MHDT Lab Pagoda: A review ...
Oct 8, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #31 of 42
I prefer the Orchid to both the Pagoda and the Metrum Amethyst. I didn't have the Pagoda to compare directly to the Orchid, but I have a pretty good audio memory and was able to compare a modded Atlantis to both directly.

The Amethyst is great, but the Orchid is a slightly more beautiful listen.

The Gumby has a bit more bottom end slam, and is a little less smooth up top than the Orchid.

The Pagoda would be closer to the Gungnir Multibit flavor than the Orchid.

I recently added the Orchid to my MHDT round-up: http://www.basshead.club/mhdt-labs-pagoda-stockholm-atlantis-and-canary/

Versus the Gungnir Multibit, it's in the same league but has a NOS presentation. Depending on your tastes, you could prefer the Orchid, Pagoda, or Amethyst.

Note, however, that with any of those 3, you're limited a bit by the USB implementation. The USB Gen 5 on Gumby is much better than the USB on any other DAC I've had in my possession. I'd highly recommend you pick up a Schiit Eitr if you don't have a good USB->S/PDIF converter or something similar so you can reach the full potential of the DACs.

Thanks. That's all very useful information, particularly on your site.

Looks like it's either going to be the Orchid or Pagoda. There seems to be very little information out there about the Orchid, as it is quite new.

I like how the 2Qute has an excellent sense of rhythm, but it's a bit on the thin side. I like how resolving the Gumby is and its tight bass. Both are a tad too hot up top for me at times.

The GMB seems to have too much of a separated soundstage, which would be okay if it didn't throw everything it picks up at you at an equal volume. It takes away some cohesiveness and doesn't let the music just naturally flow, making me analyse everything more than I would like. I can never really fully relax when listening to it.

Based on the above, would you say that the Pagoda or Orchid would be more to my liking?

I've been looking to buy an Eitr for a while now, but it still isn't available in the UK since I first looked a month or two ago. I'm actually using the USB Gen 2 straight into my laptop as the Gen 5 upgrade isn't available either.

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #34 of 42
@s1rrah .. thanks for the comprehensive and wonderful review. MHDT Lab has been on my radar for quite some time but I never took a chance on any of their DACs until recently. After reading your review I suspected the Pagoda would be just the right fit for me and placed an order. I'm so happy I did .. the sound quality is superb.

The Pagoda is not being used in my headphone system but in my loudspeaker system:

Mac mini • Schiit Eitr • Pagoda • Decware SE84UFO • Omega Super 3i

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #35 of 42
@s1rrah .. thanks for the comprehensive and wonderful review. MHDT Lab has been on my radar for quite some time but I never took a chance on any of their DACs until recently. After reading your review I suspected the Pagoda would be just the right fit for me and placed an order. I'm so happy I did .. the sound quality is superb.

The Pagoda is not being used in my headphone system but in my loudspeaker system:

Mac mini • Schiit Eitr • Pagoda • Decware SE84UFO • Omega Super 3i

Thanks; glad you found the review helpful. Value wise? I've found nothing that performs at the level of the MHDT DACs ...

Dec 11, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #37 of 42
Thanks; glad you found the review helpful. Value wise? I've found nothing that performs at the level of the MHDT DACs ...

Thanks again for a great review. I bought my Havana from you many years ago and still love it. Looking to have it move over to my laptop/Stax 404/ Stax SRM-T1 set up and replace it as front end in Harbeth M30.1 system. Confused by all the Mhdt options but doing my due diligence with your help

Jan 24, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #38 of 42
@Luckbad

I saw your review about MHDT Pagoda and Orchid as well as Spring. In the review of Spring you compared it against Ygyy. In you rewiew of MHDT Pagoda and Orchid, I don't see you mention much about Yggy. Could please make a brief comparison between Yggy and Pagoda/Orchid?

Thank you!

huy.

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #41 of 42
Very pleased so far with the Pagoda I purchased from LTA. It is a very big transition from the mytek Brooklyn. I'm learning not to miss the high end microdetails I could hear before while I enjoy the music more.

Oct 31, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #42 of 42
Thanks. That's all very useful information, particularly on your site.

Looks like it's either going to be the Orchid or Pagoda. There seems to be very little information out there about the Orchid, as it is quite new.

I like how the 2Qute has an excellent sense of rhythm, but it's a bit on the thin side. I like how resolving the Gumby is and its tight bass. Both are a tad too hot up top for me at times.

The GMB seems to have too much of a separated soundstage, which would be okay if it didn't throw everything it picks up at you at an equal volume. It takes away some cohesiveness and doesn't let the music just naturally flow, making me analyse everything more than I would like. I can never really fully relax when listening to it.

Based on the above, would you say that the Pagoda or Orchid would be more to my liking?

I've been looking to buy an Eitr for a while now, but it still isn't available in the UK since I first looked a month or two ago. I'm actually using the USB Gen 2 straight into my laptop as the Gen 5 upgrade isn't available either.
Thought soundstage was like smarts or money. You can't have too much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back