Meze Audio 109 Pro
Jul 25, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #2,596 of 3,506
I have an iFi go link balanced output dongle, the sound and the price is good, not enough power though. I rarely use it, as I prefer using AutoEQ versus balanced output anytime. If you think I was too harsh about Meze 109, here is one and only review I found on amazon in Spain which is really harsh (auto translation):

One thing this reviewer didn't mention is that Meze 109 sound stage doesn't feel like premium open back headphones should. It is similar to closed back Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b which can be bought for 100 euros when on sale, and ATH-MSR7b treble is better as well (still too much to my taste though). Meze 109 doesn't come even close to open back Beyerdynamic DT-880 in terms of feeling space/sound stage.
Wow. One reviewer on Amazon -- a site renowned for fake reviews, both positive and negative -- is the final word. Love the deep sourcing.

Jul 25, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #2,597 of 3,506
pk4425, kindly listen to a very good explanation about DACs (the video should start at 6:34):

You posted a video from David Mellor -- a knowledgeable guy -- that says people waste money on buying equipment that's beyond their hearing capability. Yet you're the guy posting THD specs down to the ten-thousandth as proof for why your rig is superior. Interesting.

My JDS Labs Atom+ DAC cost $110. It kicks ass for me. So, you're barking up the wrong tree, dude. I agree with this guy. I don't spend a ton on DACs or amps. I just want enough clean power with low distortion from my amp and minimal coloration of the sound from my DAC, with great build quality and superb customer service. JDS gives me all that, at killer prices.

As I said, you seem to be confused and tying yourself into a tighter Gordian knot with every post.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #2,598 of 3,506
what are you listen to on your mezes if i may asK? for my genres (mostly electronic/techno, heavy metal and some hip hop) they where not enjoyable at all

Jul 25, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #2,599 of 3,506
I wonder on what you base these Statements.

On one side you argue that DAC THD specs matter even in the inaudible range and all DACs essentially sound the same.
And on the other hand you completely ignore specs and physics and claim that the ifi go link is not powerful enough for the 109 Pro.

The ifi go Link has an output power of 70mW according to spec sheet.
That means it can drive the 109 Pro to 110db!
How is 110db not enough?!

The GO Link works really well with the 109 Pro in my experience :)

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #2,600 of 3,506
i think we can all agree that the 109 pro dosen't sound 800 bucks and we got lied too. and should somehow get a replacement for these. this is just horrible done by meze.
even an hifiman sundara outperform these by miles
Speak for yourself. I love mine ❤️

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #2,601 of 3,506
My JDS Labs Atom+ DAC cost $110. It kicks ass for me. So, you're barking up the wrong tree, dude. I agree with this guy. I don't spend a ton on DACs or amps. I just want enough clean power with low distortion from my amp and minimal coloration of the sound from my DAC, with great build quality and superb customer service. JDS gives me all that, at killer prices.
I think all comes to what headphone you are using, what you are looking for (good enough - the best value - the absolute best) and how deep you want to go. If you want to understand things, experiment, see if what you hear around is true, etc.

If you own an HP that does not scale much and good enough is okay for you, why not stop at entry level gear? JDS is great nonetheless.

Personally, i've had an HP that did not scale much, the Sennheiser 560S, which sounded very similar on three different amp, and another that scaled much more, the Sundara.

The Sundara really changed on different amps, going from the JDS EL AMP II to the K9 Pro made quite some difference, and even more on the EF400, which makes the bass of the Sundara sound like it is a different headphone compared to how it sounded on the JDS EL AMP II. I did the testing with volume matching and A/B with less than a second to switch.

On the HE1000 Stealth there is a very noticeable difference going from the K9 Pro to the EF400 + G111 Mk2: less fatiguing, more enjoyable, smoother experience. Do i hear the same difference on the Aeolus? No, at least not to the same extent. Another example of an HP that does not scale to me is the ATH R70X, wich makes expensive gear useless (to my ears, not talking in absolute). Maybe the 109 pro is one of those headphones that won't scale much (and considering it's a DD with low impedance... it's likely to be the case).

So... is expensive gear always useless? No. Might be overpower for most people? Yes.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #2,602 of 3,506
i think we can all agree that the 109 pro dosen't sound 800 bucks and we got lied too. and should somehow get a replacement for these. this is just horrible done by meze.
even an hifiman sundara outperform these by miles
I thought the same but after 60-80 hours burn in it sounds fantastic ,it’s much better than many other headphone with higher prices.
i use mine with iPad Pro 12,9 M2 and Hiby FC3 (you don’t need Amps with more than 70mw.)
my music genres are Metal ,New Metal ,Progressive Metal ,Rock ,Punk Rock.
Like: SlipKnoT,System of a Down,Disturbed,KoRn,Bad Reliogion ,The Offspring,Greenday,Sum41,Rammstein,Die Toten Hose,Dream Theater and many more.
i really love my Meze 109 Pro ❤️❤️❤️
best headphone for Rock and Metal and for movies .

