Meze Audio 109 Pro
Mar 6, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #1,951 of 3,591
What people don't understand is that typically the high-dollar headphones are more picky about the amps and DACs that they're paired up with. Their advantages are harder to tease out unless you have correspondingly equivalent gear driving them. Sure, they'll work, and they'll sound good, but without high end upstream gear you're not going to get the best out of them.

So it's not just that the 109 Pros are great sounding headphones, they are more forgiving of cheaper gear upstream. They might not have summit-Fi potential, but they'll sound up to their peak without breaking the bank on other gear.
That doesnt apply to Elite. In general, yes. But the Elite shines on anything, and in my case my Fiio K9 Pro will push either fine. Ive heard Empyrean and Elite, it's just been over a year ago and I didnt have a 109 pro until Jan this year, so I havent A/B. What I can say is I love the 109 Pro but yet I still miss "something" in that Empy/Elite sound sig. I guess it might be my general preference to planar over dynamic. I currently dont have any planars as I sold my LCD-3s (because after hearing Empy and Elite they sound kind of unnatural).

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #1,952 of 3,591
I do find it humorous that y'all kinda crap on Elite compared to 109, but then said Arya is a step up or another said LCD-X is better.
Thats ludicrous to my ears. Shows how subjective this all is.
To me HE1000v2 clearly beats Arya Stealth (or LCD-X) at everything, but doesnt really touch a Meze Elite. Again, my opinion.
But I also value the comfort and build quality of Meze as well.

I would like to have both a Hifiman HE1000v2 Stealth and an Elite, though, as they would complement each other.
Certainly wouldnt get rid of the 109 pro regardless- it's a keeper.
Aint this fun?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #1,953 of 3,591
I don’t like the metallic treble of the 109’s. Even tho they are great cans, the Elites are a pretty big step up in every way. imho.

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #1,954 of 3,591
I'll give you my opinion: If you like the 109 Pro, stick with it and forget about the Elite unless you have another 3-4 grand sitting around gathering dust. I sold my Elites after buying the 109 Pro, that's how special it is.

I understand your hopefulness in thinking that since they are both Meze products, and the Elites cost so much more, that they must be "better". And in some ways they are, but honestly the dynamics, tonality, texture, bass response, and clarity are ALL better with the 109 Pro. Technicalities, detail quantity, and soundstage are really the only areas where the Elites shine, by comparison. Again, this is only my opinion after owning both.

Frankly, after owning several multi-kilobuck headphones and IEMs, I find myself more than satisfied with many various alternatives below the $1k mark. The 109 Pro is right near the top. It's just so engaging and alluring to listen to. Vocals are super clear and forward. I haven't missed my Elites for a single second since owning the 109 Pros.
My favorite headphones of all time are $500. The 109 Pro is a phenomenal compliment to them.

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #1,955 of 3,591
One can look at technicalities on headphones and say one is better than the other, objectively. However, we all have different tolerances for different sounds, different tastes in music, and different priorities on what features are the most important.

For me, since I mainly listen to Classical, I find the soundstage, imaging, and timbre are the most important in headphones I own, and in that priority as well. Out of the headphones I owned and that are usually discussed around here, the HE1000 V2 is probably the best headphone objectively, followed by the Arya Stealth, then the Arya V2, then the 109 Pro. However, since I value soundstage the most in headphones, subjectively, the Arya V2 is the best headphone that I own, followed by the HE1000 V2, then the 109 Pro, and then the Arya Stealth.

All that being said, if you asked me I could only have one headphone for the rest of my life, then that would be the HE1000 V2 or Arya Stealth since they're the most well rounded.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #1,956 of 3,591
I agree, while I consider the 109 Pro to be competitive as a $800 pair of headphones, the Arya and HE1000 are regarded by many to be class-leading in their respective price brackets. I own all 3 and it's really not a fair comparison.

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #1,957 of 3,591
I agree, while I consider the 109 Pro to be competitive as a $800 pair of headphones, the Arya and HE1000 are regarded by many to be class-leading in their respective price brackets. I own all 3 and it's really not a fair comparison.
People definitely do hear things differently, and have their own particular preferences in the sound profile that suits them.

I owned the Arya V2 and the Elite and sold them both and I do not miss them for one minute. The Elite is an extremely good headphone, but the Arya isn't in the same category. I much prefer the 109 to the Arya. To say it's not a fair comparison implies that the Arya outclasses the 109, which it most certainly does not.

