Meze EMPYREAN II
Feb 17, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #466 of 611
Why not the Elite?
The LCD-5 feels more tuned for studio use, which has a different set of priorities.
The Susvaras to sound their best need speaker-power-output amps IMO (though people on the forum will argue about this, I did use the word "best" in this sentence).
The 1266 I'll leave to people with more experience with it, but it seems that you're asking about headphones that have a high chance of not satisfying you unless you get more equipment (a better amplifier and then better DAC for that amp) in addition to get the best out of them, and then you still may not be happy.

EQ'ing especially -- it's rather like taking a step straight back after going forward. Almost any EQ is going to remove detail from the music, which negates the point of having high-end headphones in the first place.

Why not just get a Loki or Lokius and see what you can do with your headphones to begin with?
i intend to compare the elite and empyrean 2 next week but i am interested in why you think the former outperforms the latter

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #468 of 611
Why not the Elite?
The LCD-5 feels more tuned for studio use, which has a different set of priorities.
The Susvaras to sound their best need speaker-power-output amps IMO (though people on the forum will argue about this, I did use the word "best" in this sentence).
The 1266 I'll leave to people with more experience with it, but it seems that you're asking about headphones that have a high chance of not satisfying you unless you get more equipment (a better amplifier and then better DAC for that amp) in addition to get the best out of them, and then you still may not be happy.

EQ'ing especially -- it's rather like taking a step straight back after going forward. Almost any EQ is going to remove detail from the music, which negates the point of having high-end headphones in the first place.

Why not just get a Loki or Lokius and see what you can do with your headphones to begin with?
Thanks for the thoughtful reply! I thought about the Elite's briefly, but my goal is really to have a truly diverse collection ("collection" meaning going from one top-notch headphone to two or three eventually :p) and I presume that the Elite is going to be more similar to the Empy II than the others I would be looking at.

As for the DAC/amp situation, I am more than willing to upgrade in order to get the true potential out of these. My PrimaLuna Evo 400 Integrated does have an HP out, although I'm still trying to discern whether it's "up to snuff" or not relative to the other amps I've procured. I'm getting a bit ahead of my skis admittedly, but the Wandla feels like it's screaming my name :gs1000smile: - regardless I do agree with all of your points. I'm just in my honeymoon phase with all of this audiophile headphone stuff coming from a 2-channel background and everything seems to be making me drool... surely I cannot be the only one who has went through this phase haha.

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #469 of 611
Feb 17, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #470 of 611
Thanks for the thoughtful reply! I thought about the Elite's briefly, but my goal is really to have a truly diverse collection ("collection" meaning going from one top-notch headphone to two or three eventually :p) and I presume that the Elite is going to be more similar to the Empy II than the others I would be looking at.

As for the DAC/amp situation, I am more than willing to upgrade in order to get the true potential out of these. My PrimaLuna Evo 400 Integrated does have an HP out, although I'm still trying to discern whether it's "up to snuff" or not relative to the other amps I've procured. I'm getting a bit ahead of my skis admittedly, but the Wandla feels like it's screaming my name :gs1000smile: - regardless I do agree with all of your points. I'm just in my honeymoon phase with all of this audiophile headphone stuff coming from a 2-channel background and everything seems to be making me drool... surely I cannot be the only one who has went through this phase haha.
I have the PL Dialogue HP lnt Amplifier with Emp2.
Comparing to my ALO Studio Six tube amp, IA + Emp2 is not behind Studio-Six at all.
If I have IA only then I would not buy any other dedicated hp amp via tube or SS....
It's very good with a good DAC of course.....
It drives Emp2, OG Utopia, HE1000SE, LCD-5 with authority.......I wonder if it could drive Susvara with plenty of power available.....Tempting.....

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #471 of 611
im hearing alot of conflicting opinions about Empy2 with Tube amps vs Hybrids. im looking into a WA7 3rd edition but not sure yet if i should buy.. some have said it made minimal difference. I wish I would have spent more time at Canjam Dallas testing amps as much as headphones..

