Meze Audio 109 Pro
Jun 24, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #2,446 of 3,591
Compared to meze silver plated cable (not the more expensive upgrade cable they offer, haven't heard that one), the stock cable suffers some image smearing between the mids and treble, and stereo width seems noticeably less wide. Maybe these two phenomena are the exact same thing, who knows. Certainly the stock cable is less bright than the silver

Haven't heard them balanced yet. Trying to get my 4.4mm cable repaired. BTW anyone here know how to solder and repair cables?

Jun 24, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #2,447 of 3,591
Synergies, these unknown, the Meze 109 with an excellent Invictus cable, and the timeless AR m2 player…. this essential combo is really a lot of stuff, the Meze confirms itself, to me, as a product with a very high price/performance…..listen to Caetano Veloso, A foreign sound, absolutely amazing!
Italian cables 😃

Jun 24, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #2,448 of 3,591
next week i am getting my hart audio cable for my mezes. i wasn't willing to spent 600 bucks for a upgrade cable. i don't belive in that myth that cables change the sound

Jun 25, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #2,450 of 3,591
next week i am getting my hart audio cable for my mezes. i wasn't willing to spent 600 bucks for a upgrade cable. i don't belive in that myth that cables change the sound
What did you need from the cable?
Different length? Connector?

Jun 25, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #2,453 of 3,591
mine will be unbalanced for me tought since my k5 pro ess dosen't have a balanced port. but with that cable i just can get a balanced amp when ever i want which is great
can you send me a picture of your mezes with the cable?

Jun 25, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #2,455 of 3,591
Still running the 109 Pro in, but initial impressions are – not only are they gorgeous, they are very musically engaging out of the box, good imaging, open and deep soundstage, bringing the best of Empy and Elite. I do dare say, I'm enjoying them more than Empy – *ducks incoming sharp objects* 🤭
Hi @Auricon, would you be willing to share your thoughts on the Elite vs. the 109s? I'm in the early stages of shopping around for an upgrade from my LCD2Cs, especially in the presence and clarity departments (I think). I got to try the Elites at Canjam today and loved them but didn't get a chance to try the 109s. Cheers

Jun 26, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #2,457 of 3,591
Hi @Auricon, would you be willing to share your thoughts on the Elite vs. the 109s? I'm in the early stages of shopping around for an upgrade from my LCD2Cs, especially in the presence and clarity departments (I think). I got to try the Elites at Canjam today and loved them but didn't get a chance to try the 109s. Cheers

@pabbey Greetings and here are my novice headphone impressions of how I hear Elite compared 109 Pro with my portable DAP + amp stack – HiBy RS8 (balanced, M gain, Turbo mode, A / AB amp, NOS) and Cayin N7 (LO / Pre, PCM to DSD512 and native DSD) + Cayin C9 (balanced, LO / Pre, H / L gain, SS / tube timbre, A / AB amp):

109 Pro
109 Pro is tuned a bit more fun and energetically engaging – V to W-shaped signature. I enjoy its colored mid-bass punch and sub-bass rumbled compared to the Empy. It's surprisingly technical for its price – great vivid and open soundstage and good imaging. I'm treble sensitive and find the boosted-upper treble not bright but provides good clarity, detail retrieval, and not fatiguing. I'm hoping Meze comes out with a hybrid like earpad for a tinge more warmth and softer treble for those who maybe do.

I adore the 109 Pro's luxurious industrial detailed design and build quality is exceptional for its price. The velour earpads are plush, comfortably soft and well ventilated. I did upgrade to the premium copper PCUHD cables with 4.4 balanced connection. When I need head bobbing, arse boogie inspiration during work, I'll switch to the 109 Pro.

What I enjoy most with my 109 Pro, compared to my LCD-2 '21, is not hearing the need to EQ right out of the box.

Elites
Most noticeable difference between the three Mezes (109 Pro, Empy) are Elite's technicalities, spatial depth and layering, transparency and balanced tonality. Its treble is nicely extended and clean without brightness or peakiness. Mid-range is articulate and full depending on music genre. Elite's bass is also well balanced with good speed, presence, punch and rumble and isn't overemphasized like Empy.

Elites are excellent for all genres and quality of music – whether excellent or poor recordings – it all sounds good. The two pads included with Elites, hybrid leather / alcantara and angled alcantara, provide two different signatures: larger sound staging, layered imaging and instrument separation with angled alcantara and balanced staging and sound with hybrids. When I need to focus on work, relaxing or critical listening, I'll switch to the Elites.

TL;DR Elite design and build, they're just f'ing gorgeous.

For my personal listening style, 109 Pro and Elites make for a great complimentary, musical pairing which share parallels to my two FiR Audio IEMs, Xenon 6 (Empy-like) and Radon 6 (Elite-like).

Hope this helps!

Jun 26, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #2,458 of 3,591
@pabbey Greetings and here are my novice headphone impressions of how I hear Elite compared 109 Pro with my portable DAP + amp stack – HiBy RS8 (balanced, M gain, Turbo mode, A / AB amp, NOS) and Cayin N7 (LO / Pre, PCM to DSD512 and native DSD) + Cayin C9 (balanced, LO / Pre, H / L gain, SS / tube timbre, A / AB amp):
Incredible helpful—thank you so much for the detailed response! I was already very keen on the Elites and this makes me more confident they're my next move. I think I'll pull the trigger on a used or open box pair as soon as I can find a good deal. I'm also considering getting a used/open box Ferrum OOR not long after to pair up with them. Thanks again!

Jun 26, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #2,459 of 3,591
it is iimpressing how close the 109 are to their main cans which coast like 6k. all i can say i love my 109 pro. and i really dont wanna know how a 6k can sound like

but what i am wondering, will the closed back design affect the soundstage? will it sound different? or did they something to prevend a too in your head sound?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #2,460 of 3,591
it is iimpressing how close the 109 are to their main cans which coast like 6k. all i can say i love my 109 pro. and i really dont wanna know how a 6k can sound like
The most expensive Meze can costs 4000,- the 2nd 3000,-
Still a good chunk away from 6000,- and hopefully that will stay that way for a while.

However I agree that the 109 Pro is a crazy good value proposition and imo the best sub 1k headphone on the market

Users who are viewing this thread

Back