Meze Audio 109 Pro
Apr 4, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #2,191 of 3,452
How did you get that stealth "black" version? Does Meze offer a "Noir" version of the 109 Pro, or did you mod it?

Looks badass.
Meze keeps selling 'all black' versions as a special to German market only. There used to be an 'all black' Empyrean too. German folks seem to love their black. :)

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #2,193 of 3,452
Meze keeps selling 'all black' versions as a special to German market only. There used to be an 'all black' Empyrean too. German folks seem to love their black. :)
You beat me with the answer while I was posting. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :L3000:

Apr 5, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #2,194 of 3,452
Thanks. The Meze Premium cables are well made no doubt but I find it rather thin regarding quantity of copper used. As far as I know, they don’t disclose the AWG of their cables but my guess is they would be between 24-26. I’m looking for 18 to 20 AWG OCC copper Litz cables. That will inevitably bring more body to the sound. Norne and Artic seems to have what I want with reasonable pricing.

Now this post does make me laugh. The 109 Pro need roughly 5ma of current RMS / 1mW / 0.2v to get to 110dB

There is no way a 24, 26 or 28awg cable is changing the sound based on the thickness. A thicker cable will not suddenly carry more signal, or make the sound have more body, that's your brain.

FYI I do believe in small audible differences in cables due to material differences, but headphone cables don't carry high current or voltage so anything above 28awg is absolutely fine.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #2,195 of 3,452
Somebody's world has just fallen apart :D

Apr 8, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #2,196 of 3,452
Hello again, I am back here to ask about a replacement cable for my Meze 109 Pro again. I absolutely love the sound of my Meze and I have no issue at all with their stock cable but I am always thinking about an upgrade. Now, I realize that a better amp could be an actual upgrade, or maybe not so much since I have the Mojo 2? Anyway, a good headphone amp could cost me up to £700 so I'm thinking more of a cable upgrade.

I've already asked NICEHCK on AliExpress and they said they do not have anything available for the Meze 109 Pro, they cannot help. I've also asked XINHS there and he said, he is on holiday and contact him on the 10th of April.

@DrewVz , which cable would you suggest me, please? Can the MONO 3.5 MM COPPER PCUHD PREMIUM CABLE be considered a serious and justifiable upgrade? I am seeing on the Meze website that there is a 30-day return policy, so I assume I am covered in case there will be no audible results for me?

My Meze 109 Pro sounds amazing to my ears with the stock cable. I almost never feel the need for more bass and, I guess, if I'll be in need of it, there's always Mojo 2's EQ, which I never use.

Would you suggest me a cable replacement then?

Thank you

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #2,197 of 3,452
That's the cable I use and I love it. You can't go wrong with the Meze cable.

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #2,198 of 3,452
Okay, I understand, thank you.

I will try to have a serious discussion with XINHS to see if he can create a similar cable at a better price and, if not, I might try Meze's.

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #2,199 of 3,452
it's better to go with meze, other 3rd party cable may alter the signature too much, or for worst. You can be sure meze upgrade cable is what the manufacturer wants you to hear on their headphone.

I got a nobunaga labs advance tpc cable for ie600 previously, end up the cable was a total mis-match. Ie600 become so spacious sounding and the bass disappeared totoally.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #2,200 of 3,452
it's better to go with meze, other 3rd party cable may alter the signature too much, or for worst. You can be sure meze upgrade cable is what the manufacturer wants you to hear on their headphone.

I got a nobunaga labs advance tpc cable for ie600 previously, end up the cable was a total mis-match. Ie600 become so spacious sounding and the bass disappeared totoally.
Hmm, yeah, you are right...

It's just that, I have contacted XINHS in the past, asking for a cable for my other headphone, the KLH Ultimate One, and the 8-Cores Graphene cable he created for me definitely improved the sound of that headphone, it is definitely much better than the KLH stock cable. So, I will have a serious conversation with him first, and if he cannot help, I will seriously consider the Meze cable.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #2,202 of 3,452
Apr 8, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #2,203 of 3,452
My Meze 109 Pro sounds amazing to my ears with the stock cable. I almost never feel the need for more bass and, I guess, if I'll be in need of it, there's always Mojo 2's EQ, which I never use.

Would you suggest me a cable replacement then?

Thank you
Sorry to butt in as a non-109 Pro owner, but didn't you just answer your question? You say the 109 Pro sounds amazing with the stock cable. Isn't that what it's about, man? If you're happy, why spend money to chase some sort of mythical audio nirvana that you seemingly already have reached with this headphone?

Close your wallet. Enjoy the music.

My 7 cents. Carry on ...

Apr 8, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #2,204 of 3,452
Sorry to butt in as a non-109 Pro owner, but didn't you just answer your question? You say the 109 Pro sounds amazing with the stock cable. Isn't that what it's about, man? If you're happy, why spend money to chase some sort of mythical audio nirvana that you seemingly already have reached with this headphone?

Close your wallet. Enjoy the music.

My 7 cents. Carry on ...
Thanks man, I appreciate your common sense, we needs it some times!

But here's how I am thinking: I have already experienced how a better cable can make the sound better with some, if not all, of my IEMs and with my other headphone (KLH). So, since there is a 30 day return policy from Meze, I believe I could give the Meze cable a try. I wish there was a dealer in my area where I could just test it or better borrow a demo cable for a few days. But since there isn't, I might give it a try. :)

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #2,205 of 3,452
Thanks man, I appreciate your common sense, we needs it some times!

But here's how I am thinking: I have already experienced how a better cable can make the sound better with some, if not all, of my IEMs and with my other headphone (KLH). So, since there is a 30 day return policy from Meze, I believe I could give the Meze cable a try. I wish there was a dealer in my area where I could just test it or better borrow a demo cable for a few days. But since there isn't, I might give it a try. :)
Same experience here. Not only, with headphones cables, but all cables and everything responsible for carrying any form of signal. Starting with controlling vibrations of electric path. Because at the end, what you hear is electricity. Simple as that. Better material, bigger gauge, better geometric designs, better isolation are all important aspects for better conductivity and ultimately, sound.

I have the Meze Premium PCUHD silver-plated at the moment and the stock cable is absolutely no match. Much more clarity, details, space, separation and sheer resolution wilth the upgrade. But of course, the fact that I am now using the balanced output of my Fiio M11 Plus has an important impact also.

As far as material goes, I think the 109 will be more suited with copper cable because of their dynamic and sometimes borderline aggressive nature with some high energy music.

I found the silver-plated cable too energetic for the 109 in the +/- first 50 hours. Now reaching the 100 hours mark, I found the sound more balanced. But I still recommend copper.

I just order a Norne Drausk V2 18 AWG OCC copper. I will be able to compare it to the MEZE PCUHD silver-plated. I will maybe keep both if they are complimentary and can suited different listening mood.

I think you can’t go wrong with the MEZE Premium cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back