If details and technicalities are your thing, then the Elites have them in spades. But there's more involved in sound reproduction than just those two qualities.

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #1,958 of 3,591
I'm not even sure why the Elites are thrown into this discussion. They are TOTL and should be compared to he likes of Susvara, 1266 Phi TC, and LCD5.

As for the HE1000/Arya, yes they do outclass the 109 Pro by a sizable margin. Of course I am talking details and technicalities. Everything else is subjective.

Mar 7, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #1,959 of 3,591
Of course I am talking details and technicalities. Everything else is subjective.
Lol. Aside from FR graphs or other measurements, EVERYTHING is subjective.

Mar 7, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #1,960 of 3,591
Agreed. Of my five high end cans I have the LCD-X, the LCD2-CB and the 109 Pro. The LCD-X is clearly superior to the 2CB, and the 2CB are a fine closed back headphone which I will smile with joy when using when I can't disturb anyone, but I'd pick the X nine times out of 10 over the 2CB

Well I have the LCD-X 2021 for just over a month now and the 109 pro for a week. Now they are both running balanced out of a Bifrost 2 to a Monolith Liquid Platinum. Initial impressions if I had to have one would be the LCD-X but it would not be any kind of happy decision because the 109 Pro are delicious as well. So comfy and a really nice detailed yet warm sound to them. The 109 pro to me have a more accessible and slightly laid back sound to them compared to my first planars, the X, they were a bit shouty to me at first, but now they are just magical and you take the few flaws because the overall package is so nice.

I'll be enjoying trying these both over the next few weeks and really getting a comparison with them going in my head.
Thanks for your feedback. But damn it, it's not helping me decide! Tough call for both of us, eh? :)

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #1,961 of 3,591
Lads,
Big fan of the Empyreans and I am thinking of buying a more portable pair of headphones to bring into work. I tried the 99 Neo's and they are too small for me. Are the 109 Pro's any bigger than the 99 Neo's? A side-by-side picture of them sitting on a table would be great. Thanks in advance! :relaxed:

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #1,962 of 3,591
I'm not even sure why the Elites are thrown into this discussion. They are TOTL and should be compared to he likes of Susvara, 1266 Phi TC, and LCD5.

As for the HE1000/Arya, yes they do outclass the 109 Pro by a sizable margin. Of course I am talking details and technicalities. Everything else is subjective.
I mentioned that I love 109 Pro, but, am saving up for the Elite. It's great, I want all opinions , comments, impressions, etc , but, ultimately it's personal preference.
The fact that phones like 109 Pro and Arya are being mentioned together with the TOTL is telling- the 109 Pro and Arya (esp Stealth imo) are fantastic headphones, and more-than-enough for most.

However, even Drew (who recommends passing on Elite) still has a DCA Expanse. Point being, there are a lot of great phones to match all our differing priorities. I mean, different genres really change opinions , obviously. A jazz lover isnt going to want the EDM's guys chain most likely.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #1,963 of 3,591
Lads,
Big fan of the Empyreans and I am thinking of buying a more portable pair of headphones to bring into work. I tried the 99 Neo's and they are too small for me. Are the 109 Pro's any bigger than the 99 Neo's? A side-by-side picture of them sitting on a table would be great. Thanks in advance! :relaxed:
bigger, badder, and more comfy in every way.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,964 of 3,591
I mentioned that I love 109 Pro, but, am saving up for the Elite. It's great, I want all opinions , comments, impressions, etc , but, ultimately it's personal preference.
The fact that phones like 109 Pro and Arya are being mentioned together with the TOTL is telling- the 109 Pro and Arya (esp Stealth imo) are fantastic headphones, and more-than-enough for most.

However, even Drew (who recommends passing on Elite) still has a DCA Expanse. Point being, there are a lot of great phones to match all our differing priorities. I mean, different genres really change opinions , obviously. A jazz lover isnt going to want the EDM's guys chain most likely.
I'm the other way round. I already have cans like the Elite and Expanse and I'm still interested in the 109 Pro.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #1,965 of 3,591

I haven't heard the 109 Pro yet, but I heard and owned several headphones throughout the years and the Elite is my favourite to date. I prefer the Elite to several other flagships. Detailed, highly natural with a sweet tone. Technical and a pleasure to listen to which of course can improve with your audio chain.
Each headphones are loved and hated/disregarded by some members in the community. If there is one thing I learnt throughout the years is that you should only trust your own ears and listen to the actual headphones, not to the (often) very superficial comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back