Meze Audio 109 Pro
Mar 4, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #1,891 of 3,467
After a burn-in or playback time of more than 150 hours, I am here to express my impressions about the Meze 109 Pro. It is my first Meze headphone, no prior experience with this company.

Starting with the design, I find it gorgeous, I absolutely love the shape and I treat it like a baby. For me, it feels very comfortable, I can wear it for hours. I almost never have time to sit down and listen to music, so I will be using it with my FiiO BTR7 and my Qudelix 5K. I am very pleased to report that with these two Bluetooth devices, while it cannot reach its full potential, it sounds super fun and musical. Also, the clamping force is ideal, something very important to me, as I am moving around doing various things at home, and I cannot afford a headphone which will be falling off my head or will give me the impression that it might do so.

I’ve started listening to my 109 Pro seriously since just yesterday. Here are the facts about my experience.

Source: My laptop [Foobar2000 – WASAPI] --> Chord Mojo 2 --> Meze 109 Pro

- I can listen fine up to 16kHz
- There is no driver mismatch on my 109 Pro

Playlist – All of the following albums are in .WAV format

Ajja & Cosmosis - The Alien Jams
Darkher - The Buried Storm
Dead Can Dance – Anastasis
Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of A Dying Sun
Delain - Apocalypse & Chill
Gargoyles - Evil Do'ers Will Be Smitten By The Wrath Of Gargoyles
Gregg Karukas - Soul Secrets
J.S. Bach - The Brandenburg Concertos
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Massive Attack – Mezzanine
Moonbound - Peak Of Eternal Light
Moonbound - Uncomfortable News From The Moon
Ott. - Baby Robot
Ott. – Heads
Ott. - Live At Gnomelandia
Ott. – MMII
Ott. & The All-Seeing I - Live At Terminal West
Ott. & The All-Seeing I - Live In The Studio
Ott. – Blumenkraft
Ott. – Fairchildren
Ott. – Mir
Ott. – Skylon
Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet

The most impressive thing for me is the holographic soundstage and the fact that all the frequencies are equally and clearly represented, across the entire spectrum. The instrument separation is fantastic and the detail retrieval is superb. Maybe I feel this way because I’ve been listening to .WAV but what impresses me pleasantly is that Amazon Music Unlimited and even YouTube sound fantastic to me! YouTube is very important for me because there I am discovering and listening to all my favourite DJ sets.

When it comes to the bass, the midrange and the treble, nothing is elevated, brought forward or feeling to dominate over the other. Everything sounds in place. I suppose I could add some bass or reduce the treble a bit with my Mojo’s 2 equalization or the Qudelix 5K PEQ but I haven’t felt the need to do it. The sound is energetic, dynamic and most importantly, supe fun! I can listen for hours without any fatigue. On rare occasions, like in one song, I do not even remember which one, I felt the treble sightly harsh. I have not felt myself desiring more bass.

The Meze 109 Pro is one of the best headphones I’ve ever purchased. Everything sounds amazing with it! Right now, it is the best sounding transducer I own! I reserve a special place in my heart for my IMR Rah 2023, currently burning-in, as well. But the Meze 109 Pro is currently the concert hall and the arena and the bar and the nightclub I carry on my head.❤️

PS: their booklet made me considering visiting Romania!
PPS: I also have to mention that I've purchased my pair from Audio Sanctuary and their Service has been impeccable, providing me with a fresh batch of the item!
I agree with everything, including the flaws, I add that sometimes I would have liked more bass, as in Black by Pearl Jam

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #1,892 of 3,467
I agree with everything, including the flaws, I add that sometimes I would have liked more bass, as in Black by Pearl Jam
I can understand you. I am listening to Electronica 85% of my time. My plan is to immerse into the Meze Sound and then, after a couple of months, I will seek for a replacement cable. I do not think I will pay for their own expensive cables, so I will seek the best alternative. It might have been already given a few pages back, I believe...

PS: the correct path would be to get a good desktop headphone amplifier but I don't think I will ever have time to sit down and listen to music.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #1,893 of 3,467
I can understand you. I am listening to Electronica 85% of my time. My plan is to immerse into the Meze Sound and then, after a couple of months, I will seek for a replacement cable. I do not think I will pay for their own expensive cables, so I will seek the best alternative. It might have been already given a few pages back, I believe...

