MG Head Tube Quest
Apr 8, 2003 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dd3mon

Headphoneus Supremus
I have two tubes that are currently my favorite - I know many people have tried these and I'm hoping perhaps someone can relate to my situation and suggest the perfect tube
smily_headphones1.gif

My two favorites are a GE Black Plate Triple Mica 5751 and a Sylvania JHS Black Plate Triple Mica 5751 (using JJ EL84's for power tubes). The Sylvania is incredibly detailed and focused with amazing vocals, but with some music (rock) it's pretty boring. The GE is very impactful and lively and fairly detailed and focused. I'm looking for a tube that will do both - a quick, lively tube with toe tapping bass (GE black plate) that can resolve detail and especially vocals like the Sylvania. Anyone know if a tube like this exists?

-dd3mon

Apr 9, 2003 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 17
I haven't heard the Sylvanias yet but my current favorite tube is the Raytheon black plate 5751 with the windmill getter. It's been a while since I've tube rolled so I'm not sure offhand if it's more or less detailed than the GE but I think you'll like it.

Apr 10, 2003 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 17
I've tried a few 12AX7's and a couple of 5751s. My favorites were the Tung Sol and Raytheon 5751s. Although some disagree I also liked the Telefunken ECC83 12AX7.

Apr 10, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 17
I may be acquiring a Raytheon 5751 in the next day or so - working with a guy for a good price. I'd love to try one of these..

Also, take a look at these tubes I just won off eBay.

These are two mystery tubes (labels worn off) - however I'm nearly positive the one on the left is a Sylvania 5751 Gold Brand / Gold Pin! From all the pictures I've compared to, I can't tell a bit of difference, the defining features are the gold pins and widely notced micas! It's definitely a 5751 (seller said so) - the other is a 7025, also possibly a good find! (I see a spec of red paint on the 7025 - a Raytheon perhaps?)

If any experts wanna take a crack and tell me what these two tubes are, please be my guest
biggrin.gif

-dd3mon

Apr 10, 2003 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 17
nobody has any idea on what tubes these are?

Apr 10, 2003 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
nobody has any idea on what tubes these are?

The style of the numbers on the glass of the 7025 looks like a style used a lot by GE. I'd have to take a look through my tubes and see if RCA also used that numbering style on a 7025.

Apr 10, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 17
I'm very familiar with this page (and Joe's tube lore) - not sure how it's relavent in determining what these tubes are exactly..

Thanks hirsch, looks like the opinions on a GE 7025 are fairly positive, I'll definitely give it a shot.

-dd3mon

Apr 10, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 17
I thought the Raytheon tube mentioned in the artcle was good blend of both.

I use it in my MAD Ear+ and have great results. I listen to lots of progressive/ avantguard rock...so i need the blend.

Apr 10, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Kevin P
I haven't heard the Sylvanias yet but my current favorite tube is the Raytheon black plate 5751 with the windmill getter. It's been a while since I've tube rolled so I'm not sure offhand if it's more or less detailed than the GE but I think you'll like it.

I have this tube also and it does sound great with my mg head>senn 580's.

Apr 11, 2003 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 17
dd3mon,

I have 3 Sylvania Gold Brand 5751 (grey plates, gold pins, 3 Mica, Round getter) and they look a lot like your tube in the left of the picture. I also have Raytheon black plates 3 mica and Sylvania Black Plates, 3 Mica and I believe your tube is most probbaly the Sylvania Gold Brand 5751.
The 7025 is supposedly quite good too !
Have you compared the two on MD Head and if so which is better.

Apr 11, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 17
I will compare as soon as they arrive
biggrin.gif

I have a whole boatload of tubes I can compare to.. - no surprises unfortunately - my preferences have fallen in line with most others on this board.. Sylvania JHS 5751 black plate/triple mica is my favorite, GE 5751 black plate coming in second.. Most of the other tubes I've found are just "ok"

-dd3mon

Apr 13, 2003 at 4:00 AM Post #13 of 17
Wow good news on the new tubes (mostly). I popped in the 7025 first, sounds good. Great bass, reminds me a lot of the GE black plate - perhaps sacraficing a little detail like the GE as well. I'll have to come back to this sometime soon, but for now I'm sticking with my Sylvanias.

The other mystery tube I'm pretty sure is a Sylvania Gold Brand / Pin - it sounds very close to my Sylvania JHS Black Plate. It has a hum that goes away after it warms up (I have a Sylvania Gold Brand Black plate that has a much louder hum that doesn't go away, ever
frown.gif
). At this point I think I like it a bit better than the JHS black plate - but it's almost too close to call.. Midrange may be a touch nicer on the Gold Pin. Both are very detailed.

Overall a pretty good purchase from eBay.

-dd3mon

Apr 13, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #14 of 17
dd3mon,

Congratulations on your purchase. As for the hum on your Sylvania Black plates, I have heard that the black plates have short life. So far, my batch is OK but others have had bad luck. Could you please post a picture of your Sylvania JHS5751. I have Sylvania 3 mica black plate but I am ot sure if it is JHS. It has Yellow lettering but no JHS symbols.

Regards

Apr 13, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #15 of 17
I'll try to obtain a digital camera, but earliest that could happen would be Monday.. I'd like to take some pictures of all my favorite tubes, but I have no digital camera of my own
frown.gif
My JHS has yellow paint reading:

JHS 5751WA
Made In USA
SYLVANIA

There are also etchings (the paint is partially on top of these) that read:

WA
5646A
312E
(triangle)
USA

The paint is difficult to read (rubbing off) but the etching is easily read if you tip the tube so light can reflect off it.

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back