Meze Audio 109 Pro
Jan 18, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #3,241 of 3,538
Depends on how much you value comfort and build quality.

Grados are NOT comfortable for many people because they're on ear, with scratchy, thin pads. One almost-unanimous area of praise for the 109 Pro is comfort, whether it's the plush pads or ideal clamping force for many.

Meze also has excellent build quality. Entry-level Grados are built like World War II radio headsets. Pretty flimsy, with a rod-block adjustment mechanism that's prone to wear and slipping over time.

To use a football analogy, Grados are like the Manchester United of headphones because of their unique sound signature, on-ear form and build. People either love them or hate them; there's little in-between.

Good luck!
But they are so damn 'musical' and non-Hifi (to these ears). Build is ... like you say ... 1940's but there is probably a reason for it, they stood the test of time and last plus, they are still made in Brooklyn by the same family. Buy a little history :)

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #3,242 of 3,538
What stops you from replacing the cable ?

I have a pair of Grado SR80x with 3,5mm sockets, soft braided balanced cable and pads from higher Grado models.

By far the most comfortable (and lightweight) headphones in my modest collection :L3000:

HD660 S2 is #2 and Meze 109 Pro #3.

Jan 18, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #3,243 of 3,538
A lot of people are blown away of this headset. I’m wandering if they worth it for starter in this hobby or I should start with entry Gredos as example?
I think the 109 Pro provides a very good starting point. It does not require extra gear to sound good. Of course it all depends on personal taste, expectations, type of favourite music, wallet, etc. You will see.

Ps: I could not stand any Grados I tried. Neither sound nor comfort.

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #3,246 of 3,538
Jan 19, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #3,248 of 3,538
Detachable cable mod (i.e. inserting 2 x 3,5mm sockets) on the Grado SR80x cost me 25$

I do this mod on all headphones with non-detachable cables (e.g. Tygr 300R). I like to use balanced cables :)

Replacing a cable is a different mod - here like I said, sky is the limit. There are forum members who are happy to pay close to full headphone price for a replacement cable. This Meze thread has many examples :)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #3,249 of 3,538
Detachable cable mod (i.e. inserting 2 x 3,5mm sockets) on the Grado SR80x cost me 25$

I do this mod on all headphones with non-detachable cables (e.g. Tygr 300R). I like to use balanced cables :)

Replacing a cable is a different mod - here like I said, sky is the limit. There are forum members who are happy to pay close to full headphone price for a replacement cable. This Meze thread has many examples :)
If not mistaken I think it was an old post of yours I read, are you the person who uses the OPENHEART 16 Core Balanced Headphone Cable ? If so do you get any microphonics from it ?

Jan 19, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #3,250 of 3,538
Nope. I do listen at my desk, though, so minimal movement.

I have two 3m OPENHEART 16 Core cables: SE for HD660 S2 and balanced for Meze 109 Pro. I also have a couple of their 8 Core cables (1,4m) for connecting iFi Hip Dac and dongles.

I think that OPENHEART make decent budget cables. At least, I do not feel the need to upgrade further.

Jan 19, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #3,251 of 3,538
Nope. I do listen at my desk, though, so minimal movement.

I have two 3m OPENHEART 16 Core cables: SE for HD660 S2 and balanced for Meze 109 Pro. I also have a couple of their 8 Core cables (1,4m) for connecting iFi Hip Dac and dongles.

I think that OPENHEART make decent budget cables. At least, I do not feel the need to upgrade further.
+1 on the OpenHeart Cables. Have them for all my gear

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #3,252 of 3,538
Thanks for the info regarding the cables, am waiting for a trader I bought a cable from to (hand made by himself and microphonic) sort out a new cable as he said he shall build another one with shorter plugs and different cable material which hopefully will eliminate the microphonics, he is waiting for the materials to arrive.
If he is not successful shall get an Openhart.

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #3,255 of 3,538
If anyone is interested in a discounted open-box official Meze silver plated upgrade cable, I just copped one from the eBay user Audio-Exchange for $55 free shipping. Original price is $129 for the 4.4mm termination.

It's a no-brainer upgrade from the stock cable especially for the price, ergonomics, and instrument separation. It doesn't have the stock cable's excessive brightness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back