PS: the correct path would be to get a good desktop headphone amplifier but I don't think I will ever have time to sit down and listen to music.
I use Mojo 2 and a cable from an Italian manufacturer, Invictus

Mar 4, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #1,894 of 3,467
PS: their booklet made me considering visiting Romania!
PPS: I also have to mention that I've purchased my pair from Audio Sanctuary and their Service has been impeccable, providing me with a fresh batch of the item!
Alright dude, What the f*ck? Your Playlist looks like you copied it DIRECTLY from my computer. Did you arrive at those albums on your own???

I know I've been promoting Alien Jams and Ott on this thread, but I didn't think anyone would go to the lengths that I have to try to dig up all of their works. Gargoyles? Hilarious. But you're still missing a few...

Mar 4, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #1,895 of 3,467
Ott is a fookin genius.

Unit Delta Plus is a great song to test your headphones with.

I need all the Ott WAV files but sadly I have none currently; can't find any.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #1,896 of 3,467
Ott is a fookin genius.

Unit Delta Plus is a great song to test your headphones with.

I need all the Ott WAV files but sadly I have none currently; can't find any.
Buy his albums from Bandcamp. Download in any format. I have all FLACs.

Mar 4, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #1,897 of 3,467
I love that Moog synth sound. I might just.

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #1,898 of 3,467
Alright dude, What the f*ck? Your Playlist looks like you copied it DIRECTLY from my computer. Did you arrive at those albums on your own???

I know I've been promoting Alien Jams and Ott on this thread, but I didn't think anyone would go to the lengths that I have to try to dig up all of their works. Gargoyles? Hilarious. But you're still missing a few...
Haha, no, not on my own. Actually, I have asked about some good music in the IMR thread, a few weeks back, and it was you who have introduced me to the Genius of Ott.
This led me to Bandcamp, where I bought his full discography in .WAV. Bandcamp's suggestions and their "You may also like..." led me to the rest.

Another amazing album is Ibiza Jams by Cosmosis & Quantica, forgotten to add that on my playlist even though I am listening to it, regularly, from my Android phone via UAPP.

I need to start visiting Bandcamp again soon.

Which ones am I missing???

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #1,899 of 3,467
All I know is Meze does Ott very right.

Mar 5, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #1,900 of 3,467
Mar 5, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #1,901 of 3,467
it's a true all-arounder.

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #1,902 of 3,467
So I am suppose to be receiving my 109's next week with the balanced silver cable upgrade. While I wait wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on a good Amp/Dac combo (all-in-one preferable) that pairs well with 109 & my LCD-XC. I currently have a ifi Gryphon I will be using but like to find a good desktop setup. Was considering Burson 3 Performance but wanted to see if anyone else has any good options around the $1k USD range?

Mar 5, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #1,903 of 3,467
Im really digging the Fiio K9 Pro. It's quite clean and linear and powers up over 2000mW on my 109s. Hell it even provides 1100mW to my HD650 (300ohm), so it's pretty damn good for even msrp. Mine is the ESS and was ~$799, but, the AKM model is available for closer to $600. In all honesty thats the one to buy bc at that price it's a steal.

But, there is also the Hifiman EF600 dropping any day and it looks pretty awesome. More powerful than the EF400, has their revamped R2R DAC as well. But, AFAIK nobody's tried one yet. It's right in that same price range, ~$800.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #1,904 of 3,467
So I am suppose to be receiving my 109's next week with the balanced silver cable upgrade. While I wait wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on a good Amp/Dac combo (all-in-one preferable) that pairs well with 109 & my LCD-XC. I currently have a ifi Gryphon I will be using but like to find a good desktop setup. Was considering Burson 3 Performance but wanted to see if anyone else has any good options around the $1k USD range?
My Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and Sony NW-WM1Z work well in terms of portable.

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #1,905 of 3,467
Anyone have any experience with IEMs that have a similar (identical if possible) signature and presentation to the 109 Pros?

I have the Advar, but they don't have nearly the bass that the 109 Pros have. Mids and treble are close, though, as is the lively presentation and above-average staging. But I'm looking for something that's crisp, clear, dynamic, and has good punch in the bass and sub-bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back