Meze Audio 109 Pro
Sep 22, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #511 of 3,466
We received the Meze 109 PRO headphone some time ago already, and we now can finally share our full review of it on Headfonia.com. An article by @Virtu Fortuna

The Meze 109 Pro is one heck of a headphone and for sure one of the best sub $1K headphones on the market. Find out how it performs and compares, now on Headfonia. It's a new Recommended Buy!

https://www.headfonia.com/meze-audio-109-pro-review/

Meze-Audio-109-Pro-13-overlay.png
You review would be much better valued with a Focal Clear / MG and Hifiman Arya and HD800S comparsion.

Sep 22, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #512 of 3,466
For me the Liric was soundwise the biggest disapointment in recent years. I have sold them very quickly. But the premium finish and comfort were top. As always by Meze
Interesting. I could say the same about the Stellias when I had them for a couple days before returning them (although they're still fantastic headphones and I was definitely being a bit harsh initially due to the all the stellar review). But tbf, I do think the Liric's benefit greatly from a bit of EQ'ing (similar to the LCD-5) to really maximize performance. But just my $.02.

Sep 22, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #513 of 3,466
Comfort really is 100%. The pads...blissful.
The only thing that competes with comfort on the 109 Pro are the Audioquest Nightowls/Nighthawks. I still think my Nightowls are a touch more comfortable, but not much.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #514 of 3,466
Live impressions:

Accoppiato con I pad in montone Dekoni, sono di gran lunga i migliori under 1000 chiusi. I 99 non hanno le doti tecniche dei 109, ma insieme formano un bel binomio.

In sum, ladies and gents - the hype is real: recommended!
Do the Dekoni pads sound better than the original 109 pads? Which Dekoni model exactly?
Thank you
Roberto

Sep 22, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #516 of 3,466
Do the Dekoni pads sound better than the original 109 pads? Which Dekoni model exactly?
Thank you
Roberto
You may want to experiment with "pad rolling" ...but so far I agree with Nostoi. I don't see any need to for now.

Dekoni pads can make a huge difference though. For example the Dekoni limited edition (or not so limited now thankfully) Stellia pads on the Elegias. Insane difference.

Anyone know which pads fit the 109 Pro anyway?

I would imagine more bass may be able to be had with a pad swap, but I also don't find it lacking for an open back. This is why I have closed back 😃

Sep 22, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #518 of 3,466
Soon $10k flagship will be standard price and all we with $500-$1000 headphones will be like clochards.

1663844809278.png
You are right, manufactures will keep jacking the prices up until people refuse to buy them. As long as there are folks that have to be the first on the block to own a super-duper high end set and post pictures of look what I got, prices will increase beyond the cost to do R&D, materials and a decent profit. There are $3000 headphones being made with $50 drivers, go figure. If consumers would stop buying for just one year the prices would fall dramatically !

Sep 22, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #520 of 3,466
Just so there is no misunderstanding I am not referring to the 109 Pro. I think it is looking to be a great headphone at a reasonable price for these times.

Sep 22, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #521 of 3,466
The thing that makes it even harder in the case of the Sundara is that people always keep forgetting that the Sundara was a €500 headphone when it was introduced in 2018 and only dropped down to $350 around april 2020. So when people say to me that the Sundara sounds like a €500 headphone I always reply "That's because it is a €500 headphone, or at least it used to be."

The prices of headphones generally drop over time so when someone is stating the [insert random headphone/IEM here] sounds like a €€€ headphone/IEM at only €€ it sounds impressive but when you look up the original msrp to compare it, lo and behold it was also €€€ when is was introduced a few years ago.
For instance I really like my HD660s but I'll always compare it at the original msrp of €500 and not at the current price of €390
I am not necessarily responding to your message alone, but to the whole price/worth/value debate.

What ultimately matters are personal preference. People will buy (and keep) the headphones they personally like the most. I have seen controversial opinions on pretty much every headphone. Literally each and every headphone is loved and hated (or simply ignored) by some. People who do not like a headphone because it doesn't match their personal sound preference will clearly value them lower. It is difficult to remain objective when a luxury item doesn't match your personal taste.

It is also true, that you pay more and more for a smaller and smaller improvement in sound as you spend £1000, £2000, £3000, £4000 or even more on one pair of headphones. It is also true, that those who can appreciate these improvements are happy to pay more and more for a smaller portion of improvement. Because almost always, there is an improvement.

Once I read somewhere, if you buy a flagship headphone, you do not just buy a headphone but invest in the company so they will be able to research & develop further. I kind of like that thinking.

My experience is that the second-hand market puts pretty realistic prices on headphones depending on their real current value.
Some RRPs are higher, some are lower and rarely spot on when it comes to the real value of a headphone. Companies look at the big picture based on sale quantities. To them RRP is just a relatively small value in a long and complicated equation.

