MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Dec 29, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #556 of 897
I've had the Pagoda in for a few days now. It's excellent! I know that's an obvious statement but as a long time user of MHDT dacs from the Paradesia (which my friend is still using and loving everyday) age I'm thrilled to hear it still has the MHDT house sound. It has a crap load more detail however. It's smooth and warm yet still detailed! That's my sound signature to a "T" !

Dec 31, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #557 of 897
New entry here.
IMG_20211229_183425.jpg

Dec 31, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #559 of 897
Nice. Does that mean that MHDT is refreshing their offering with new models and design? This Toucan seems below Orchid but costs the same. New line seems also significantly more expensive..
I am not very sure, this is my first contact with MHDT.
I asked for the newest model and they sent this one.
I can see new form factor and 6922 tube in contrast with the older models.
This one seems to be the cheaper alternative to the Oolong.

It is still very early but the sound is very very engaging and organic, fatigue free and not digital at all.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #560 of 897
I am not very sure, this is my first contact with MHDT.
I asked for the newest model and they sent this one.
I can see new form factor and 6922 tube in contrast with the older models.
This one seems to be the cheaper alternative to the Oolong.

It is still very early but the sound is very very engaging and organic, fatigue free and not digital at all.
As for the sound Your description is stright to the point, why people like MHDT:) add good imagining and keeping the details (although not at this artificial levels of Sabre DACs).

New form and 6922 tube is visible at first glance, You could use 6922 in old versions through adapter though (which many, including me, do). If new Orchid went up to usd 2k this is significant price increase. I wonder what are orher changes.

In any case new models are also very interesting. Let us know Your impressions:)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #563 of 897
I understand that not this year:) best:)

Btw any comparison to other R2R DAC (Denafrips?) would be very interesting, if possible.
I have sold or returned my Denafrips DACs.

Now my reference DAC is this one
Lab12

I will be raw in this, real NOS with tube buffer sounds better than any Denafrips offer at the respective price point.

Fuller, more analog and organic without loss in technicalities.

Dec 31, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #564 of 897
I will be raw in this, real NOS with tube buffer sounds better than any Denafrips offer at the respective price point.

Fuller, more analog and organic without loss in technicalities.
Wow, many thanks for this! This was the question me and some others asked several times:)

Full, analog and realistic details is what most of us is looking for:)

Can not wait for Your review than. I hope You will have a chance to listen to Orchid as well at some point.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #566 of 897
@Ichos one more question. Have You had a chance to listen to Audial? Aya or "s" line? It seems quite nice DAC based on TDA1541a (same as some of MHDT) but not many info on it.
I have contacted Audial, they are positive about a review but customs regulations to import and then export to Serbia are going to cost a lot and they are hesitant.
There is a chance that the owner will visit Greece and handle me a unit but by then it will be full summer.

Jan 1, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #567 of 897
Going to be getting the orchid soon (non SE version). Trying to understand the tube options here and LTA is offering the LM Ericsson 5670. They say it's very similar to the WE 396A. I'm new to this and I haven't been able to find much here (there was a post earlier). Anyone else have experience with these two options? I don't see the Ericsson on Jiuns list on the MHDT website.

Jan 1, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #568 of 897
I have contacted Audial, they are positive about a review but customs regulations to import and then export to Serbia are going to cost a lot and they are hesitant.
There is a chance that the owner will visit Greece and handle me a unit but by then it will be full summer.
This will be quite interesting. Fingers crossed.

Jan 1, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #569 of 897
Going to be getting the orchid soon (non SE version). Trying to understand the tube options here and LTA is offering the LM Ericsson 5670. They say it's very similar to the WE 396A. I'm new to this and I haven't been able to find much here (there was a post earlier). Anyone else have experience with these two options? I don't see the Ericsson on Jiuns list on the MHDT website.
WE 396a is considered to have good soundstage, but some say it may be a bit brighter than others. I have not heard anything about Ericsson 5670. I suggest You take one of them and buy an adapter to 6922 that will allow You to use 6922 tubes (many options here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back