Originally Posted by pesciolino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the mfsl meddle is indeed very good

What artist are on the meddle?

Thanks
Frank

Aug 16, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #32 of 74
No artists, just pink floyd
smily_headphones1.gif

My favorite version of DSoTM so far is the quad master dvd-a that's floating around on the net.

Aug 16, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #33 of 74
Quote:

So the black-triangle's a rare CD?

It's the first pressing, first edition ever for the Japanese market (got to make sure it does not have "TO" in the matrix code or it isn't the real "Holy Grail" DSOTM). Since no one had CD players back then, they were pressed in miniscule quantities.

I found one in a CD store 6 months ago and almost fainted. Paid $15 bucks for it.
eek.gif
Expect to pay over $200 bucks for one on ebay (beware of fakes).

It does sound good, but part of the mystique IMHO is the scarcity and that so few people have a copy. I probably prefer the MoFi, but there's no dount the "Holy Grail" black triangle is outstanding, too.

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #34 of 74
I have all the PF MoFi releases and like them for their warm, dynamic sound. Back when I had a Sony SCD-1 I preferred the Mofi DSOTM over the redbook layer on the SACD. I found the SACD layer to be airier and more detailed than the MoFi.

The MoFi version of Meddle is really nice. Meddle makes it into my cdp more often than DSOTM these days.

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #36 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by pesciolino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when the bells start chiming on the sacd it really is freakishly good sounding!

^ X2

Aug 17, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #38 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how does a MoFi DSotM CD go for nowadays?

$50-75 good condition. $150-200 sealed. (according to copies that actually sold on Ebay)

Aug 18, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #40 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the 30 year anniversary hybrid SACD sound? I want to purchase either the hybrid sacd or remaster:

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon...7403953&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon...7403953&sr=8-2

Is that the original CD release, or is that a modern remaster? Do you have a SACD player?

If you don't have a SACD player, and that is the original CD release, go for the CD version. The CD side on the Hybrid SACD isn't too great, it definitely falls short of my '94 CD copy.

If you have a SACD player, the SACD version is far worth it. The midrange is breathtaking front from to back on the SACD. In fact, most SACD's have a thick stunning midrange.

Aug 22, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #41 of 74
There seems to be quite a few on ebay, but some are "gold CDs" and other's are not. What's the difference and how can you tell if you are getting a fake?

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #42 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There seems to be quite a few on ebay, but some are "gold CDs" and other's are not. What's the difference and how can you tell if you are getting a fake?

All MOFI Dark Side of the moon CDs (UD I & UD II) were gold discs. Some sellers may assume you already know this and not mention it in the description. The majority of fake MOFI discs on ebay are the Beatles (MOFI issued the Beatles on vinyl, not on CD). I've never come across a fake MOFI Dark Side of the moon.

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #43 of 74
totally dumb question.

Is an Ultradisk is still a normal CD that can be played by a CD player right? it's not like a SACD or something??

confused.gif

..one day I will get my brain fixed.

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #44 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
totally dumb question.

Is an Ultradisk is still a normal CD that can be played by a CD player right? it's not like a SACD or something??

confused.gif

..one day I will get my brain fixed.

Ultradisc is merely a marketing term used by MOFI for their CD releases.

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #45 of 74
I've got the MFSL, US Capitol silver-face and 2011 remaster for the CD's.  I like the MFSL the best.  The 2011 remaster CD I have came in the 2011 Immersion Box Set - which has a BD that contains the same mastering found on the SACD.  My impression was that on my system - IN STEREO - the MFSL still sounds better.  I even rented the SACD from my local library since my Sony BD player has SACD capability and I still felt the MFSL sounded the best.  I can't really compare it with the surround sound mix.

Best version of this album by far is the MFSL UHQR (Ultra High Quality Record) vinyl.  A guy I worked with had one that he bought new when it came out and he played it for me.  I was blown away by the quality.  Not a single bit of surface noise on it.  The best vinyl was used to make it too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back