It is known that I like Meze; the Elite is my favourite headphone to date, and I owned or tested or heard most flagships. Yet I can be critical to Meze too and I see what people do not like in their headphones/IEMs. Here is my personal take on Meze products I own, owned or extensively tested reflecting on their current RRP in late 2022:

Elite: RRP £3599. Second-hand around £2800. While some other flagships display higher technical proficiency in certain areas (Abyss 1266, Susvara, Solitaire P) I find the Elite detailed enough to be called TOTL and the most engaging, sweet sounding of everything I have heard to date. That is why I bought them in January 2022 (second-hand with 30hrs of usage) and still enjoying them.

Empyrean: RRP £2599 Second-hand around £1700. I loved the Empyrean in 2018 when it came out and owned it for two years. Then sold it and rebought it and sold again. I like the Empyrean and I think many critics did not hear it well and did not understand what its sound is about. There are better resolving, more detailed and cleaner headphones for the price. Both RRP and used. Yet, the Empyrean stands out even in 2022 as a warm, mid bass-strong, fun sounding headphone which offers a way more natural, lifelike and thick sound texture than any of their competition.

I must state here that I think the Elite is huge improvement on the Empyrean as in a more balanced tuning, details, enhanced technicalities and spaciousness/positioning.

Liric: RRP £1799 Second-hand around £1200. I tested the Liric for weeks. While I think it is a good headphone; I particularly liked its bass balance, the treble troubled me a bit (pun intended). Treble can sometimes be too bity, sharp. The rest is pretty spot on though for a closed back. As I said in my review, with the Liric you pay a good portion of the price for 'high-end' portability. I do not think there is another closed-back headphone that is as portable and as good sounding as the Liric is.
They are certainly not a £500 sounding headphone, but not £1800 either.

I wasn't particularly keen on the 99 or 99 Classics, so I will skip them here.

I am not really into IEMs but tested the Rai Penta and now I am in the process of testing the Advar. The Rai Penta for £949 in 2019 did not amaze me. As I recall they sounded smooth and polite, but nothing really stood out in their sound, not for the price at least.

The Advar (RRP £649) has been a very pleasant surprise so far. Certainly, more of a fun tuning and not reference line, but very good at that: fun but detailed and balanced enough for a slight V shape tuning. I would pick the Advar versus the Rai Penta any day.

So that is about prices and preferences from me tonight.

Edit: I realised I have to make my post relevant to the 109Pro thread, so here we go. I think the case with the 109 might be similar to the Advar when it comes to value/RRP. They are definitely worth the asking price, might even punch a few £/$100 higher. But still, the biggest factor when it comes to purchasing is personal preference which can't be ignored. I am quite keen on trying the 109 myself.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #522 of 3,466
My 2cents regarding the exposed drivers and concerns for hair pieces. I for one has covered all the earpads with Geekria earpads covers because:
- protecting them against hair and dead skin
- sweating like during warm days

I suffer from hairloss due to some nasty medicines, nothing to about that so I do protect them. And now it has happened too often some hair comes in my ear and I can hear that sh_t when moving my ear... Yeah no, screw that. Geekria earpads covers protects them all the way. Yes, it makes the headphones look a bit silly or different but let's be honest, you want to protect them like it's your baby. And besides, it's not like you take them to outside for a walk or at work or traveling etc. They stay at home.

Regarding the Liric. I wanted this so bad when it was released but I'm no longer really into to €1000 and up headphones. But it doesn't matter because from the reviews/impressions, it's not for me.

And lastly, I've been using the Meze's copper cable and it has made sound even more enjoyful. Punchy bass, it really kicks in when it's there. Definitely no bloated bass. At first I had kinda a buyers remorse after ordering the copper cable but I'll keep it. The sound is what I want/search. In the end, I'll keep 3 or 4 headphones as they're my most used and most favorite. The path of the audio is simply infinite and I'm happy I went there!

Sep 22, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #523 of 3,466
I just got mine set up. First impressions are very good. I can't talk to sound yet, but comfort is absolutely top notch. These surround my ears and the depth is great. No ear touching grills like on Focal headphones, or pretty much every headphone minus the HD800 series. I've gone through all ZMF headphones, Hifiman headphones, HD58X, 660s, DCA, and even the Elites. Ears touch the inside of the grills on those and get irritated. EDIT: Ok happens a little on the very edge. Not quite HD800s space.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #524 of 3,466
Would you say the 109 has a similar sound tuning to the Advar?
They have nearly identical perceived tuning. Both have a lower treble boost that may become fatiguing during longer listening sessions depending on your sensitivity to it.

Sep 22, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #525 of 3,466
I guess I am sensitive around that area. I bought them as something to through in my suitcase for extended trips abroad.

source is Hiby RS6 and Questyle M15.

I really enjoy something like the Atrium, just not something that would make any sense with a transportable amp.

just burning them in and playing with EQ a bit. I have the copper Meze cable

open for suggestions, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back