Meze Audio 109 Pro
Nov 10, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #1,024 of 3,591
Different sound signatures, different appearance, different comfort!
For more fun the 109 and for more reference tuning the 30.
Hi Ichos, glad to meet you in Head-Fi too!
The above is also my experience, though I only listened to the Meze 109 in a noisy environment. I hope I 'll be able to compare them methodically at some point.
Thanks for all your good work and information!

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #1,025 of 3,591
Hi Ichos, glad to meet you in Head-Fi too!
The above is also my experience, though I only listened to the Meze 109 in a noisy environment. I hope I 'll be able to compare them methodically at some point.
Thanks for all your good work and information!
Σε ευχαριστώ για τα καλά σου λόγια και θα χαρώ να βρεθούμε από κοντά.

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #1,026 of 3,591
The Dekoni pads arrived. They will fit but not perfectly since they are round...top bottom ok fit ...sides a little to big. They are deeper than original but your ear will touch top part a little. They have integrated cloth covering speaker. The sound in clear modified. All highs are damped. The 109 become more universal headphone tolerating also exaggerated highs in mastering or poor recording as whole, you could listen them without shrills through head. On the other side I think the damping is extendel a little to much over what I see as ideal...it go down to 1k realm or even lower. You loose some exciting high mids energy and some highs sparkle but you gain a more universal headphone that still will maintain clarity and still perform on good tracks. In my opinion it is just a tad 10% to much dampening in some areas from ideal to me. Also maybe the bass thru lower mids are a little bosted. The entire signature become more dark. But I think that they will remain as daily use because the better versatility to any type of music and recording. Nice if someone will be able to measure them.

Attachments

• 20221110_125209.jpg
    20221110_125209.jpg
    607.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221110_125320.jpg
    20221110_125320.jpg
    808.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221110_125342.jpg
    20221110_125342.jpg
    859.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #1,027 of 3,591
The Dekoni pads arrived. They will fit but not perfectly since they are round...top bottom ok fit ...sides a little to big. They are deeper than original but your ear will touch top part a little. They have integrated cloth covering speaker. The sound in clear modified. All highs are damped. The 109 become more universal headphone tolerating also exaggerated highs in mastering or poor recording as whole, you could listen them without shrills through head. On the other side I think the damping is extendel a little to much over what I see as ideal...it go down to 1k realm or even lower. You loose some exciting high mids energy and some highs sparkle but you gain a more universal headphone that still will maintain clarity and still perform on good tracks. In my opinion it is just a tad 10% to much dampening in some areas from ideal to me. Also maybe the bass thru lower mids are a little bosted. The entire signature become more dark. But I think that they will remain as daily use because the better versatility to any type of music and recording. Nice if someone will be able to measure them.
why did you replace the stock ear cushions?

Nov 11, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #1,030 of 3,591
the meze 109 or Aeolus?
Aeolus if you have tubes and 109 for everything else. To me the 109s do have more energy but man the Aeolus is still very good.

Nov 12, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #1,031 of 3,591
Hi everybody

I am having the 109 for a week now.
So far I'm enjoying this setup
For Desktop: Music Player -> Denafrips Ares ii > Cayin HA-6A -> Meze 109 Pro
For mobile (I mean when I move around the house lol): Phone ->Dragonquest Cobalt ->Meze 109 Pro

Gonna spend more time reviewing this piece of art. So here is my question

Since I'm looking for a cable with a 4.4 mm jack. Has anyone here been using the new Meze PCUHD cable?
It comes with different price tags for copper and silver-plated cables, both are 4.4 mm price
For Copper Cable = $269
For Silver-Plated Cable = $419

I might end up having some custom cables for lower spending, but I really curious about what others think of those cables.
PS: They are super GORGEOUS!!

Nov 12, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #1,032 of 3,591
Hi everybody

For mobile (I mean when I move around the house lol): Phone ->Dragonquest Cobalt ->Meze 109 Pro

Since I'm looking for a cable with a 4.4 mm jack. Has anyone here been using the new Meze PCUHD cable?
It comes with different price tags for copper and silver-plated cables, both are 4.4 mm price
For Copper Cable = $269

I might end up having some custom cables for lower spending, but I really curious about what others think of those cables.
Cable swapping on 109 Pro

I have both cables. The copper one is $59 USD on Amazon

The Silver plated cable is $129 USD on Amazon

I am using a Cayin RU6 DAC/amp out of a PC, 4.4mm out.

I just did a quick test swapping these cables and to my ears I cannot tell the difference.
The stock cable is fine too.
However, the silver one looks pretty on my pretty headphones :wink:
YMMV.

P.S.
In my experience, waiting for the drivers to reach optimum flexibility took 200 hours, so wait a while before making any decisions.

The NewFantasia 4.4mm Balanced Male Cable 6N OCC Copper Single Crystal Silver Plated Cord is only $49 USD.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #1,033 of 3,591
Hi everybody

For Copper Cable = $269

I use the 4.4mm copper cable with the 109 Pro. It's an excellent combination, both sonically and the industrial design). I'd imagine the SPC cable would be a better fit for the Empyrean and it is for sure preferable with the 99 Classic. The 109 already is fairly treble forward, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #1,034 of 3,591
Cable swapping on 109 Pro

I have both cables. The copper one is $59 USD on Amazon

The Silver plated cable is $129 USD on Amazon

I am using a Cayin RU6 DAC/amp out of a PC, 4.4mm out.

I just did a quick test swapping these cables and to my ears I cannot tell the difference.
The stock cable is fine too.
However, the silver one looks pretty on my pretty headphones :wink:
YMMV.

P.S.
In my experience, waiting for the drivers to reach optimum flexibility took 200 hours, so wait a while before making any decisions.

The NewFantasia 4.4mm Balanced Male Cable 6N OCC Copper Single Crystal Silver Plated Cord is only $49 USD.
I do agree with taking time to listen before the next purchase.

At this moment, I already notice the treble has toned down. The snare, hi-hat, and the sound of fingers snapping are down from the "Attention Seeking" level to "Living in Harmony" with other instruments and vocals. This headphone is getting more pleasant each time I put it on.

The Meze silver plated cable at $129 USD is looking nice and the price is more affordable too. I might do swapping between custom copper cable and this silver-plated one to test the differences.

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #1,035 of 3,591
I have both the silver
I do agree with taking time to listen before the next purchase.

At this moment, I already notice the treble has toned down. The snare, hi-hat, and the sound of fingers snapping are down from the "Attention Seeking" level to "Living in Harmony" with other instruments and vocals. This headphone is getting more pleasant each time I put it on.

The Meze silver plated cable at $129 USD is looking nice and the price is more affordable too. I might do swapping between custom copper cable and this silver-plated one to test the differences.
I have both the silver plated and new pure copper in 4.4mm that I use for various headphones. Don't shoot me folks, but with the copper cable, I'm hearing a slightly more analog sound. With some of my brighter cans, the presence region sounds ever so slightly more reserved. I will continue to use the silver plated with my darker sets.
Just to be aware, the copper cable is a little more thick and robust than the silver plated version. Definitely not what I would consider unruly, but a touch less manageable than the silver plated. As for details, resolution, imaging, etc., I'm not hearing much of a noticeable difference, but I haven't spent a whole lot of time comparing.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back