Meze Audio 109 Pro
Oct 18, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #887 of 3,591
Maybe an alternative ear pad with a specific material to protect also the drivers and attenuate the highs will be released at a later time as an option. For example some marshall headphones had also an insert that you could use that subtle affect highs frequencies. Also I prefer a more thick ear pad, but not much, because with the original ones at times I fell that ear lobes touch the metallic protection mesh. As I say earlier I already shorted the elastic part of the auto-adjusting head band ...it is not so complicated to do...now for me the fit is much better, removed some 1cm of the elastic band. For smaller heads I think it is to lose...always feeling that the cups tend to slide down on ears generating a sense of instability...now they almost disappear. Don't get me wrong the headphones are really great as they are, I don't have experience with headphones on high tier of over 1000 €/$ but surely they sound much better than what I heard on 400$ mark, could not slightly compare. Another level of bass, mids and higs, fenomenal clarity and lack of distortion and excellent soundstage. I really enjoy the sound on most songs as they are but they will be perfect with some little tweak perhaps between 4k-8k by an dsp or a physicals insert. I am curious when measurements will appear and some eq profiles for them. It worth trying also aftermarket earpads because close to generic dimensions and classic fixing system.

Do you mind sharing how you made adjustments to the headband?

Oct 18, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #888 of 3,591
Do you mind sharing how you made adjustments to the headband?
Nothing complicated...the mechanism consist of 2 plastic ends and between them a piece of elastic, remove 2 screws from one side of the metal piece that fix the headband, slide out the elastic part with their plastic parts out of headband, unravel the sewing of the elastic short it and sew again...you could let the excess elastic there ...I chose to cut it ...if you let it there the headband will slide harder over it. When putting the elastic inside headband be careful to insert it on his channel not under the padding sponge...you could use a piece of hard wire to catch the elastic and pull thru his headband channel.

Oct 18, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #889 of 3,591
So, I weakened and caved into purchasing the 109 Pros. 🤦‍♂️

Bought them 11 days ago actually and have burned them in heavily for more than 240 hours so...here is my updated impressions/mini review...

I won't go into build/comfort as I'm sure most of you are well aware of how godamn beautiful and comfortable this thing is so I'll get right into the juicy part...the sound.

Burning in the Meze's for over 240 hours has been an interesting experience. It sounded really good straight out of the box on day 1. Yes...at first the treble was slightly glarey and the bass quantity/quality certainly wasn't the last word in "Hi-Fi". I did listen periodically throughout the burn-in process to make a note of any changes. As expected....around the 100 hr mark...the treble tamed itself....the midrange gained more clarity and finesse...the bass subjectively appeared to dig deeper and became more articulate with more quantity as a bonus. Last but not least...the imaging.....dammit...the imaging really took on a new deep and detailed life form of it's own. This was especially suprising as when I first demoed these cans a month ago...it was nothing to write home about....was good/solid but nothing special, although my source chain/gear could have influenced things further.

Speaking of gear...I use a Windows 10 gaming PC into a Gustard stack - X18 DAC + U18 DDC + H16 Amp.

It would be completely easy for me to tell you straight off the bat that my Gustard stack + 109 Pros sound great and that they have great synergy together etc blah blah blah. While I do believe that my Mezes do sound great with my current gear...I do think it's easy for basically anyone to buy whatever gear they choose and to immediately declare it as an "amazing, wonderful combo", especially when one purchases their new gear and they may possibly feel the need to justify their new toy by telling the whole world about it on the internet...kinda like what I'm doing now maybe lol?!!(Dammit!)...I do feel that we should edge on the side of caution. Why you ask? Well...not everyone is fortunate enough to afford or listen to lots of high end gear so easily...that includes me. Following on from my previous first impressions of the 109 Pro I demoed at my local dealer...most of the same great qualities applies with it on my own gear, now that I have a pair at home but my point is (sorry for this rambling lol)...as great as this Meze sounds...I've not heard an Abyss 1266TC, Susvara, Elite, Verite, Focal Utopia, HD800S etc in a properly controlled environment with awesome matching gear so it's kinda naive for me to proclaim that my 109 Pro is "end game" lol...no matter how friggin good it sounds on my set-up 🤷‍♂️

Despite this...I do wanna share more observations on this Meze-merising (sorry 🤦‍♂️) headphone, especially compared to my old OG Focal Clear Pro:

