MG Head Killer!!!!
Sep 11, 2001 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

templeboy

100+ Head-Fier
Another headphone amp from China:

http://www.operaudio.com.cn/company/...e/Cyber-20.htm

At about $300, the Cyber20, only $20 more with much better facial and specifications and separate power supply, should represent an excellent value. A potentional MG Head Killer!

The specification of Cyber-20:

Output Power :1W x 2
Frequency responsible at 1 W: 12Hz -45KHz
Distortion at 1W: < 0.4%
S/N Ratio with A weighting :95db
Input impedance :50K
Output Impedance: HIGH - LOW (10 Ohm - 600 Ohm)
Power request: 20W
Output Terminal: 6.5mm Mic Jack x 2
Tube: EL84 x 2,12Au7 x 1

If there are enough Headwizer/fiers interested in it, I may be able to contact Opera to obtain a better price for our group. Leave your words here if you want to try it out!

Sep 11, 2001 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 24
OMG! nice find!!

more spec translations in case you don't understand Chinese
smily_headphones1.gif
:

2 EL34 running in triode mode in a SET setting
outboard power supply
internal output transformer

ok. where those those relatives in China when i need them...

Sep 11, 2001 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 24
Oooh, a SET amp? Droooollllllll...
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2001 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
$300?!?!?!?
OMG! and I see they can drive Grados.
very_evil_smiley.gif

And in fact I think this might perhaps be better suited to Grados. Now, I don't have much experience with EL84s as I just haven't seen them used for audiophile applications at all really. But I have seen them in guitar amps, some of which have pentode/triode switches that allow the user to toggle between each bias. And in this application, to my ears, the triode mode sounded darker and generally less desirable... Certainly something I wouldn't want for my Senns. Yet, possibly something I would want for RS-1s if I owned a set. But, of course, how this experience translates into an audio application is really unknown to me. And furthermore, my mode of choice may not be yours. However, if you think this is a cheap way to get 2A3 or 300B-like sound, think again. Anyhow, I thought I'd offer this up as an FYI and am nevertheless interested to find out more about this cool looking little amp. Moving the power supply out of the way has GOT to have some effect on the sound. The wiring inside an MG Head is an absolute abomination in that area!!

Brian.

Sep 11, 2001 at 7:05 AM Post #8 of 24
templeboy,

Count me in, if you can get a price on this...that amp has got me seriously intrigued.

Sep 14, 2001 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 24
I've got enough money for a head amp, and right now it's between this Opera 20 and the mystery amp from this thread . Anyone actually heard the Opera 20? Aw, heck, I'll do it if I can use my Amex blue card 'cause then I'm covered for 60 days if i don't like it
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2001 at 12:07 PM Post #15 of 24
Don't believe anyone lucky enough in the US to hear it yet as it officially comes out in less than a month, although the manufacturer showcased it around for quite a while in China.

Go http://headwize.com/ubb/showpage5.ph...ays=30&stime=0 and check out some funny posts.
biggrin.gif

As for another Chinese headphone amp, I THINK I know what it is. But I need to search out manufacturer's website first before making post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back