MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Oct 7, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #497 of 897
The Mullard E188CC is a very good valve! Very likely the same as the CV2493 which I love, or very close indeed to it. I've seen some Mullards labelled with the two marks, E188CC and CV2493.

I think you have the best sounding on the planet of the 6922 family - and it's great to know you like the sound.

I'm sure the Tungsram mentioned here are also very good. I've had two variants of Tungsram and one was excellent, superb sound, very close indeed to the CVV2493. It seems that 'warp' probably has this or similar.

I'm glad the change to high quality 6922 has worked out well for you both - now relax and enjoy the music!
What would you say is the highest value of going to E188CC versus the original family? I’ve got the Orchid for a while and tried quite a few highly rated tubes with great results. Wondering what the E188CC family (or specifically the Mullard E188CC) brings to the table that top tubes in the original family don’t have? Many thanks.

Oct 8, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #499 of 897
How good is the Sound from the Orchid in Original Version?
With the stock tube the Orchid sounded nice but if you roll tubes you can improve it’s sound quite a bit, specially in the bass and details, refinement. Tubes for it are not very expensive and it’s a lot of fun to modify the sound. I still own the Paradisea, one of the first NOS DAC produced by MHDT, the Orchid is quite an improvement but the Paradisea is so nice I kept it for a secondary system.

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #500 of 897
With the stock tube the Orchid sounded nice but if you roll tubes you can improve it’s sound quite a bit, specially in the bass and details, refinement. Tubes for it are not very expensive and it’s a lot of fun to modify the sound. I still own the Paradisea, one of the first NOS DAC produced by MHDT, the Orchid is quite an improvement but the Paradisea is so nice I kept it for a secondary system.
Thank you for the feedback.
I saw the Paradisea on Ebay for €500, so I'm still thinking about it.
I think it's a bit outdated compared to the others.
The Orchid would be more of a close choice next to an Audio Note 2.1.
The Paradisea would probably not be bad for a start.

Oct 8, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #501 of 897
You might also consider the Istanbul in your quest for an MHDT DAC.
I was lucky enough to pick one up for 500 USD I wouldn't trade it for a Bifrost 2.

Oct 8, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #502 of 897
I have an Orchid. Love it. I sprinkled a little touch of extra warmth on via tube upgrade. Also, agree with @DTgill

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #503 of 897
Hello,

I have contacted Mhdt Labs and the support there seems to be currently not staffed to answer questions.
Is this normal or is there a reason?

I saw the Orchid on Ebay.com for a short time and it was quickly removed from the auction.

Everything seems to be a bit strange.
I'm still looking for a store if possible Europe and not the Danish that there is, because it is quite expensive.

The one in Canada does not have the Orchid and the one in the Usa I have not yet inquired.
Would be a shame if there was a lack of support.

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #504 of 897
Hello,

I have contacted Mhdt Labs and the support there seems to be currently not staffed to answer questions.

I saw the Orchid on Ebay.com for a short time and it was quickly removed from the auction.

I'm still looking for a store if possible Europe and not the Danish that there is, because it is quite expensive.

The one in Canada does not have the Orchid and the one in the Usa I have not yet inquired.
The couple of times I've had a question, they responded in a timely manner.

Oct 12, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #505 of 897
Hello,

I respectfully disagree. I emailed a tube question last night and got a response in literally one minute.

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #506 of 897
Hello,

If you find the Danish shop expensive (yes, their is a significant price difference - but don't forget the price includes shipping, customs clearance and VAT), you can also buy your Orchid directly from MHDT LAB. You find all the necessary information on their website. I did that when I bought my Canary.

Oct 22, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #507 of 897
Garage1217 6SN7 TO 5670
Psvane 6SN7-SE
Sounds Awesome!
istan.jpg

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #508 of 897
MHDT Labs Orchid 69SE with TDA1541 double crown chip and 6922 tube
Just noticed MHDT offered one of these on ebay. Significantly more expensive than the standard Orchid. Very different appearance. It's got me really curious. Anybody here had a chance to listen to one of these or know anything about it? Looks like MHDT obtained a small quantity of the double-crown chips and decided to modify the circuit to allow use of 6DJ8/6922 family of tubes.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #509 of 897
MHDT Labs Orchid 69SE with TDA1541 double crown chip and 6922 tube
Just noticed MHDT offered one of these on ebay. Significantly more expensive than the standard Orchid. Very different appearance. It's got me really curious. Anybody here had a chance to listen to one of these or know anything about it? Looks like MHDT obtained a small quantity of the double-crown chips and decided to modify the circuit to allow use of 6DJ8/6922 family of tubes.
Could you post a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back