The lower bass on the 109 Pro has this slightly unusual quality of hitting REAL HARD but only on certain songs when it's called for. You'd be forgiven for thinking that the overall bass quantity is quite "lean" but let me tell...this bass packs a serious punch when it needs to and it's sometimes on the same level as my OG Clear...if not more sometimes. The Clear has a lot of mid and lower bass...a hell of a lot actually but I think this was a deliberate design decision to mask it's lack of true sub-bass. It's understandable as it's open back....the 109 Pro shares similar traits however, it has MUCH less bass bloat which I think totally works in it's favour. Also regarding the bass...it is sometimes quite tactile. It's very tight and I'm not sure if it's faster or slower than my clear. The bass and sub-bass notes definitely sustains longer than the Clear...yet it feels at least every bit as fast as the Clear. The Focal has this really unusual trait where the mid bass/lower bass is fast as hell...but the sub-bass is actually a little slow. The only person I know who has noticed this trait on the Clear is online reviewer Koji from 'Convince Me Audio'. Sub-bass overall on the 109 Pro is solid. It won't break any records for quantity but the quality is really beautiful....especially now that I've put more than 240 hrs burn-in time on it. Oh btw, I use Equalizer APO and add in a 5 db sub-bass shelf around 40hz and that's all!

As mentioned...the midrange is sweet. Instruments sound realistic. Timbre sounds realistic though maybe a little thin on vocals sometimes.

Treble is the star of the show lol. Yes...because it's a neutral bright headphone, it won't do any favours for not so well recorded material but when you have good recordings...this headphone becomes something really special. I wouldn't pair these cans with colder, analytical amps/DACs. THX amps might amplify the treble too much with the risk of the 109 Pros sounding harsh/shrill. My Gustard H16 is mostly neutral though it has a hint of warmth....which is fine for my treble sensitive ears 🤷‍♂️

Soundstage is interesting. The 109 Pros stage width is actually roughly the same as the Clear...which...sounds a little disappointing right? Most people that know Focal are aware that they don't exactly have the widest head stages. What the Meze has though is a bloody deep stage. My goodness...that and the imaging can provide you with otherworldly results sometimes....it's really stunning. I must give the disclaimer again that my X18 DAC and U18 DDC may contribute a lot to the imaging/soundstage.

I listen to MANY types of music but these are the genres that I felt really shined on the Meze: Classic rock, 80's trash, grunge, rock, pop, metal, r&b, reggaeton, hip hop, drum & bass, alternative rock, synthwave, indie, new wave etc. I mean...this headphone plays almost everything damn good lol

I'm just gonna say it...I think these 109 Pros overall are better than my OG Focal Clear. The Meze is probably not as good as the Clear technically, but for me...overall it's just...better. Much better tonality...at least as energetic as the Clears....better balanced and much more physically comfortable.

Because of the more extended treble on the 109 Pros...on certain songs, it sometimes gives the impression that it is actually more dynamic than the Clears. Whether it actually is or not, technically....I don't know.....but what I do know is that the Meze gives me the same chills as my Clears, if not more on particular tracks.

I've also gotta say...when I was A/Bing my 109 Pro vs Clear recently, as volume matched as possible....the Clears actually sounded slightly veiled. Especially with percussive instruments and it's lower treble. Was quite eye opening for me. The 109 Pro made the Clear sound very warm and a bit dark sounding.

This "review" ended up being not so "mini"....dammit (sorry).

To conclude...the Meze 109 Pro isn't a terrible headphone.

IMG_7592.JPG

IMG_7548.JPG

IMG_7538.JPG

IMG_7568.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #891 of 3,591

Bought them 11 days ago actually and have burned them in heavily for more than 240 hours so...here is my updated impressions/mini review...

I won't go into build/comfort as I'm sure most of you are well aware of how godamn beautiful and comfortable this thing is so I'll get right into the juicy part...the sound.

Burning in the Meze's for over 240 hours has been an interesting experience. It sounded really good straight out of the box on day 1. Yes...at first the treble was slightly glarey and the bass quantity/quality certainly wasn't the last word in "Hi-Fi". I did listen periodically throughout the burn-in process to make a note of any changes. As expected....around the 100 hr mark...the treble tamed itself....the midrange gained more clarity and finesse...the bass subjectively appeared to dig deeper and became more articulate with more quantity as a bonus. Last but not least...the imaging.....dammit...the imaging really took on a new deep and detailed life form of it's own. This was especially suprising as when I first demoed these cans a month ago...it was nothing to write home about....was good/solid but nothing special, although my source chain/gear could have influenced things further.

Speaking of gear...I use a Windows 10 gaming PC into a Gustard stack - X18 DAC + U18 DDC + H16 Amp.

