Meze Audio 109 Pro
Aug 7, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #2,658 of 3,466
Anyone using their 109's with a tube amp? If so, which amp and do the 109's respond well to a warmer tube sound? If you get what I mean lol...

I've read a few reviews/comments that 109's have a slightly warm sig. Is it too much, overly warm when paired with tube?

Currently got a Tor Audio tube amp on order, can't wait to use my tubes again. Just wondering if the 109's would be a good pairing...
I have the 109 for 9 months now and they DO burn in (100 to 150 hours)...and they CAN scale up immensly depending on your amp source.
My Fiio M11 did drive them properly, I tried with RME Dac Fs and it was a minor improvment. Same with Teac Ha-501 amp.
But the most incredible scaling up was reached with the Feliks Audio Echo mkII...an OTL tube amp !!
This pairing is incredible - holographic wide 3D... I found this thanks to many others before me.
So even if they are easy to drive, their sonic qualities do vary depending on the chain, especially the amp according to my experiences.

Aug 8, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #2,659 of 3,466
Hello again, I am back here to ask about a replacement cable for my Meze 109 Pro again. I absolutely love the sound of my Meze and I have no issue at all with their stock cable but I am always thinking about an upgrade. Now, I realize that a better amp could be an actual upgrade, or maybe not so much since I have the Mojo 2? Anyway, a good headphone amp could cost me up to £700 so I'm thinking more of a cable upgrade.

I've already asked NICEHCK on AliExpress and they said they do not have anything available for the Meze 109 Pro, they cannot help. I've also asked XINHS there and he said, he is on holiday and contact him on the 10th of April.

@DrewVz , which cable would you suggest me, please? Can the MONO 3.5 MM COPPER PCUHD PREMIUM CABLE be considered a serious and justifiable upgrade? I am seeing on the Meze website that there is a 30-day return policy, so I assume I am covered in case there will be no audible results for me?

My Meze 109 Pro sounds amazing to my ears with the stock cable. I almost never feel the need for more bass and, I guess, if I'll be in need of it, there's always Mojo 2's EQ, which I never use.

Would you suggest me a cable replacement then?

Thank you
I am using the Meze "silver" 4.4mm balanced cable with my FiiO M11 Pro and Cayin RU6. I have 70+ year old ears so I like a slightly brighter sound.

I suspect the move to a balanced amp will provide the most noticible sound improvement.

Aug 8, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #2,660 of 3,466
I have the 109 for 9 months now and they DO burn in (100 to 150 hours)...and they CAN scale up immensly depending on your amp source.
My Fiio M11 did drive them properly, I tried with RME Dac Fs and it was a minor improvment. Same with Teac Ha-501 amp.
But the most incredible scaling up was reached with the Feliks Audio Echo mkII...an OTL tube amp !!
This pairing is incredible - holographic wide 3D... I found this thanks to many others before me.
So even if they are easy to drive, their sonic qualities do vary depending on the chain, especially the amp according to my experiences.
Yes, I do have a same experience with their improvement over the time of burn-in. Actually after the purchase I prefered Hifiman Edition XS over 109 Pro. After a few months I prefer 109 Pro with really better sound quality which was not obvious at the start. From the start 109 Prro sounded little muddy and hot on highs. Sharp someone would say. Now they sound detailed, airy, with a very good dynamics. It's like 800s with fuller Meze mids and nice lows. No sharp highs at all. Maybe a little if recording is rubbish.

Aug 8, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #2,661 of 3,466
I am using the Meze "silver" 4.4mm balanced cable with my FiiO M11 Pro and Cayin RU6. I have 70+ year old ears so I like a slightly brighter sound.

I suspect the move to a balanced amp will provide the most noticible sound improvement.

Hi!

Well, thanks for your reply but do you realize that you've quoted a post of mine from... Apr 8, 2023?
Since then I've purchased the HAKUGEI Healer cable, as shown in my signature, and I am completely satisfied with it, when listening using my FiiO BTR7 (LDAC) and especially when I am listening using my Mojo 2, as I am doing right now. I can hear up to 17kHz. I am not planning to buy a Headphone Amplifier anymore.

Aug 10, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #2,662 of 3,466
Just got my 109 pro's and love them. Are the meze copper premium cables worth? Does the termination picked matter?

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #2,664 of 3,466
Just got my 109 pro's and love them. Are the meze copper premium cables worth? Does the termination picked matter?
I like to drive my headphones (and earphones) in balanced mode as I believe that doubling the output power will help optimize my sound quality. There are many fourum discussions on balanced/non-balanced.

I bought the Meze "silver" cable with 4.4mm balanced plug. Your Monolith amp uses 4-pin XLR for balanced out. I got a 4.4mm (f) to 4-pin XLR (m) adapter for my Centrance M8 amp.

I believe the 4.4mm cable will serve you better as you obtain new gear.

I also have the less expensive Meze copper cable, and my old ears cannot hear any significant difference. I do not find the 109 Pros to be too bright or harsh; just right with no EQ :)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #2,667 of 3,466
Aug 11, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #2,668 of 3,466
eighter the pads break once you take them off or i am to stupid to put them on again i tried so many times now and i i get mad every time i just should have left them on. how the hell should i take them on without knowing where to start? i actually love the beyerdynamic or sennheisers way. you really need stady hands for this

Aug 11, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #2,669 of 3,466
eighter the pads break once you take them off or i am to stupid to put them on again i tried so many times now and i i get mad every time i just should have left them on. how the hell should i take them on without knowing where to start? i actually love the beyerdynamic or sennheisers way. you really need stady hands for this
There's a short video on YouTube. This is a relatively common pad attachment with many different headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back