MHDT Labs Pagoda - Any owners out there?
Oct 3, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #31 of 174
I'm really glad you guys are offering up some reviews and feedback on the Pagoda.  I owned the Havana for a while but the PRaT was missing on faster music like rock (even Jack Johnson seemed a little slow and thick).  At the same time, timbre, tone and depth were so nice on the Havana.  Always wondered why MHDT wasn't marketing Pagoda more. So I admire you for giving it a try and am hoping the PCM1704 offers that little extra rhythm and speed that was missing for me with Havana.  Can't wait to hear two more opinions.  One thing for sure this time...if I ever buy a Pagoda I'm leaving it stock!  I played around with so many tubes, had boutique capacitors put in, swapped DAC chips, updated fuse, pulled my hair out trying to turn it into something it wasn't meant to be.  I'm hoping Pagoda is great out of the box -- nothing extra needed (except maybe a quality power cord).

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #32 of 174
It's interesting that you say it sounded a bit slow and that the PRaT was off.  Most, if not all the reviews I've read online say the exact opposite.  I can't help but wonder if it may have been a different component in your system that was causing this problem or perhaps some sort of impedance mismatch of cables.  Which input were you using on the Havana?  I plan to use the USB but will pick up a USB to SPDIF converter to use the coaxial input as well.  Perhaps an Audiophileo or an Audio-GD digital converter.

Also, I've read in multiple places that when using a NOS DAC it's extremely important to use good power conditioning.  Do you guys know if this holds water?  I've been eyeballing the PI Audio UberBuss but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I'm using a basic Furman PST-8D power strip and feel that it does an "OK" job.  Sure my gear sounds better plugged directly into the wall during the wee hours of the night, but I can't bring myself to forgo surge protection.  I'd hate to not be at home when something catastrophic happens and I'm unable to save my gear.  

Anyway, back on topic.  I too find it strange that MHDT hasn't pushed the Pagoda more.  I do like that they've gone with the PCM1704 and I hope it picks up where the PCM56 left off.  Perhaps giving a bit more detail without losing the organic presentation. Maybe being a little more demanding in the lower frequencies?  My fingers are crossed and I've got high hopes for this DAC.

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #33 of 174
I was using the coax input and RCA single-ended outputs.  There are so many variables -- source, cables, amp, power, speakers -- hard to say what was the biggest influence.  I've tried a lot of DACs though, both borrowed or owned, and they all have different sound signatures.  I wouldn't characterize Havana as quick.  In fact, when I see "non-fatiguing" as a descriptor of any DAC now, I try to read between the lines to see if someone is politely saying the sound is smooth, but dull and lacking in dynamics.  Even a recent professional review brought up this PRaT issue with the Stockholm v2 (which I have never heard).  At the end of the day, most equipment in this price range is going to balance/compromise somewhere, so it's just a matter of what you look for most in a DAC, and what drawbacks you're willing to live with.  I'm hoping this latest DAC brings a little more toe-tapping while still keeping the best of the Havana sound. 

Sorry -- no experience with power conditioning.  I'll keep an eye out for your impressions.

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #37 of 174
Well, I picked up the DAC from the post office this morning and spent most of the day at the office listening to this DAC.  Drivers installed without a hitch and I was up and running within minutes after unpacking the DAC.  So, after the day ended i brought it home and hooked it into my main rig and for some reason the Cmedia drivers just would not install; the PC didn't recognize the DAC.  Strangely, the drivers also wouldn't uninstall.  I tried every trick in the book and the drivers just wouldn't get off the computer.  So, as a last attempt I restored the computer to an earlier date.  After restoring the computer I tried the install one more time.  This time it seems to have taken and recognizes the DAC, but it also took about 15 minutes to install.  It seemed the process got hung up for a while on a certain step but in the end all is well.  

So I'm here at the house, listening to this DAC and I must say I'm quite impressed.  It's a lovely sounding DAC so far with only 10 hours of play total.  Straight out of the box it was a real shocker.  As said earlier in this thread, I'm not getting the warm gooey sound you'd expect from a tubed NOS DAC.  Instead everything seems very accurate without the hint of coldness.  So far so good.  Will report back later when I've got some real hours on it.  I'm sure everything is still settling in.

Cheers,
Steven

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #39 of 174
Funny you ask.  I was just talking to my buddy about it's bass.  I was caught off guard last night and was thinking it was a tad bass-shy but then was overwhelmed by clean and clear bass notes filling my room.  I used The All-Star Percussion Ensemble as my test CD, as I do with all new gear.  I've heard this CD many many times and it is my reference for how new gear performs in image, placement, tonal texture, bass extension, and if there are any artificial high frequency nasties.

