Meze Audio 109 Pro
Sep 15, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #2,791 of 3,591
I can't see anyone hating these. But as I recall your amp was a bit of a problem. Violectric amps work with just about everything.
i should try connecting my k5 again and relisten. but i am afraid that i actually won't hear a different after all. the k7 is a great combo
listening to floors voice is just wow

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #2,792 of 3,591
Well, these are impressive! The mids are amazing! Right up there with Grado and Focal. The bass I would put in between. Certainly better than Grado, but not quite Focal level.

The treble sounds just fine to me with the lady vocalists, but I have not gotten into any jazz yet. I may not love the treble after Miles Davis, Freddie Hubbard, Donald Byrd, etc.

Hearing is so subjective! Reading this whole thread was a little depressing. I am shocked at the people that hated these at first listen. And I am surprised how many people owned for a month or two and then dumped them. But of course I am only one hour in.:grin:
Congrats on your purchase. If I recall these are already broken in, but if not, give them some time. My 109s get the most "head time" of all my gear at the moment.

Myself, I cannot take wailing saxes or horns with any of my gear, so no Miles Davis for me :wink:. HERE is my Tidal Jazz Playlist... you may find some tracks you like.

Be safe in the storm tomorrow!

Sep 15, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #2,793 of 3,591
Congrats on your purchase. If I recall these are already broken in, but if not, give them some time. My 109s get the most "head time" of all my gear at the moment.

Myself, I cannot take wailing saxes or horns with any of my gear, so no Miles Davis for me :wink:. HERE is my Tidal Jazz Playlist... you may find some tracks you like.

Be safe in the storm tomorrow!
Wow, we don't have a single artist in common. :smile:
They are well used. At least two owners, if not more. They came fully loaded with dandruff. I ran the lint roller up and down MANY times.:grin:

Liking what I heard on my test list and I am currently running Keith Jarrett until the ball game starts. Won't get through many Sub Bear Concerts, but I will start again tomorrow morning.:L3000:

PS: I think that is a record for emojies used by me.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #2,794 of 3,591
what cable did you use for your 109? and did you notice any differents to the stock cable? i have heard by a youtuber that the "bad" treble can come from a bad stock cable, but i can't really belive it.
i use a hart audio cable which works verry well with my pair

Sep 15, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #2,795 of 3,591
what cable did you use for your 109? and did you notice any differents to the stock cable? i have heard by a youtuber that the "bad" treble can come from a bad stock cable, but i can't really belive it.
i use a hart audio cable which works verry well with my pair
I didn't use the stock cables. I pulled them out, looked at them and put them back in the pouch.

I already ordered the Hart cable with the extended tips. Just for giggles I tried my regular Hart 3.5mm stereo cables and they fit perfectly. Oh well, the other cable is on its way.

Probably not a bad thing as my 3.5mm's are already serving several headphones. IE. Focal, Hifiman, iBasso, etc.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #2,796 of 3,591
I didn't use the stock cables. I pulled them out, looked at them and put them back in the pouch.

I already ordered the Hart cable with the extended tips. Just for giggles I tried my regular Hart 3.5mm stereo cables and they fit perfectly. Oh well, the other cable is on its way.

Probably not a bad thing as my 3.5mm's are already serving several headphones. IE. Focal, Hifiman, iBasso, etc.
Thats great to hear. This is my cable i think i did the right color choise

Attachments

• 20230916_012206.jpg
    20230916_012206.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Sep 15, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #2,797 of 3,591
Thats great to hear. This is my cable i think i did the right color choise
Looks nice. I am a modular guy. Here is an old pic.

20220604_141422.jpg

My current set-up is:

IMG_20230828_133704927_HDR~2.jpg

Sep 15, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #2,798 of 3,591
thats quite a collection. here i am "only" sitting on a Fiio K7 :sweat_smile: but to be fair the 109 is my first close to 1k headphone. if there is more to come? time will tell i am still young

btw. try this one on your meze. it is amazing

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #2,799 of 3,591
thats quite a collection. here i am "only" sitting on a Fiio K7 :sweat_smile: but to be fair the 109 is my first close to 1k headphone. if there is more to come? time will tell i am still young

btw. try this one on your meze. it is amazing

Thanks, but I don't use Spotify, or any streaming service, so I only get a quick sample. I am more into new rock, classic rock, some blues and jazz.

My newest music is The Budos Band:

Ayron Jones:

Foo Fighters:

Dave Matthews Band

And then lots of singles and Jazz.
:thumbsup:

Sep 15, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #2,800 of 3,591
i had my love hate relationship with them too. but now i would never want to dump them.
for bass test, this one is really great.

and the meze did hit much harder compared to my hd 660s 2

I'll see your bass test and raise you Give It To Me haha, just having an old school flashback myself!

----------------
Q. to anyone...
Been watching this thread for some time. I have a modest setup, my most recent puchase was some used Focal Clear MG Pro's. Now I am more than happy with them on the whole but if there's slightest hint of distortion on a track, produced intentionally or not, the MGs are massively unforgiving and exaggerate any distortion.
Eg. on Joss Stone - Pillow Talk (don't particularly like the track, but serves as a good reference) there's an organ/synth that plays, at pretty much bang on 1min to 1m07s it becomes so distorted it sounds awful. How are the 109s at this particular point of the track?

So, how forgiving/resolving are the 109s with track distortion/poor recordings?

NOTE: I've tried on 2 DACS and 2 amps (1 DAC and amp are reference, too) and switched between them, so I'm pretty sure what I'm hearing is on the track and exaggerated by the MGs.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #2,802 of 3,591
My Meze 109 Pro connected with OPENHEART 16 Core balanced cable (4,4mm pentacon) to Topping A70 Pro. No complaints :D

Irrespective of music tastes (these clearly differ vastly), I suggest a listen to the Ultimate Demonstration Disc by Chesky Records.

ultimate-demonstration-disc-chesky-records-varbild-30634.jpeg

Available on Amazon and through streaming services, e.g. Tidal. Very informative. IMHO a "must-listen" particularly for those at the beginning of their audio journey :)

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #2,803 of 3,591
My friend boost 109p with trevor custom cable sound pretty good.
Yes, always listen to the cable!
No matter how good the expensive devices are - only equal money for the cable will make you hear better! :deadhorse:

Sep 16, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #2,804 of 3,591
I am hoping my ears are just as aged and don't mind the treble.

I have heard the treble will put holes in the side of your head, the mids are so recessed you can hardly hear them and the bass is non-existent. :grin:

Hopefully, my experience is a lot better than that.

I am not a huge fan of closed backs but the Radiance are wonderful! When I need isolation from either side of the headphones, I am happy to put them on.

My birthday is on Saturday so I am going to have a few drinks tomorrow and hopefully explore my new cans.:L3000:
Happy birthday, Shane!

Sep 16, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #2,805 of 3,591

Users who are viewing this thread

Back