Meze Audio 109 Pro
Aug 16, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #2,716 of 3,591
Aug 16, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #2,717 of 3,591
We are all insane. HP, amp, dac, streamer, source, cables (analog, digital, power(?)), your mood, time of day, all make a difference. Even if you are after a coffe makes a difference (no joke).
Try once in the night, in darkness, or low light - you will be surprised.
So true. At the gym, after a high stim pre workout and the adrenaline is flowing in full force, even my 99 Classics can sound like the best headphones ever. Mood, perception, dopamine levels, it all makes a difference. When you find that headphone that sounds good no matter, that one is a keeper.
And yes, dacs, tuning, amps, chain - definitely sound different. I've become a sucker for Shanling house tuning /AKM devices. I have little desire to venture elsewhere unless I'm after something they don't produce.

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #2,718 of 3,591
i wonder when dekoni comes with replancement pads? would love having some leather pads on my meze, even if the stock pads already are super comfy.

and it is true, music sound amazing at night, but even better when i come home late from work and sit at my desktop and enjoy my music makes a huge different

Aug 17, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #2,720 of 3,591
so i am not insane? dacs can make a different?
I was surprised when hearing the differences when switching and pairing Dac, Amp, and analog cable. However, I heard nothing about digital sources or USB cables.
Later on, I got my gf and mom to try a few HP+Dac/Amp pairings to justify my insanity. Both of them can confirm that they hear the differences, some of them are more significant than others.
So, there we have 3 insane peeps in the house.:smile:

Aug 17, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #2,721 of 3,591
I've been listening to Meze 190 for half a year. Now I listen with E70V topping and A class amplifier Flux Labs. An interesting thing: if I listen directly from the dac through an RCA-jack 3.5mm adapter, the sound is exactly the same as if I listened through the amplifier.
I should think that the amplifier does not really matter for these headphones.

Aug 17, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #2,722 of 3,591
I was surprised when hearing the differences when switching and pairing Dac, Amp, and analog cable. However, I heard nothing about digital sources or USB cables.
Later on, I got my gf and mom to try a few HP+Dac/Amp pairings to justify my insanity. Both of them can confirm that they hear the differences, some of them are more significant than others.
so i should not use the usb connector? how should i connect to my pc then? but i love how my k7 sounds with the 109 pro. electric guitars now sound super smooth

Aug 17, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #2,723 of 3,591
I've been listening to Meze 190 for half a year. Now I listen with E70V topping and A class amplifier Flux Labs. An interesting thing: if I listen directly from the dac through an RCA-jack 3.5mm adapter, the sound is exactly the same as if I listened through the amplifier.
I should think that the amplifier does not really matter for these headphones.
Amps do matter; some offer less differences than others. It's a game of matching. But the Meze sound very good as such; the amp character just improve the last % of ultimate sound quality. Diminishing returns....:wink:

Aug 17, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #2,724 of 3,591
I contacted my late grandfather (whose ears I trust) via FaceSeance/Skype and asked him to compare the sound of various 1’s and 0’s from a beamed digital file. He said one was slightly ahead of the other but did say which one.

Aug 18, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #2,725 of 3,591
i started loving the extra brightness of the 109 pro over the 660s2. also i feel like there is much cleaner bass and they still punch quite good. my s2 is sometimes quite dark for some tracks where the meze do shine instand. it is incredible how different 2 warm sounding headphone can sound. also i think the 109 pro addes much more air to to sound

Aug 19, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #2,726 of 3,591
so i should not use the usb connector? how should i connect to my pc then? but i love how my k7 sounds with the 109 pro. electric guitars now sound super smooth
There are optical and coaxial ports for K7. I normally use connect to a pc with a USB port too.
My point is though changing some devices/gears in the audio chain can affect the sound. Just exceptions for a better USB cable DAP or desktop music player, so I don't spend much on upgrading those things.

Anyway, Meze 109 Pro is not an analytical headphone that is heavily effect by DAC/AMP. It is easily matched with many DAC/AMPs for greater enjoyment. It will be only a small % improvement, a cherry on top.

Aug 19, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #2,727 of 3,591
A live picture of my brain when listening to the Meze 109 Pro! :darthsmile:

hirn-traegt-kopfhoerer.webp

© Getty Images/BlackJack3D
Article: https://www.gmx.at/magazine/wissen/...k-gehirn-song-hirnaktivitaet-erfasst-38540840

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #2,728 of 3,591
A live picture of my brain when listening to the Meze 109 Pro! :darthsmile:

hirn-traegt-kopfhoerer © Getty Images-BlackJack3D.jpg
© Getty Images/BlackJack3D
I'd love to see my brain measured when listening to music.

And then compare it to the brain response of my significant other, who doesn't care for sound quality.

Aug 19, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #2,729 of 3,591
after i got used to my mezes i can say the same. the wide soundstage is just insane good, i can listen to them for hours also the speed and bass is just wow. perfect for instrumental techno

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #2,730 of 3,591
Just out of curiosity, which would you guys consider the best replacement pads for the Meze 109 pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back