Throughout the CD I heard excellent bass.  At times I thought it may have been a little lean, until 2 seconds later when I'm floored by the presence and absolute precision and weight.  I think I may have thought it was a lean presentation because it lacked bloat which most of my previous DACs have had.  I want to point out how quiet this DAC is.  It has a very dark background with a low noise floor.  I also want to point out that this DAC doesn't sound like other NOS DACs I've heard.  Some of which used the TDA1543 chipset, but not a tube buffer like the Pagoda.  The Pagoda is a neutral sounding piece that excels with natural sound.  So far, this is the most organic presentation of digital music I have heard to date.

The Pagoda really does a great job at giving you a sense of presence.  If your recording is capable, your room will be transformed into a musical hologram with notes dancing around and in front of you.  Attack is seemingly razor sharp and is fast enough to startle me even on tracks I've heard many times before.  Decay, well, it's just as good.  I noticed that the Pagoda holds onto the note and lets them lightly decay for seemingly an eternity.  A few times I actually tried to count the decay of notes but by the end I just couldn't because I was just so involved with the music.  Needless to say, if it's on the recording, you're going to hear it with this DAC.  And all this with just a handful of hours on it.  I'd be happy if the DAC didn't improve an inch over where it's currently at, but knowing it'll take a few hundred hours to really open up, I can only sit back and enjoy the ride because I know it'll be a damn good one.  Well done, MHDT Labs.  Well done indeed.

-Steven

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #40 of 174
Also, (please don't hate me), I'm not using this DAC with any headphones.  In fact, I don't have any headphones or head amps at all.  I'm using it with a Sony STR-DB930 and my Klang + Ton NADA speakers in Lee Taylor cabinets.  Sound Anchor stands, Grover Huffman cables throughout, and a Furman power strip.  I've been through my fare share of boutique gear, different preamps, power amps (both tube and solid state) and many different DACs.  I've also been through more speakers than I care to admit.  Though folks may not think the Sony would offer good sound because it's a "Home Theater Receiver", it's quite obvious when listening to it, that it's a wolf in sheep clothes.  Under the hood is a full blown Sony ES piece.  Filled to the brim with Nichicon Fine Gold caps and even uses an Alps Black Beauty potentiometer.  I'm using the Sony's 5.1 inputs which bypass all processing and are analog direct straight into the amplification stage.  Below is a picture of what I'm working with.  Unfortunately this picture was taken before the Pagoda was inserted into my system last night.  Hope you guys enjoy.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #41 of 174
Like I said in an earlier post the bass with this DAC is of the accurate kind. Clean, zero boom, detailed, tight, and it goes deep.

I never had any issues with the drivers though. I have only used the drivers with Win 8 and win 8.1. But I started using toslink instead of USB so no need for drivers now.

I am thinking about going back to USB via an external sound card but still toslink to DAC. Right now I'm running toslink from PC on-board to DAC.

I listen to a broad range of music. I toss pop, rock, death metal, rap, folk, classical, jazz at this DAC and it handles everything beyond my expectations.

Even youtube and Vevo sound fantastic.

Older MP3 files I have on hand sound great too where as my other DACs have not brought out the sound I was looking for with these sub par files. Pagoda handles everything with aplomb.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #43 of 174
And here she is in all her glory.  It's pretty evident my photo taking skills are not nearly as good as the OP's.   I hope to put another 20 or so hours on the Pagoda this weekend and see how it shapes up.  Two 10-14hr sessions should get everything warmed up and moving around nicely I'd think.  Typically I let DACs burn-in 24/7 for about 500hrs but being that this one uses a tube buffer I'm a bit more hesitant to leave it on continuously.  Especially being that it's relatively new and I'm not fully comfortable leaving it unattended.  I've got a strange feeling about tube gear; the fear that as soon a I walk out of the room it's going to blow up and burn my house down.  Is that weird?  LOL!

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #44 of 174
Hey folks, just wanted to give a quick update. Got a new laptop and had the worst time trying to get the drivers installed.  The drivers MHDT uses aren't digitally signed and Windows will NOT let you use them.  Instead, head over to Schiit's website and download their unified USB drivers.  They use the same USB receiver and the software works great and installs the first time.  

Also, the DAC still sounds amazing.

Nov 28, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #45 of 174
I'm appalled at the prices of MHDT stuff these days. For that price it better sound good! For a little more, you could get an Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1. I know from experience the Audio Note will lay waste to some dacs costing as much as 5 figures. In any case enjoy your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back