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #472 of 611
im hearing alot of conflicting opinions about Empy2 with Tube amps vs Hybrids. im looking into a WA7 3rd edition but not sure yet if i should buy.. some have said it made minimal difference. I wish I would have spent more time at Canjam Dallas testing amps as much as headphones..
I’ve been running my Empy IIs on both the WA7 and the Topping A/D70 stack for comparison (of course the Toppings aren’t hybrid) and the biggest difference I can tell between the two is that there’s a lot more overhead with the Topping stack and things sound a bit more articulate and less warm. I’m torn between them as I do enjoy the tube sound generally, but I span so many genres that there are instances where I find myself preferring the Toppings. YMMV of course but that’s just where I’m at currently.

What is your desired sound signature, and what is your general go-to in terms of music you prefer?

Note: I am not a seasoned audiophile, just trying to learn as much as possible, so don’t take anything I say terribly seriously 🙃

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #473 of 611
I’ve been running my Empy IIs on both the WA7 and the Topping A/D70 stack for comparison (of course the Toppings aren’t hybrid) and the biggest difference I can tell between the two is that there’s a lot more overhead with the Topping stack and things sound a bit more articulate and less warm. I’m torn between them as I do enjoy the tube sound generally, but I span so many genres that there are instances where I find myself preferring the Toppings. YMMV of course but that’s just where I’m at currently.

What is your desired sound signature, and what is your general go-to in terms of music you prefer?

Note: I am not a seasoned audiophile, just trying to learn as much as possible, so don’t take anything I say terribly seriously 🙃

I have a topping velvet stack as well and just looking for a warmer flavor at times. I listen to mostly dark ambient and experimental music - most of which isn't recorded great. Therefore seems like I should have a tube or hybrid setup in my lineup. Thanks for the info above.

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #474 of 611
I have a topping velvet stack as well and just looking for a warmer flavor at times. I listen to mostly dark ambient and experimental music - most of which isn't recorded great. Therefore seems like I should have a tube or hybrid setup in my lineup. Thanks for the info above.
Therefor have a look at the xDuoo TA-22. It is just a beauty for its costs. I used mine with Elites and Empy II now.

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #478 of 611
Feb 19, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #479 of 611
Try to do it as short as possible. I had some very good headphones in the past which I liked: DCA Expanse, Final D8000 Pro, HE1000 Stealth (ok, Hifiman was not so my taste :) ), but all of them beside of hifiman had one big issue: comfort! I use my headphones up to 8h a day and because of that comfort is the most wanted.
And guess who's the king of comfort? Right, Meze! But soundwise I liked the other more then the Elite. The Elites are great, but not so much fun like Expanse or D8KP. Empy II brings fun and clarity into Meze comfort! That's the main point. My feet are rocking during working and listening my music.
Beside of that in my opinion Empy II is better in many categories beside of fun sound. I think the stage is not larger but better particularly the layering and separation. The Elite is still more laid back, but I was searching for a fun Meze. And here we are: Empy II

Feb 19, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #480 of 611
Try to do it as short as possible. I had some very good headphones in the past which I liked: DCA Expanse, Final D8000 Pro, HE1000 Stealth (ok, Hifiman was not so my taste :) ), but all of them beside of hifiman had one big issue: comfort! I use my headphones up to 8h a day and because of that comfort is the most wanted.
And guess who's the king of comfort? Right, Meze! But soundwise I liked the other more then the Elite. The Elites are great, but not so much fun like Expanse or D8KP. Empy II brings fun and clarity into Meze comfort! That's the main point. My feet are rocking during working and listening my music.
Beside of that in my opinion Empy II is better in many categories beside of fun sound. I think the stage is not larger but better particularly the layering and separation. The Elite is still more laid back, but I was searching for a fun Meze. And here we are: Empy II
In that case, did you ever try the Liric?

Thanks for the explanation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back