It would be completely easy for me to tell you straight off the bat that my Gustard stack + 109 Pros sound great and that they have great synergy together etc blah blah blah. While I do believe that my Mezes do sound great with my current gear...I do think it's easy for basically anyone to buy whatever gear they choose and to immediately declare it as an "amazing, wonderful combo", especially when one purchases their new gear and they may possibly feel the need to justify their new toy by telling the whole world about it on the internet...kinda like what I'm doing now maybe lol?!!(Dammit!)...I do feel that we should edge on the side of caution. Why you ask? Well...not everyone is fortunate enough to afford or listen to lots of high end gear so easily...that includes me. Following on from my previous first impressions of the 109 Pro I demoed at my local dealer...most of the same great qualities applies with it on my own gear, now that I have a pair at home but my point is (sorry for this rambling lol)...as great as this Meze sounds...I've not heard an Abyss 1266TC, Susvara, Elite, Verite, Focal Utopia, HD800S etc in a properly controlled environment with awesome matching gear so it's kinda naive for me to proclaim that my 109 Pro is "end game" lol...no matter how friggin good it sounds on my set-up 🤷‍♂️

Despite this...I do wanna share more observations on this Meze-merising (sorry 🤦‍♂️) headphone, especially compared to my old OG Focal Clear Pro:

The lower bass on the 109 Pro has this slightly unusual quality of hitting REAL HARD but only on certain songs when it's called for. You'd be forgiven for thinking that the overall bass quantity is quite "lean" but let me tell...this bass packs a serious punch when it needs to and it's sometimes on the same level as my OG Clear...if not more sometimes. The Clear has a lot of mid and lower bass...a hell of a lot actually but I think this was a deliberate design decision to mask it's lack of true sub-bass. It's understandable as it's open back....the 109 Pro shares similar traits however, it has MUCH less bass bloat which I think totally works in it's favour. Also regarding the bass...it is sometimes quite tactile. It's very tight and I'm not sure if it's faster or slower than my clear. The bass and sub-bass notes definitely sustains longer than the Clear...yet it feels at least every bit as fast as the Clear. The Focal has this really unusual trait where the mid bass/lower bass is fast as hell...but the sub-bass is actually a little slow. The only person I know who has noticed this trait on the Clear is online reviewer Koji from 'Convince Me Audio'. Sub-bass overall on the 109 Pro is solid. It's won't break any records for quantity but the quality is really beautiful....especially now that I've put more than 240 hrs burn-in time on it. Oh btw, I use Equalizer APO and add in a 5 db sub-bass shelf around 40hz and that's all!

As mentioned...the midrange is sweet. Instruments sound realistic. Timbre sounds realistic though maybe a little thin on vocals sometimes.

Treble is the star of the show lol. Yes...because it's a neutral bright headphone, it won't do any favours for not so well recorded material but when you have good recordings...this headphone becomes something really special. I wouldn't pair these cans with colder, analytical amps/DACs. THX amps might amplify the treble too much with the risk of the 109 Pros sounding harsh/shrill. My Gustard H16 is mostly neutral though it has a hint of warmth....which is fine for my treble sensitive ears 🤷‍♂️

Soundstage is interesting. The 109 Pros stage width is actually roughly the same as the Clear...which...sounds a little disappointing right? Most people that know Focal are aware that they don't exactly have the widest head stages. What the Meze has though is a bloody deep stage. My goodness...that and the imaging can provide you with otherworldly results sometimes....it's really stunning. I must give the disclaimer again that my X18 DAC and U18 DDC may contribute a lot to the imaging/soundstage.

I listen to MANY types of music but these are the genres that I felt really shined on the Meze: Classic rock, 80's trash, grunge, rock, pop, metal, r&b, reggaeton, hip hop, drum & bass, alternative rock, synthwave, indie, new wave etc. I mean...this headphone plays almost everything damn good lol

I'm just gonna say it...I think these 109 Pros overall are better than my OG Focal Clear. The Meze is probably not as good as the Clear technically, but for me...overall it's just...better. Much better tonality...at least as energetic as the Clears....better balanced and much more physically comfortable.

Because of the more extended treble on the 109 Pros...on certain songs, it sometimes gives the impression that it is actually more dynamic than the Clears. Whether it actually is or not, technically....I don't know.....but what I do know is that the Meze gives me the same chills as my Clears, if not more on particular tracks.

I've also gotta say...when I was A/Bing my 109 Pro vs Clear recently, as volume matched as possible....the Clears actually sounded slightly veiled. Especially with percussive instruments and it's lower treble. Was quite eye opening for me. The 109 Pro made the Clear sound very warm and a bit dark sounding.

