MHDT Lab Pagoda: A review ...
Mar 31, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #16 of 42
  Hi there, 
I would like to ask for your help. 
Im looking at two DACs. The Pagoda and the Chord Qute EX.
Could you help me decide between the two?
Thanks
Dan

You're in an MHDT thread, so you can guess our preferences.

The MHDT dacs are going to be more musical and engaging. The Chord is going to be more neutral and it has more options like DSD.

I heard the Chord and felt that it was a competent DAC but you're paying a lot of extra money for the cool design and name.

The Pagoda is a better DAC to my ears (more organic, more musical, more engaging) and is considerably less expensive. You also get the benefit of a tube buffer to further tune the sound to your liking.

May 6, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #17 of 42
Now I have an itch to get an MHDT Labs DAC.

I have the Schiit Bifrost 4490. Do you think I would hear much of a difference going to either the Stockholm 2 or Pagoda?

I'm struggling based on what I've read here which would be better for me.

Mostly I listen to EDM, not much that was recorded while performed live. If I did, the Pagoda sounds like the answer. But for EDM, rock, etc which would probably suit me best? 

This has been a very fun read and the itch is getting strong for one of these.

May 7, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #18 of 42
  Now I have an itch to get an MHDT Labs DAC.

I have the Schiit Bifrost 4490. Do you think I would hear much of a difference going to either the Stockholm 2 or Pagoda?

I'm struggling based on what I've read here which would be better for me.

Mostly I listen to EDM, not much that was recorded while performed live. If I did, the Pagoda sounds like the answer. But for EDM, rock, etc which would probably suit me best? 

This has been a very fun read and the itch is getting strong for one of these.

As a fan of EDM? I think the Pagoda would be the best bet for that sort of music ... slightly tighter bass ... 

Best of luck!

joel

May 7, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #19 of 42
Thanks Joel. I was thinking the answer would be the Stockholm V2, but ok, good.

Do you think there will be much difference between the Pagoda and the Schiit Bifrost 4490?

Is the Pagoda a good match for what I listen to, or is it really more for classical or music recorded live etc?

Think it will pair well with my Ember 2, amp?

Thanks,

Ken

May 7, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #20 of 42
  Thanks Joel. I was thinking the answer would be the Stockholm V2, but ok, good.

Do you think there will be much difference between the Pagoda and the Schiit Bifrost 4490?

Is the Pagoda a good match for what I listen to, or is it really more for classical or music recorded live etc?

Think it will pair well with my Ember 2, amp?

Thanks,

Ken

I cannot answer that question. Hopefully, others will chime in ...

May 8, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #22 of 42
  Ember is a very nice sounding amp.  Sorry, just saying  :)

I've looked at those "garage" amps for a long time.  Never heard one but they remain intriguing.  Anyone have one they can let me borrow for a week?

:wink:

May 8, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #23 of 42
I've looked at those "garage" amps for a long time.  Never heard one but they remain intriguing.  Anyone have one they can let me borrow for a week?

:wink:

It is a great amp. A very big step up from my Schiit Asgard 2.

I'm in Central America. If you are in the neighborhood, feel free to stop by and check it out. :)

May 8, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #24 of 42
It is a great amp. A very big step up from my Schiit Asgard 2.

I'm in Central America. If you are in the neighborhood, feel free to stop by and check it out. :)

Where at?

I've traveled that way extensively over the past 25 years.  All surfing related travel ... 7 trips to Costa Rica with some voyages to Nicaragua as well ...

May 8, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #25 of 42

Where at?

I've traveled that way extensively over the past 25 years.  All surfing related travel ... 7 trips to Costa Rica with some voyages to Nicaragua as well ...

Nicaragua. Closer to Managua than the beach you went to. But not far from the airport if you are heading in the direction of Costa Rica. :)

Next time you head this way, give me a hollar. If you have a MHDT DAC, bring it a long. You can try out my Ember 2 with 6N6P tube, then we'll connect your DAC and see if there is a difference. I've got LCD-X headphones so if there is a difference, we should be able to hear it. 

Ken

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #26 of 42
I once had a Hifiman HM801 with K grade dual 1704. Voices were alive.
One day, it stopped charging and Hifiman replaced it with a newer HM801 with no marking grade 1704 and the magic was gone.
Not sure how the K grade differs technically but it sure did sonically.

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #27 of 42
I once had a Hifiman HM801 with K grade dual 1704. Voices were alive.
One day, it stopped charging and Hifiman replaced it with a newer HM801 with no marking grade 1704 and the magic was gone.
Not sure how the K grade differs technically but it sure did sonically.

Thanks for that ... I've heard the very same thing from others ... including Juin, the lead designer for MHDT. In fact, he mentioned a bit back that he was considering releasing a DAC with K grade 1704's ...

I'd love to hear one.

joel

Oct 8, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #29 of 42
Fantastic review.

I currently have a Gumby and 2Qute in my possession, but am very curious to hear a good NOS dac. I think it may have a sound I would ultimately prefer.

Have you had the chance to compare the Pagoda to the Orchid? Or the difference I might expect coming from a Gumby or 2Qute?

I've narrowed it down to those two and the Metrum Amethyst.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #30 of 42
Fantastic review.

I currently have a Gumby and 2Qute in my possession, but am very curious to hear a good NOS dac. I think it may have a sound I would ultimately prefer.

Have you had the chance to compare the Pagoda to the Orchid? Or the difference I might expect coming from a Gumby or 2Qute?

I've narrowed it down to those two and the Metrum Amethyst.

I prefer the Orchid to both the Pagoda and the Metrum Amethyst. I didn't have the Pagoda to compare directly to the Orchid, but I have a pretty good audio memory and was able to compare a modded Atlantis to both directly.

The Amethyst is great, but the Orchid is a slightly more beautiful listen.

The Gumby has a bit more bottom end slam, and is a little less smooth up top than the Orchid.

The Pagoda would be closer to the Gungnir Multibit flavor than the Orchid.

I recently added the Orchid to my MHDT round-up: http://www.basshead.club/mhdt-labs-pagoda-stockholm-atlantis-and-canary/

Versus the Gungnir Multibit, it's in the same league but has a NOS presentation. Depending on your tastes, you could prefer the Orchid, Pagoda, or Amethyst.

Note, however, that with any of those 3, you're limited a bit by the USB implementation. The USB Gen 5 on Gumby is much better than the USB on any other DAC I've had in my possession. I'd highly recommend you pick up a Schiit Eitr if you don't have a good USB->S/PDIF converter or something similar so you can reach the full potential of the DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back