MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Apr 27, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #436 of 894
Nice to see this thread have traction until today, been a minute since checking into the Hi-Fi world.

As for the Pagoda being bright, it is their most "detailed" DAC... this tend to make it their brightest offering - although compared to sigma delta dacs, it's still quite more pleasing to the ear. I presume you are listening to lossless tracks that are well recorded.

I would recommend to pair the Pagoda with something with a laid back sound signature in the speaker or headphone output. The Stockholm line is what was more laid back, with a slight pronounced mid (although easily altered with tube rolling). The Philips TDA chip offering was the most laid back. IIRC, the MHDT dacs needed some time to settle in. I used to let them run for a few weeks before judging, also powered them off each day briefly to cycle the tube. I used to use the most economical power cable by Zu Audio out of Utah with good results, power cables make an audible difference on these dacs.
I ended up sending it back in exchange for the Orchid. It was delivered back to them today, so maybe by the end of the week I'll have n Orchid to try.
I'm not changing speakers over a DAC change, The speakers have been sounding good for the last 6 years!
You can't let a component run in for a few weeks when you only have a 2 week trial period. I also have a Audio Mirror Troubadour III SE coming so the Orchid will probably land in the headphone system

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #437 of 894
I ended up selling the Pagoda and keeping the Stockholm V2 because I thoroughly enjoyed the heavier influence of the MHDT house sound over the more transparent sounding Pagoda. The TDA1541 chip from my very first MHDT Paradisea was what introduced me into the world of R2R dacs, as well as non oversampling with tube buffer.

Here's a throwback review of what got me into MHDT Labs: https://positive-feedback.com/Issue38/mhdt_paradisea.htm

I ended up sending it back in exchange for the Orchid. It was delivered back to them today, so maybe by the end of the week I'll have n Orchid to try.
I'm not changing speakers over a DAC change, The speakers have been sounding good for the last 6 years!
You can't let a component run in for a few weeks when you only have a 2 week trial period. I also have a Audio Mirror Troubadour III SE coming so the Orchid will probably land in the headphone system

Enjoy the music!

*Edit:: I didn't write that review /\

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #439 of 894
Oh no!! I did not write that review, it was what got me into MHDT Labs when I was reading about it several years back. :)

And that's the review that prompted me to jump the fence and buy the Canary. So that was you. Thanks for that thorough review. Good job. :)

Jun 14, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #440 of 894
I have an Atlantis incoming this week... have a question... is it worth checking out 6922 tubes?? I read through this thread and a few other... not much of a consensus other than the ability for more variety...

I did happen to order a converter for giggles... it was cheap :)

converter.jpg

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #441 of 894
IMHO there's little doubt that it's worth doing. Seems to me that *almost* everybody who has tried it has liked it.
I have an Atlantis incoming this week... have a question... is it worth checking out 6922 tubes?? I read through this thread and a few other... not much of a consensus other than the ability for more variety...

converter.jpg

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #442 of 894

converter.jpg

Definitely worth trying, with a proviso as follows.

Now all this is my personal opinion, others may have different opinions.

I have experience with many types of valves. In most cases, the difference between different NOS valves of a certain type is fairly subtle, and sometimes the best current production valves may be close to a typical NOS.

Not at all so with the 6922 family! There is a very wide range of performance. Poor current production and typical russian 6n23p are awful. Most NOS are kind of OK but nothing special, Mullard 6DJ8 I found restrained almost boring, Philips a touch hard sounding, Mullard CV2492 OK but unexceptional, some Tungsram were OK, fairly good but nothing to get excited about.
So don't expect to get an average 6922 and get much improvement over a typical NOS standard valve.
However, there are some good 6922; look for E88CC-01 or 6922-01, in particular Mullard CV2493 which I find excellent; I used one in my MHDT and it was significantly better than the standard type of valve. They are perhaps hard to find and expensive, but worth it IMO. I have all I need!
In a phono stage, someone else's preamp, and a couple of CD players I have tried a whole lot of 6922's (including expensive Siemens) and the only good one was the CV2493, and by a wide margin.

Jun 14, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #443 of 894
Well the guys at LTA probably want to punch me, but I sent the Orchid back and had them return my Pagoda.
The Orchid was very nice to listen to, but the loss of resolution compared to the Pagoda was not something I could live with. If I'd only heard the Orchid, I probably would have been perfectly satisfied.
The Pagoda ended up in the headphone system and the Audio Mirror lives in the speaker system.

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #446 of 894
Are the MHDT Labs DAC's a hassle to install with windows 10, it looks like it isn't just plug and play?

I will be receiving an Istanbul next week, and want to be prepared for any problems that could arise.

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #447 of 894
Well the guys at LTA probably want to punch me, but I sent the Orchid back and had them return my Pagoda.
The Orchid was very nice to listen to, but the loss of resolution compared to the Pagoda was not something I could live with. If I'd only heard the Orchid, I probably would have been perfectly satisfied.
The Pagoda ended up in the headphone system and the Audio Mirror lives in the speaker system.
Did you wait at least 100h and tube roll the Orchid before sending it back? I started many years ago with a Paradisea, one of the first DACs MHDT produced and never changed it until about a year ago when I took the plunge on the Orchid. With the original tube it is very nice but with a better tube it can get wow, details are there if you have the right amp and cans.

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #448 of 894
Did you wait at least 100h and tube roll the Orchid before sending it back? I started many years ago with a Paradisea, one of the first DACs MHDT produced and never changed it until about a year ago when I took the plunge on the Orchid. With the original tube it is very nice but with a better tube it can get wow, details are there if you have the right amp and cans.
Yes, and I had the upgrade WE tube.

Jun 25, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #449 of 894
Yes, and I had the upgrade WE tube.
Hum, Too bad you didn’t try an Amperex, Mullard or Gold Lion. I don’t like the WE, too sterile for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back