IMG_7592.JPG

IMG_7548.JPG

IMG_7538.JPG

IMG_7568.JPG
That comment about the 109 making the Clears sound very warm and a bit dark... I just don't know. To buy and try or not 🤔

Oct 18, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #892 of 3,591

The lower bass on the 109 Pro has this slightly unusual quality of hitting REAL HARD but only on certain songs when it's called for. You'd be forgiven for thinking that the overall bass quantity is quite "lean" but let me tell...this bass packs a serious punch when it needs to and it's sometimes on the same level as my OG Clear...if not more sometimes. The Clear has a lot of mid and lower bass...a hell of a lot actually but I think this was a deliberate design decision to mask it's lack of true sub-bass. It's understandable as it's open back....the 109 Pro shares similar traits however, it has MUCH less bass bloat which I think totally works in it's favour. Also regarding the bass...it is sometimes quite tactile. It's very tight and I'm not sure if it's faster or slower than my clear. The bass and sub-bass notes definitely sustains longer than the Clear...yet it feels at least every bit as fast as the Clear. The Focal has this really unusual trait where the mid bass/lower bass is fast as hell...but the sub-bass is actually a little slow. The only person I know who has noticed this trait on the Clear is online reviewer Koji from 'Convince Me Audio'. Sub-bass overall on the 109 Pro is solid. It's won't break any records for quantity but the quality is really beautiful....especially now that I've put more than 240 hrs burn-in time on it. Oh btw, I use Equalizer APO and add in a 5 db sub-bass shelf around 40hz and that's all!

IMG_7592.JPG

IMG_7548.JPG

IMG_7538.JPG

IMG_7568.JPG
It totally looks like you are having fun with this. 😁

Oct 18, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #893 of 3,591
It feels Meze are just silent achievers.

Oct 18, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #894 of 3,591
This is exactly how I feel. Infact I feel it's a tiny bit smaller then my Clears, but the Depth of stage is truely a unique thing to process. Unfortunately the stage has 0 verticality, very Infront or behind.

Oct 19, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #895 of 3,591
This is exactly how I feel. Infact I feel it's a tiny bit smaller then my Clears, but the Depth of stage is truely a unique thing to process. Unfortunately the stage has 0 verticality, very Infront or behind.
What if you stood on a crate when you listen?

Oct 19, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #896 of 3,591

IMG_7592.JPG

IMG_7548.JPG

IMG_7538.JPG

IMG_7568.JPG
I rate this review 5/7! :D
(If you don't know what this joke is about, it's an old meme about the movie Fight Club).

Always nice to read your write-up, the pictures in the end are the icing on the cake.

I'm actually really grateful as this makes my mind clear: I won't buy the 109 pro. My Arya SE already covers almost any of the features of this meze (probably beating it) and it looks like it's a pretty hard overlap.

I'll proceed to look for a warmer/ darker sounding hp.

Oct 19, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #898 of 3,591
I rate this review 5/7! :D
(If you don't know what this joke is about, it's an old meme about the movie Fight Club).

Always nice to read your write-up, the pictures in the end are the icing on the cake.

I'm actually really grateful as this makes my mind clear: I won't buy the 109 pro. My Arya SE already covers almost any of the features of this meze (probably beating it) and it looks like it's a pretty hard overlap.

I'll proceed to look for a warmer/ darker sounding hp.
:grin:
I secretly want/wanted an Arya Stealth...I just couldn't justify the price at this moment in time. I heard it briefly at Canjam London this year although it was a noisy environment. Despite the less than ideal setting...the Arya shocked me (in a good way) with it's bass presence and overall sound - paired with an EF400.

The Stealth is probably worth the asking price but I found the Meze 109 Pro to be just as good of a deal in terms of "value"...with the added bonus of it being nearly half the price lol

I'm pretty damn sure the Hifiman has better bass extension, speed and maybe texture than the 109 Pro...as well as it's world famous soundstage, heh

Oct 19, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #899 of 3,591
Funny that you mention that regarding verticality.. In front or behind, left or right is always what kept me intrigued. I was reading through reviews when I was looking for Lake People amp and one of the reviews wrote about the soundstage that you can hear above and below. It was the Violectric V560 or 580, I can't remember because the price is/was €3699 or higher. Since then, I stopped caring about that and stick to my current dac/amp.

Oct 19, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #900 of 3,591
:grin:
I secretly want/wanted an Arya Stealth...I just couldn't justify the price at this moment in time. I heard it briefly at Canjam London this year although it was a noisy environment. Despite the less than ideal setting...the Arya shocked me (in a good way) with it's bass presence and overall sound - paired with an EF400.

The Stealth is probably worth the asking price but I found the Meze 109 Pro to be just as good of a deal in terms of "value"...with the added bonus of it being nearly half the price lol

I'm pretty damn sure the Hifiman has better bass extension, speed and maybe texture than the 109 Pro...as well as it's world famous soundstage, heh
The Arya stealth is more or less considered universally a great value, at their asking price. At least on the technical side.

The 109 Pro, considering the fact that they measure similarity to the Edition XS may as well sound similar and have some common characteristics with the Arya.

To me, what really makes the Arya special is its ability to make you feel at the center of the stage, immersed in the music, without making you feel the music inside your head (as the Sundara does). And the bass delivery, it so deep and thumping, slams pretty hard with zero bloat and boominess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back