Meze EMPYREAN II
Mar 18, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #541 of 603
I have them fully extended and it’s right on the verge of having too short rods (bottom of my ears lightly touching the pads), just as close as the Stellias. But way less clamp force and more comfy.
Yeah, the Stellias are impossible without a piece of plastic between the cup and the headband to remove some pressure from the bottom of the pads… Utopia still needs it, but at least I can wear it longer

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #542 of 603
Yeah, the Stellias are impossible without a piece of plastic between the cup and the headband to remove some pressure from the bottom of the pads… Utopia still needs it, but at least I can wear it longer
I can wear the Stellias with worn pads ok (Elear with ZMF pads is like what you describe), so I’m guessing you’re just a tad bigger than me.

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #544 of 603
After days of going back and forth between 1266 TC, Caldera and Empy 2. I have pulled the trigger on the Empyrean 2! So excited! Hopefully it’ll be a great complement to my Diana TCs.
Nice, welcome to the cool kids club :)

How did you choose the Empy 2 over the Caldera? In terms of bass, treble, and technicalities, did you notice any big differences between them?

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #545 of 603
Nice, welcome to the cool kids club :)

How did you choose the Empy 2 over the Caldera? In terms of bass, treble, and technicalities, did you notice any big differences between them?

I haven’t had a chance to hear the Empys yet. Came to my decision purely on user impressions and my own preferences. Just wanted something as a foil to my TCs and this seemed like the way to go. Price was a big consideration.

I did previously own a pair of Calderas so I’ll be able to post some comparisons at some point.

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #546 of 603
I haven’t had a chance to hear the Empys yet. Came to my decision purely on user impressions and my own preferences. Just wanted something as a foil to my TCs and this seemed like the way to go. Price was a big consideration.

I did previously own a pair of Calderas so I’ll be able to post some comparisons at some point.
I see, thanks for the insight. I’m be looking forward to the comparisons!

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #548 of 603
^ i've been waiting for this one from lachlan - thanks for posting. the empy 2/elite comparison was helpful but including his thoughts on resolution and imaging in the review would have made it more so imo. the elite (which i have heard before and enjoyed) appeals to me more based on lachlan's impressions. i've been intending to compare them myself for weeks but haven't found the time. hopefully i can get around to doing it this week.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #549 of 603
^ i've been waiting for this one from lachlan - thanks for posting. the empy 2/elite comparison was helpful but including his thoughts on resolution and imaging in the review would have made it more so imo. the elite (which i have heard before and enjoyed) appeals to me more based on lachlan's impressions. i've been intending to compare them myself for weeks but haven't found the time. hopefully i can get around to doing it this week.

It’s a good review. I had the Empy 2 for a couple of weeks to compare against my Elite. I’m surprised he didn’t try out the Duo pads on the Elite which adds bass and the fun of the original Empyrean OG.

I’d agree with his review, the Empyrean to are great headphones but for me I’m keeping my Elite.

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #550 of 603
^ i was somewhat surprised by his decision to use the alcantara ear pads rather than the hybrid ear pads with the elite as the reviews that i have seen of the elite favour the latter

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #551 of 603
^ i was somewhat surprised by his decision to use the alcantara ear pads rather than the hybrid ear pads with the elite as the reviews that i have seen of the elite favour the latter
When those Elite reviews you have seen were published, the angled Alcantara pads probably did not exist yet. The hybrid pads are indeed better than the old Alcantara pads, but the new angled Alcantara pads have changed the game and became favourites for most owners.

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #553 of 603
It’s a good review. I had the Empy 2 for a couple of weeks to compare against my Elite. I’m surprised he didn’t try out the Duo pads on the Elite which adds bass and the fun of the original Empyrean OG.
I actually asked him specifically about using the Duo pads on the Elite in the comments of the review on YouTube. He responded and said:

“I did try them and wasn't much a fan of the sound. I can't recall exactly what the differences were, but the angled Alcantara pads are very hard to beat on the Elites IMO”

Mar 24, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #554 of 603

Very good review. Week before I had the chance to try them all, Empy 1, Empy 2 and Elite and had the same impression comparing them A/B/C. Additionally I am not much treble sensitive but I also found Empy 2 a bit too agressive with their highs.
To sum up I was thinking of Empy 2 but now I score them:
Subjectively ( my sound preference): Empy 1, Elite, Empy 2.
Objectively I think Elite are the best.

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #555 of 603
i finally got to compare the empyrean 2 and empyrean elite today. for those who may be interested, the audio chain that they were both connected to initially was a bluesound streamer (i'm not sure of the model) > chord hugo tt2 > chord hugo m scaler. while this is a high-end rig that i don't envisage owning, i wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to hear it. i started with the empy 2 using a few of my usual test tracks and was struck by its clarity and treble detail. it was a major departure from the og empyrean sound that i remember and wasn't a fan of. switching to the elite, the bass was noticeably more prominent and impactful, it wasn't as clear in the midrange as the empy 2 and the treble region was somewhat attenuated in comparison. my first impression was that the empy 2 sounded more balanced across the frequency range and was the more resolving headphone.

there was a second and more budget friendly audio chain comprising the same bluesound streamer connected to the music fidelity mx-hpa. on this rig i noticed sibilance from the empy 2 and the midrange sounded thinnish. the overall presentation sounded bright and bordered on bass lite. i preferred the elite, which had a warmer and fuller presentation to my ears - much as i remembered it from the first time that i heard it a few years ago. while it didn't sound as overtly detailed as the empy 2, it was a richer and more relaxed listening experience overall - landing somewhere between the og empy and empy 2 i guess.

a few minor points: the empy 2 had the duo pads fitted and the elite had the hybrid pads. i needed to increase the volume for the empy 2 to bring it to a listening level that was similar to the elite. i think that the elite would be preferable as a complement to my og utopia. as always, my ears, my preferences and ymmv.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back