MFSL Dark Side of the Moon CD
Jul 30, 2007 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

fc911c

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I just received one and it seems to be recorded at a much lower volume than all my other cd's. I really have to turn it up, is this normal for this CD?

thanks
Frank

Jul 30, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 74
That's a good thing. You get more dynamic sound from that press. =]

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 74
Hi could you explain further?

I have to remeber to turn it down before other music follows. Last night I had fallen a sleep while Pink Floyd was on and was abruptly woken on next track, it scared the hell out of me, my poor heart LOL.

Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a good thing. You get more dynamic sound from that press. =]

Jul 30, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by fc911c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi could you explain further?

I have to remeber to turn it down before other music follows. Last night I had fallen a sleep while Pink Floyd was on and was abruptly woken on next track, it scared the hell out of me, my poor heart LOL.

Frank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

Jul 30, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 74
I started writing an explanation about compression, then decided to refresh this page to see if anyone responded. =]

Jul 30, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 74
Agreed - it's a good thing. Listen to Nora Jones for a better sleep....

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 74
it's called Dynamic Range, and DSOTM has lots of it. the album weaves and meanders through lots of volume changes and that's the way it's supposed to sound. it adds to the overall feel and atmosphere of the album... that post about an abrupt sound that nearly gave you a heart attack (i'm guessing it's the alarm clocks in front of "Time") means it was mastered correctly.

CDs that are issued today are mastered loud with lots of compression and without much dynamic range, that's why you're used to albums that are relatively on the same volume... not a good thing.

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by pesciolino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sacd is really really good

2-channel SACD vs 2-channel MFSL DSoTM, MFSL copy wins still IMO. They are different sounds, but the MFSL copy is more balanced and lush sounding.

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by fc911c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last night I had fallen a sleep while Pink Floyd was on and was abruptly woken on next track, it scared the hell out of me, my poor heart LOL.

That's a good thing
tongue.gif

Imagine the music as a rollercoaster. A rollercoaster that is flat, or only has shallow drops and dips is boring. But a rollercoaster that has huge hills and drops is much more exciting; same with music.

The lower volume means that there is more headroom for the music to rise and fall.

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #13 of 74
Very good all I like hearing all sides.

Frank

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imagine the music as a rollercoaster. A rollercoaster that is flat, or only has shallow drops and dips is boring. But a rollercoaster that has huge hills and drops is much more exciting; same with music.

That's a great analogy, but i'd add that a loud song (ie of today) is like a rollercoaster that is as tall as a skyscraper ... initially exhilarating, but you soon get vertigo
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back