Meze Audio 109 Pro
Oct 4, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #736 of 3,470
I am looking at a used pair of Focal Clear vs. new Meze 109.

Anyone got both, or experienced both that can offer advice?

Thanks in advance
I'm going through the same process, as a used Clear is around the same price of the 109 Pro.

TBH I'm a bit scared about the pad beings unavailable to purchase in my country, so it's dekoni if the unit has worn-out pads, and the infamous breaking headband.

No offense, but it is NOT even close. I traded the Elegia's (with Stellia pads) away after getting some open box Radiance's. It is a completely different tier of headphones. The Radiance are the best closed backs that I have owned or heard. On an imaginary scale I would say it's a 10 vs a 6.
I had the Elegia for a brief time and I really didn't like it's tuning. The radiance seems pretty different judging from FR.

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #737 of 3,470
I'm going through the same process, as a used Clear is around the same price of the 109 Pro.

TBH I'm a bit scared about the pad beings unavailable to purchase in my country, so it's dekoni if the unit has worn-out pads, and the infamous breaking headband.

I had the Elegia for a brief time and I really didn't like it's tuning. The radiance seems pretty different judging from FR.
After auditioning a pair of Bentleys, I concluded that my Elegias with the Dekoni sheepskin pads (not fenestrated) sound very similar to the Bentlys.

I would like to try the Custom Stellia pads, but meanwhile I do most listening with the Fenestrated pads from Dekoni. Delightful :)

After experiencing the mid-forward, open Grado SR325, which really pleases me, I am now pondering the Meze 109 vs. a pair of Clears.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #738 of 3,470
Think I'm just going to save up and get the ZMF Atriums or the Empyreans instead.

Oct 4, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #739 of 3,470
It's not only objectively questionable, the deminishing returns will kick hard. What does a €799 not have a €4999 does have? Is it about 4 times better? Personally I would never pay for such high prices, even if I have the money. There should be a balance between price/performance ratio. A €799 headphone maybe has something a €4999 doesn't have and vice versa but the deminishing returns are unimaginable. The 109 is probably the best in terms of value, performance and design.

Reason why I settled for a <$500 headphones and forbid myself to buy something more expensive...

Been in the sound game for a long time and I know how it works... If something sounds good, you can have higher markup on that product.
For $4999, I can buy a Sony or JVC projector - ratio VS headphones is all over the place IMO.
I really don't understand what makes a $4999 headphones a $4999 headphones - it certainly is not the cost of material to build it VS let's say floorstanders.

As stated earlier, in this market, good sound usually has to cost a lot more however I've learned that what sounded good then, and still sounds good today and will sound good 10 years from now.

Kelvin

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #740 of 3,470
Yeah... it looks like I'm not buying this one.

I remember one interview with the Dr. Fang of Hifiman saying that dust covers are a big part of an headphone design.
An air can from a safe distance would handle that. I try to exfoliate before using any of me headphones.

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #742 of 3,470
I would never approach a driver diaphragm with a vacuum cleaner. That is not a good idea.
Pressurized air from a safe distance would do the trick.

Oct 5, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #745 of 3,470
Oct 5, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #746 of 3,470
I really don't understand what makes a $4999 headphones a $4999 headphones - it certainly is not the cost of material to build it VS let's say floorstanders.
Absolute valid point. My theory is that a $4999 headphone is better sounding that some other $4999 (or similar) headphone and therefore a better value and worth the cost.

Oct 5, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #747 of 3,470
Reason why I settled for a <$500 headphones and forbid myself to buy something more expensive...

Been in the sound game for a long time and I know how it works... If something sounds good, you can have higher markup on that product.
For $4999, I can buy a Sony or JVC projector - ratio VS headphones is all over the place IMO.

As stated earlier, in this market, good sound usually has to cost a lot more however I've learned that what sounded good then, and still sounds good today and will sound good 10 years from now.

Kelvin
Exactly! For for that crapton of money I can just buy a single 109 and keep the money for a LOT of nice stuff. Just one for single headphone that's €4999 is beyond insane. One can love a €4999 headphone and other will not love it but it is a fact that's still a lot of money.

Oct 5, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #748 of 3,470
Any more impressions 109 pro vs the Focal Clear or MG and HD800? only soundvise
Since I now only have the HD800s with me now, I can only provide really my ending conclusion which is the 109 Pro is the middle ground between the Clears and the HD800s in terms of Dynamics, Staging and Imaging. I think the 800s may have a bit more resolution than the other 2 but TBH I'd have to focus so hard.
The Clears have the best dynamics, but the sound is just right there on your ears.

The 109 Pro have some more space and better staging. Not quite as punchy but still great punchiness. Way more comfortable than the clears. Not quite Hd800s level comfort but gets the closest out of any other headphone I have tried. Also stellar build. Everything sounds great on it for the most part. It's also easy to drive.

The HD800s (which I've now kept) aren't as punchy but have complete open space and clarity. I would call it accurately spaced. The most comfortable. Accurate sounding. It's not going to make average things sound amazing or add any flavor without some EQ. A lot of people call it bass light but I do not agree. I don't think the FR accurately tell the bass sensation on the HD800s as the way the headphones interact with my ears are different from all others.

I still think the 109 pro are a killer deal

Oct 5, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #749 of 3,470
You mostly pay for research and development which takes a lot of time, a lot of experiments with designs and materials. Developing new diaphragms, experimenting with new technologies. It takes willing and talented engineers who need a salary, endless number of prototypes, building production lines, paying assembling staff and so on.
By buying a TOTL headphones from a company you like you also invest in them, so they can further improve the technology in the future, which gives you so much listening joy. It is a complex picture. You do not just pay for a piece of wood or metal and some wires who someone puts together in 30 minutes.

As I said earlier, you pay more and more for a smaller and smaller level of sonic improvement as the asking price increases. A headphone around $4000 won't sound '4 times better' than a headphone around $1000, but it will sound significantly better. What is significant? Well, that is a personal question that comes down to the individual. What sound do you like? What nuances in sound are your ears able to distinguish? What level of improvements are you willing to pay for? What is your budget?
Some people buy multi-thousand-dollar headphones as you buy socks.

Oct 5, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #750 of 3,470
You mostly pay for research and development which takes a lot of time, a lot of experiments with designs and materials.

You also pay a lot for marketing, brand name and the fact that relatively few TOTL headphones are sold. Looking at the numbers on the Drop website Sennheiser HD58x sold 80k units, Focal Elex sold 5k units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back