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #2,603 of 3,506
For my preferences they are an fantastic headphone with a great tonality. I think they punch well above their asking price.
I tried them from my laptop for a quick check of some tracks using its internal DAC, it sounded harsh.
These headphones even though they don not need much power to drive they will show how good the downstream equipment is.

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #2,604 of 3,506
I was very hesitant about the 109 Pro, since it is reportedly harsh in the Treble.

Now I have them in my own System and can't find any harshness.
They do have lively treble and are certainly warm not dark. At a high end chain they are not harsh tho

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #2,605 of 3,506
I thought the same but after 60-80 hours burn in it sounds fantastic ,
So it goes from horrible (op) to “fantastic” with 60-80 hours use.

Interesting.

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #2,606 of 3,506
DACS for 109 Pros

I am using the 4.4mm silver plated cable from Meze. I have pretty good ears for being over 70. After about 75 hours I never found the 109Pro to be too bright.

Playing my Tidal test playlist, and in particular Ana Popovic's "Like it on Top"

My experience, in order of preference (no EQ applied):

1. iPad Pro > Crayin RU6 (R-2R)
  2. FiiO M11 Pro DAP (AK4497EQ)
  3. iPhone 6 > FiiO KA3 (ES9038Q2M)
The M11 Pro and the RU6 are very close in sound quality. The electric bass and the kick drum are distinct and tight, although the kick drumb sounds like it contains a pillow. Vocals are front and centre (Grado-like). The snares are clear on the right. Sound stage is about 170 degrees with good isolation around instruments.

The RU6 has a slight lead in clarity and isolation. Not as warm as the M11 Pro.

My iPhone6 will not drive the RU6, so I bought the FiiO KA3. It is a step down from the above DACs but at $80 is good value. It is warmer that the RU6 and the M11 Pro. Snares are less snappy. Like a warm veil over the sound stage compared to the other two.

That's my take.

Jul 26, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #2,608 of 3,506
DACS for 109 Pros

I am using the 4.4mm silver plated cable from Meze. I have pretty good ears for being over 70. After about 75 hours I never found the 109Pro to be too bright.

Playing my Tidal test playlist, and in particular Ana Popovic's "Like it on Top"

My experience, in order of preference (no EQ applied):

1. iPad Pro > Crayin RU6 (R-2R)
  2. FiiO M11 Pro DAP (AK4497EQ)
  3. iPhone 6 > FiiO KA3 (ES9038Q2M)
The M11 Pro and the RU6 are very close in sound quality. The electric bass and the kick drum are distinct and tight, although the kick drumb sounds like it contains a pillow. Vocals are front and centre (Grado-like). The snares are clear on the right. Sound stage is about 170 degrees with good isolation around instruments.

The RU6 has a slight lead in clarity and isolation. Not as warm as the M11 Pro.

My iPhone6 will not drive the RU6, so I bought the FiiO KA3. It is a step down from the above DACs but at $80 is good value. It is warmer that the RU6 and the M11 Pro. Snares are less snappy. Like a warm veil over the sound stage compared to the other two.

That's my take.
Try the hiby FC3 in my opinion a very awesome sound for 60€
great punchy and deep bass,the heights and mids are crystal clear no harsh or too bright.
really awesome little dac/amp
it have 70mwm for the Meze 109 pro you will never need more.
the Dac Chip is a ES9281Pro,pretty awesome.
I love the Combination with iPad Pro 12,9 M2 and Hiby FC3.
it have only a 3,5mm output.
i tested it with many headphones on and many dac/amps on the balanced 4,4mm or 2,5mm output allways with the same result.
Balanced mode is in my opinion not better than single end mode it has not ,deeper/better Bass, cleaner sound ,better quality or something else,its only louder.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #2,609 of 3,506
I’ve had the 109s for awhile and I think they are fantastic. I run them through an Xduoo ta-22 with an iPad Pro 12. I’m not an audiophile, I’m not overly concerned about the Harman curve. I love music and want to be able to feel the emotion in the music. I just got done listening to Stevie Ray Vaugn and double troubles In Step. Stevie is my favorite guitarist because you can hear the emotion in his playing and his singing, not to mention the band’s playing is amazing. It sounded better than I think I have ever heard it. The mezes are the best sounding headphones I’ve ever heard.

Jul 26, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #2,610 of 3,506
I have an iFi go link balanced output dongle, the sound and the price is good, not enough power though.

Thanks for your feedback! Do you mean here not enough SPL from our GO link, or something else entirely?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back