MG Head OTL32 as preamp question:
Oct 29, 2003 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kentamcolin

1000+ Head-Fier
Might be a silly question; As the MG Head OTL32 is designed for use as a preamp, can I connect my EAR834P phono stage to one of the inputs? I see that they are marked "CD, SACD, DVD, MD". I don't know how this relates to how these inputs can be used.

Oct 29, 2003 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 15
There's no difference between any of the inputs, nor their respective selections on the selector switch. They are all line-level inputs. Just pick one.

Oct 29, 2003 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 15
Put it in SACD: it stands for Superior Audio than CD
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2003 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 15
AFAIK, it uses only 12au7 and it's direct variants.

Oct 29, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin
I see that they are marked "CD, SACD, DVD, MD". I don't know how this relates to how these inputs can be used.

All the inputs are the same. If you connect more than one sources to the amp, you'll know which one is which.

Oct 29, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 15
Seems an odd set of labels. Would anyone really connect a CDP, DVDP, SACDP, and MDP? That's a lot of digital! How about CD, TUN, AUX 1, AUX 2? Or better yet, PH1, PH2, PH3, OTHER
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2003 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 15
Any opinions on the otl32 w/ the k1000's? I have heard (from mcgino) that it sounds great, but many are skeptical that the .3watts of output is sufficient juice for the k1000's (which supposedly require around 2).

Also any opinions on the unit as a preamp? There are a variety of ways to integrate it into ones system as a preamplifier, but is it worth the bother?

Thoughts? Opinions? It doesn't seem like this amplifier has gotten much attention on the boards thus far, so I don't think I am repeating stuff already covered in other threads.

Thanks!

Oct 30, 2003 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 15
I haven't tried it with the K1000s, but have read that the amp will give just enough juice to power the K1000s.

I hooked it up as a preamp to my friend's power amp and through a pair of Paradigm speakers, they sounded pretty good. He said it sounded cleaner, with better details than with just the power amp.

Oct 30, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 15
My experience with the OTL32 was that it powered the K1000's very "nicely" - good quality at moderate volumes. Even better with some RCA cleartops rolled in. Ultimately I found it lacking a bit of slam that I would have preferred. But this is really a shortcoming of the K1000's & their inherent design, more so than the OTL32. I did prefer the OTL32/K1000 combo with its direct XLR connection, to the nOrh integrateds (se9 & se18) with speaker connections.

Perhaps trying a higher-gain tube, such as the 12ax7's would help things out even more. But I would be cautious. It is also unnecessary with any other cans than the K1000's, IMO.

As a passive preamp, I would say that the OTL32 would be "ok". Based on memory of limited use as such, I question how quiet it would be. Might be a little "noisey'. For such an application, I would much prefer the nOrh se18, or some other better active preamp.

Oct 31, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #15 of 15
It is active pre-amps if you use it as a Pre-amps but V.R is locate at input only.

May be can say it only a Volumn control and follow by a driver tube when use as Headphone amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back