 897
  Great write-up @Soundsgoodtome 

I find the Atlantis needs a different tube than the Pagoda. For me, it's why I love the GE Triple Mica so much. It adds to the bottom end without messing with the treble or the lovely mids. For others, they might prefer something that piles on the treble (Sylvania Gold Grid, for example), but I'm not a treble fan and therefore prefer the GE.

I'm eagerly awaiting hearing the Stockholm. The Atlantis does a great job pairing with tube amps, but I could see it being less ideal with solid states.

almost grabbed a Stockholm instead of a second Atlantis, but I was enjoying the sound after tailoring the tubes in both my dac and amp so much that I didn't want to deviate.

I will try the GE Triple Micca White Label and JW WE 2C51 later tonight for the final listening, I can see how those two plays well with the Atlantis signature.

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #87 of 897
Quick Comparison between the Pagoda and Atlantis

I've been using the Pagoda (temporarily swapped with @Soundsgoodtome) at work for two weeks now. That gives me 8-12 hours of listening a day for about 10 days, so I've become familiar with the sound.

The first thing that struck me with the Pagoda was the treble. I'm very sensitive to treble, and some of my test tracks became fatiguing quickly, even causing me a headache after my first ~2 hour session. Whether this was attributable to the Bendix tube or the Pagoda itself was not yet clear.

That prompted me to roll a different tube in the Garage1217 Project Sunrise III. I normally use a 6N6P/6H6Pi tube, but I needed something to roll the treble. I opted to try out the RCA 6SNGT, and that did the trick.

Now I was hearing tons of detail without nearly as much fatigue. The RCA in my amp has a bit of a softer sound than I prefer, though, so I ultimately swapped the Bendix tube for a Western Electric and went back to the 6N6P in the amp.

This is the point at which I stopped listening to tubes and started listening to music.

The Pagoda offers excellent detail retrieval, stellar dynamics, and a very organic and natural listening experience. It has the most clarity of any NOS dac that I've yet heard, in line with many of the TOTL dacs out there.

The Atlantis, in contrast, is a more liquid sound. It's an easier, more romantic listen to my ears, but still has the same organic natural feel of the Pagoda. It is smoother and more rolled off in the highs, which is a great thing for my treble sensitivity.

When using Western Electric tubes in both DACs, I was not able to easily distinguish between the two in A/B swaps. But it seems they respond very differently to different tubes.

It seems to me that the Pagoda can be nudged in different directions with tubes, while the Atlantis can be pushed in different directions.

In short, the Atlantis is more tube sensitive than the Pagoda. I'm not sure why that is, to be honest.

With the Pagoda, you get a strong backbone with excellent dynamics, depth, and detail, but still a euphonic presentation. If you want to dial the treble down a touch, you can use a tube. If you want to increase detail a bit, you can do it with a tube.

With the Atlantis, you get a dac with a wide soundstage, excellent speed, good detail retrieval and clarity, and a warm organic presentation. Want a dry presentation with better detail and more treble? Try a Bendix. Want more bass and more treble? Sylvania Gold. Want powerful bass and more euphonics? GE Triple Mica. Want to dramatically increase the depth of the soundstage as well as detail and treble? 6N2P (with adapter).

The Atlantis and Pagoda are both awesome. I would be happy with both as my primary dac. I feel you need to adjust your system a fair bit when swapping between them, particularly in the tube department. As you become familiar with the sound of one, the other sounds slightly wrong if you're using the same tube. Luckily, we can tube roll, so all is right in the world.

For me personally, I love the Atlantis and don't regret purchasing it. I actually prefer it to the Pagoda because I like the rolled off treble and what I find to be increased sensitivity to tube rolling. Will I prefer the Atlantis to the Stockholm? We'll find out after the tour is over and I get to hear it.

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #88 of 897
After trying the Atlantis last night with the WE 2C51 tube, I can say that the Atlantis does get changed quite a bit more in tube-rolling than the Pagoda. With the military (JW) WE 2C51, the bass slam is now there. Still not quite like the Pagoda but very close. The mids also get a touch more tube euphonics with the WE tube, meaning that you can go from a dry solid-state like sound with the Bendix to a tubey signature with the WE or similar tube. The highs still roll off quite a bit but the extra euphonics masks this to a degree. For the price, the Atlantis is quite a contender and definitely shows why the AD R2R chips used in it is equivalent to the Pagoda's PCM1704.

I'd still like to see MHDT Labs use the larger toroidal in the Atlantis even if that means increasing the price a little bit. I suspect the sound quality with the right tube will be competing with the Pagoda. Which maybe is the reason for the lesser parts used in the first place.

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #89 of 897
  After trying the Atlantis last night with the WE 2C51 tube, I can say that the Atlantis does get changed quite a bit more in tube-rolling than the Pagoda. With the military (JW) WE 2C51, the bass slam is now there. Still not quite like the Pagoda but very close. The mids also get a touch more tube euphonics with the WE tube, meaning that you can go from a dry solid-state like sound with the Bendix to a tubey signature with the WE or similar tube. The highs still roll off quite a bit but the extra euphonics masks this to a degree. For the price, the Atlantis is quite a contender and definitely shows why the AD R2R chips used in it is equivalent to the Pagoda's PCM1704.

I'd still like to see MHDT Labs use the larger toroidal in the Atlantis even if that means increasing the price a little bit. I suspect the sound quality with the right tube will be competing with the Pagoda. Which maybe is the reason for the lesser parts used in the first place.

After the year warranty I might try to find a way to replace the toroidal transformer with something mo' betta.

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #90 of 897
This is how I've been testing out tubes, cables, and other assorted potential snake oil items that I feel make a difference.

Headphones: Sennheiser HD650
Amplifier: Garage1217 Project Sunrise III with 6H6P-I tube
DAC #1: MHDT Atlantis
DAC #2: MHDT Atlantis
Switcher: Schiit Sys
Software: JRiver with two zones outputting simultaneously in a bitperfect direct connection via linked zones
Cables: Stock, AudioQuest power cables (two variants), AudioQuest Cinnamon USB, AudioQuest Cinnamon RCA, Schiit Pyst, Blue Jeans RCA, Kabeldirekt RCA
Other: USB DAC-UP ports on my computer, UpTone Regen

Using a matched pair of GE 5-Star White tubes to test the non-tubes.

Cables make a very small difference. I can hear a slight increase in clarity and separation using AudioQuest cables for most of the chain (Blue Jeans for the RCA though, as the AudioQuest RCA is coming from the Schiit Sys to my amp) versus the stock USB and power cables. It's audible, but only just. Only the USB or the power cable versus a 14AWG Monoprice power cable and I can't really hear a change.

Blue Jeans makes about as much difference versus Kabeldirekt. Like, 1-2% blacker background.

The Regen makes a slightly bigger change than cables. Cleaner with a blacker background. This is the only change I can definitively verify every time (~90% of the time) when I shuffle the RCA cables and try to decide which one has the better gear on it. USB + Power cable + RCA and I can tell almost every time (~75%). Change only one of three cables and I'm guessing.

Stack all of the cables + an UpTone Regen and I'm getting a cleaner, blacker background with a slightly less soft sound when compared to all stock. Improvement on the order of ~5%.

Just as interesting to me is tube testing. I still have a crapload of tubes. Right now, I'm checking out the Sylvania JAN 5670 against the GE 5 Star. The GE has a more tube-like sound with more bottom end. The Sylvania gives more treble and less bottom end with a slightly leaner sound.

Tube differences are pretty obvious here to me, which is quite nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back