MFSL Gold CD's
Jul 12, 2005 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Julz

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys 'n' gals.

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with these CD's ? I've seen a few on eBay that got my attention (mainly 70's rock) but then so did the price tags. Are they worth the extra coin ?

J

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 32
if I'm not mistaken there is a bit more to it than just putting them on 24k gold disc. Most if not all have been remastered and the one's I have are mastered at a lower volume and have less clipping. The DCC gold discs are great as well, I don't know if they are worth 5 to 10xs the price but that's a subjective call.

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 32
The MFSL disks are also remastered using their proprietary equipment and techniques (GAIN) and therefore have better sound quality than the "regular" versions. Some of their releases are out of print (OOP), making them desirable and expensive collector's items (e.g. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and U2's Joshua Tree).

I am really tempted to buy MFSL's release of the Joshua Tree. It is the only remastered release available and is said to offer superior sonics over the rather "bland" recording of the original release. I've seen it on eBay for over $200.

More info...
http://www.mofi.com/history.htm

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #7 of 32
I just received the mfsl of dark side of the moon, but im currently out of town so i havent had a chance to listen to it yet.

Wow, 200 for the joshua tree? i saw a deal for 80 and was like "man, who would pay that?" Oh well, i guess we'll see how the pink floyd is, i got it for 25, is that a good deal?

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 32
I have the MFSL Dark Side of the Moon and it's wonderful. The gold disc is mostly a gimmick, the real deal is the terrific mastering...

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #9 of 32
Thanks for the input guys...

J

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Oh well, i guess we'll see how the pink floyd is, i got it for 25, is that a good deal?

Yeah, that's a pretty good price. It's likely not in mint condition though. I've seen a MFSL copy of DSotM, still in the wrapper, sell for around $300 on eBay a while back.

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 32
Are the MFSL SACDs an improvement? They seem to be much cheaper than the CDs you guys are lusting after
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #12 of 32
Be careful when purchasing MFSL discs; not all of them are the best version available, and some are worse than the original release. Check out this thread (and the Steve Hoffman forums in general) before buying: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29768. DCC discs, on the other hand, are almost invariably great. Hoffman mastered all (I think) of the DCC discs and he is regarded by many to be the greatest mastering engineer of all time.

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peugeot306
... The manufacturer closed down its business a long time ago that is why their prices go up because they are considered collectibles now.

Someone has already noted that MFSL is in business... back in business is more correct. They were MIA for a couple of years; dunno the backstory on it.

Their approach to biz is that they're creating collectibles; each disc is a limited edition never to be produced again once the run is finished. Though they're coy about not saying just how long that will be.

I have several of the old Gold Discs that I bought new when they were in production and have never been disappointed. When comparing the MFSL remasters with originals, I invariably heard an improvement - sometimes modest, sometimes dramatic. But I've seen various opinions of different discs over the years so, as always, YMMV.

I don't have originals with which to compare, but I have the current MFSL releases (SACD) of the two Los Lobos albums and Bela Fleck's Drive and I'm very happy with them. I sampled the CD layers and they're just fine - same remastering as SACD stereo.

I also have the Chieftain's Long Black Veil CD and it is a significant improvement on an album that already sounded damn good! It's very much analogous to the recent remastering of Paul Simon's Graceland - good sound made notably better. Though the MFSL disc costs $30 and Graceland can be had for $12 or less...

Best,
Beau

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 32
MFSL cds are 24k gold plated cds that are remastered from the original master tapes. They are mastered at half speed and at 20 bits-96khz. They do sound better than their normal commercial counterparts and the difference is very noticeable. Some MFSL gold cds were mastered better than others but for the most part they all sounded better than the commercial counterparts. Very detailed and lifelike, as if you were in the recording studio sitting in front of the recording artist.

MFSL used 24k gold in their cds instead of aluminum not because it was a gimmick, but because at the time of their introduction it was thought that aluminum over time would oxidize and become unreadable (cd rot). Gold ensures that the cd will have over 100 years of shelf life because gold won't oxidize. With today's better commercial manufacturing process of cds and higher quality standards cd rot rarely occurs but can happen. MFLS is still in business as they do manufacture and sell their 24k gold cd-r but many of their remastered cds have long been discontinued and are highly sought after by audiophile and cd collectors alike. Some of MFSL's remastered cds such as:

Various Artist - "Jazz Sampler" (MFSL's first gold cd & extremely rare) UDCD 501 JS-1

A Very Special Christmas UDCD 508

Saturday Night Fever soundtrack UDCD 716

are all are hard to find and command $150+ in used but mint condition and $200+ in sealed/brand new condition. I have quite a few MFSL cds and they are the best I've heard next to Mastersound 24k remastered cds (CBS/Sony Music entertainment) and 24k gold remastered cds pressed in Japan.

Incidentally MFSL also pressed audiophile vinyl LPs and cassette tapes of certain artists in limited quantities. MFSL discography:

http://www.bsnpubs.com/mofi.html

Jul 12, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #15 of 32
MoFi is also licensing Sony titles for release on SACD....

Earth, Wind & Fire's "That's The Way of the World"

The Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man"

Too bad this will cost more than Sony's own hybrid SACDs.

As for DCC, one of the most sought after title is Elvis' "24 Karat Hits". Yes, it's a 24K gold disc and it's probably the best sounding Elvis title out there. Some of these are numbered (mine is #5983). Another one to look for is Van Halen's debut album....blows the remastered CD from Warner into the weeds.

As for mastering engineers, Vic Anesini is also one of the best. He works for SonyBMG and you should definitely check out his work. His name of a CD/SACD, like Steve Hoffman's, is an assurance of quality.

BTW, anyone into collecting gold CDs should check out the below site....

http://www.aurealm.com/peach.htm

Of course, not all gold CDs are listed on that site. Telarc is currently offering some on their site....

http://www.telarc.com/Crossover/prom...JT8FFF0SNWB7L5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back