Meze Audio 109 Pro
Nov 5, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #1,007 of 3,470
Forgive me if I already asked, but what did you prefer about the 109 over the Clear MG? I'm assuming that the 109 is noticeably brighter and extended in the upper mids and lower treble? I'm getting a bit burnt out on trying different open backs - ya know, buying, selling, returning. The only two I would still like to try is the Beyerdynamic T1 3rd and 109. I liked the MG quite a bit, so if I can rule them out without having to play the game, I'd grab another MG.
I cannot give a detailed description as my audition time was just a few minutes in my headphone store. I do recall it was a quick decision once I put the 109s on.

A new positive review

https://headfonics.com/meze-audio-109-pro-review/

I still have my Elegias, and the comfort factor is almost as good as the Meze. The spaciousness, clarity, deep bass, mid vocals and pleasant upper ranges on the Meze are very pleasant. I have had the 109s on my head the most since I bought them.

Yesterday the rain was pounding on my skylight, so I went into my LCD-XC cocoon.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #1,008 of 3,470
I cannot give a detailed description as my audition time was just a few minutes in my headphone store. I do recall it was a quick decision once I put the 109s on.

A new positive review

I still have my Elegias, and the comfort factor is almost as good as the Meze. The spaciousness, clarity, deep bass, mid vocals and pleasant upper ranges on the Meze are very pleasant. I have had the 109s on my head the most since I bought them.

Yesterday the rain was pounding on my skylight, so I went into my LCD-XC cocoon.
100% my impression as well. I actually thought this was my comment reading it for a minute.

I have the Elegias as well. To be completely honest (and I've said this before), once you hear one Focal - you've heard them all. Yes there's some differences between them, but they are all always overshadowed by Focal's house sound. I would get a Clear too and a Stellia or ditch the Elegia for Stellia because the beryllium driver is a huge step up...but guess what? Sounds like a Focal. They all do. You can't shake it and that house sound simply dominates so without a side by side or recent comparison, as you listen to the music, you just forget. Plain and simple. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Focal too. I do hope to get the Stellia one day and I'll probably gift or sell the Elegias.

So I also chose the 109 Pro over the Clear MG. I compared both at CanJam with a pretty big bias for Focal going into it to be perfectly honest. Not that I haven't heard Meze before (I own the 99 Classics too). I just hands down said I'm going to compare a few open back but will likely leave with a pair of Clear MG. Nope! Big stunner for me. I left with neither. I slept on it. Read my notes. Briefly considered the Audeze MM-500 and then just got a pair of the 109 Pros. I don't hear any harshness in the treble either and I'm pretty treble sensitive too.

I honestly think it comes down to preference with the tuning. To be perfectly honest these are comparable headphones. I'd be more than happy with either, but I'd consider having both to be redundant. Or you could flip a coin. Or get the less expensive one. Either way. I don't think it'd make a huge difference.

Nov 5, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #1,010 of 3,470
Can someone post a picture with an exact measurement of the 109 frequency response?
In my experience, the 109s are best auditioned rather than analyzed. :)

Nov 5, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #1,011 of 3,470
Can someone post a picture with an exact measurement of the 109 frequency response?
Here you go:
1667680730642.png

Done on upright GRAS 43AG with RA0402 coupler and KB5000 pinna.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Nov 5, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #1,012 of 3,470
Going to try out some foam attenuators that I got from Dekoni a while ago, never used them before. Anyone have any good tracks they feel like are too hot with the 109 Pro's? I guess I'm fortunate in that I don't find these too bright or anything, but I figured I'd try to hear/reproduce what all the fuss is about and see how the foam may help. My bigger motivation is dust protection though to be completely honest with myself.

Nov 6, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #1,013 of 3,470
I definitely like the foam to help cover up and protect the drivers. Not that it's been proven that they'll be in danger from dust and such...but it's nice peace of mind. Black foam attenuator from Dekoni worked well and actually looks nice in there, it blends in well.

I don't know if it's made a huge difference just yet. I have to compare a bit more.

The one downside is that now my ears touch the foam sometimes. So that's just how close the drivers are. Wasn't an issue for me before. It's not terrible though and I don't think it'll be a problem, but it was just an observation.

I'll certainly be happy if it doesn't change the sound much as now I'm thinking more about dust covers here.

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #1,014 of 3,470
I think that anyone considering the sector under €/$ 1.000 must absolutely listen to the Neumann NDH 30 also (along with the very beautiful Meze 109 Pro). The NDH 30 brings an extremely detailed, very neutral and undistorted performance to an extend unheard in this price level. Could prove to be a landmark product. Time will tell...

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #1,015 of 3,470
I definitely like the foam to help cover up and protect the drivers. Not that it's been proven that they'll be in danger from dust and such...but it's nice peace of mind. Black foam attenuator from Dekoni worked well and actually looks nice in there, it blends in well.

I don't know if it's made a huge difference just yet. I have to compare a bit more.

The one downside is that now my ears touch the foam sometimes. So that's just how close the drivers are. Wasn't an issue for me before. It's not terrible though and I don't think it'll be a problem, but it was just an observation.

I'll certainly be happy if it doesn't change the sound much as now I'm thinking more about dust covers here.
If something like foam cover would be necessary, Meze will include it. Or you think you know more than Meze engineers? And the other thing is, why to hide that piece of art? 🙂

Nov 7, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #1,016 of 3,470
If something like foam cover would be necessary, Meze will include it. Or you think you know more than Meze engineers? And the other thing is, why to hide that piece of art? 🙂
Well that's what I thought as well. Still, it was a good question raised by people that's gone unanswered by Meze. Other companies do protect their drivers with a cover of some sort. So no, I don't think I know more than Meze, but Focal should know just as much and they do have something covering the driver a bit.

Plus, I can't see the artwork while it's on my head anyway.

Nov 7, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #1,017 of 3,470
Yes, I see that Focal put an minimal unobtrusive light and I think hard mesh right under metal grille to protect the driver. A hair that manage to go and sit over driver will cause distort this is clear.
I purchased the dekoni suede pads I wait for them but only after impulse purchasing I see that they also work on sound signature....produced also for beyerdynamic dt 1990 they attenuate the highs.

Attachments

• main_f0a4e192.jpg
    main_f0a4e192.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 0
Nov 7, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #1,018 of 3,470
Can anyone describe the sonic differences between this headphone and the Hifiman Ananda Stealth Magnet version? I knocked a couple of open backs off the want to try list. Primary genres are rock and metal. Trying to figure out which of the two are a bit more reserved in the upper mids and lower treble. That would be a great starting point.

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #1,019 of 3,470
Didn't see both measurements on a same rig, but to me it looks like the Ananda Stealth has pretty dominant peak around 6-7k. And there is QC and sample variations too (Hifiman?)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #1,020 of 3,470

A new positive review

I kind of stopped reading the review when he said you could exaggerate the bass range by boosting bass EQ (really?) and then claimed 1.2k was top of the midrange.

Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Pfgo
Back