MFSL
Sep 21, 2008 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

fatcat28037

Headphoneus Supremus
Kudos to MFSL for their re-mastering of Linda Ronstadt's Prisoner in Disguise. Recording engineer Shawn Britton has done an outstanding job on a great collection of songs.

What MFSL discs have you heard you believe are true masterpieces?

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 27
I've been seeking after the MFSL release of Meddle (UDCD 518) but no luck by now. I've heard it and it is simply stunning! MFSL sure knows how to squeeze everything out of the redbook.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been seeking after the MFSL release of Meddle (UDCD 518) but no luck by now. I've heard it and it is simply stunning! MFSL sure knows how to squeeze everything out of the redbook.
smily_headphones1.gif

On EBay for $370.49....................WOW!

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 27
Wow. Saw one for $250 and I though it was expensive!
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess it is pretty wanted.

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

These can be had on the Bay for around $60 used. I had this one for awhile, Made in Japan. Very nice recording, still preferred the vinyl to it though.
Here is a recently finished auction for one such UDCD 518

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kudos to MFSL for their re-mastering of Linda Ronstadt's Prisoner in Disguise. Recording engineer Shawn Britton has done an outstanding job on a great collection of songs.

You just cost me, my wallet hates you
wink.gif

I can't say that I was ever disappointed in any MFSL releases I acquired. I focus on the SACDs though.

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On EBay for $370.49....................WOW!

Amazing. I bought a vinyl first pressing on Harvest in near-mint condition that sounded great for a whopping $12.

Don't get me wrong, as I have a few dozen MFSL CDs and Hybrid SACDs, and the most I ever spent on any of them was $40. But I can't for the life of me figure out what would motivate someone to blow hundreds on one of these things.

--Jerome

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #9 of 27
The MFSL gold disc of B.B. King's Live at the Regal is reveletory. Very hard to believe that this is a live recording from 1964.

Santana's Abraxas is also very good.

I've got some ancient vinyl of theirs lying around also, but God knows where, as my LPs are currently not alphabetized.

Sep 22, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just cost me, my wallet hates you
wink.gif

I can't say that I was ever disappointed in any MFSL releases I acquired. I focus on the SACDs though.

You're going to love it. I hope you bought it on Amazon, $26 with free shipping, $10 cheaper that direct from the MoFi website.

Sep 22, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't get me wrong, as I have a few dozen MFSL CDs and Hybrid SACDs, and the most I ever spent on any of them was $40. But I can't for the life of me figure out what would motivate someone to blow hundreds on one of these things.

If anything, the MFSL remasters make the CD sound good!
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

If anything, the MFSL remasters make the CD sound good!
biggrin.gif

Not always! Head over to the Hoffman forums for a list of destroyed cds remastered by MFSL. The sound can be harsh and horrible! MFSL <> a sure thing! That said, some of my best sounding discs are MFSL releases.

The MFSL pressing of U2's Unforgettable Fire (LP) is outrageously good. Their jazz releases are usually exceptional too. But it is the rock stuff that garners the crazy prices on Ebay. I was able to procure 2 copies of each U2 release for about $100/each a couple of years ago. I kept one set and gave a set away to a friend. The prices now are double to triple that for sealed copies!

Sep 23, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #13 of 27
Some of my fav Mofi discs

Patricia Barber - Modern Cool (SACD)(Outstanding dynamics)
Pixies - Doolittle (SACD) (Crisp and Clear sound for a rock album)
Yes - Fragile (Whoa! What a world of improvement over the regular release cd)
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Blood, Sweat & Tears 3 (SACD) (Just for the horn section tearing up the speakers, not so great on headphones)
B.B.King - Live At the Regal (As mentioned before, very good live sound)

I have to go back to my collection to name a few more, these are the ones from the top of my head.

Sep 23, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danika k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think that you pay for the remastering more than anything

Of course! AT least initially. Then, when these very low print runs go out of print and hit Ebay, they are jacked up beyond belief! The low numbers and the fact that generally they are the best sounding versions of a given album mean music lovers and collectors alike rush for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back