Meze 99 Classics vs. AKG K551
Oct 25, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #46 of 59
There are some good comparisons in here of the Meze Classic 99's with the AKG K551's. (I'm not so familiar with the 551's though, I have the 553 Pro's.)

So I have the K553 Pro's. I really really like them. But I think they could use a hair more low end. For reference, I had the AT M50x's, and I thought they had too much low end.

I also just got the Thinksound ON2's, and I think they are too bright. Also have the M40x's, and I can't figure out what I don't like about them, but I just don't like them. Maybe too V-shaped. Too much bass and treble vs the mids.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks. I no longer own either headphone at this point, but am open to people's opinions.

Yeah I'm NOT a fan of the M50x. Not at all. lol They're still to this day one of the worst headphones I ever auditioned (and returned back swiftly lol). I consider them VERY over-rated, both in sound and design. They have a soundstage the width of an orange. lol

Even the AKGs I'm not AS big on as I used to be.

It sounds like you might be looking for something better. What is your price range for closed-backs? I can suggest something for you based on my "running list" that I keep on Amazon. I can also offer you access to my custom EQs that I use as well, but more on that later. I feel custom EQ'ing makes a BIG difference.

Also, what is your source player? Phone? Phone + amp/DAC? DAP??? Please specify brand name, model, and any other info too.

And btw, AWESOME avatar! :L3000: lol

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #47 of 59
I wouldn't say "better", but I would say that I have a certain sound signature I'm looking for, that I haven't found yet in a closed back :wink: I figured that if I put down some other models that people had experience with, that might help with suggesting what the next model I might try would be.

Price range: up to $100 is easy, I got the Thinksounds based simply on the Massdrop and a few reviews I read. I went up to $150 for the K553's, because I have a lot of experience with open (and semi open) cans by them. Reputable brand.

But I think I paid upwards of $400 for the RS2i's I have. But I slowly worked my way up the model line with Grado (and Alessandro), to a model or two even higher than the RS2i, to settle on them.

So for the right headphone, money isn't an object, as long as I have confidence that what I'm going to buy is closer to what I'm looking for. If that helps!

I think I have gotten the description down to "a little more fun than neutral". So a slight V-shape, with balanced lows and highs.

And now I'm curious what you moved to after the Meze Classic 99's too!

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #48 of 59
Ok. All that sounds good!! Glad you've had a chance to try out other headphones.

In more recent months I'd opened up to the idea of trying out some more expensive headphones. Nothing too crazy, but I tried out the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 and also the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro (both are closed-backs). I honestly loved both, but there's just something "magical" about the DT 1770 Pro that I can't say I've ever experienced in ANY other pair of headphones before........whether by AKG, Sennheiser, Sony, B&W, Master & Dynamic, B&O, Oppo, Meze, Blue, etc. But part of what makes it so magical is that in the last year or so I've started to get into (with a little help from a couple Head-Fi friends) custom EQ'ing, which I've always kinda been into, but now it's more advanced as I'm using 10-Band EQs. About a year ago I came up with a custom EQ that SOMEHOW seems to sound amazing with like every headphone I've tried it on (with exception to the MJ2, which actually sounded better with the "Rock" EQ preset in Poweramp), which is like half a dozen at this point. When I applied my custom EQ to the DT 1770, it went from great to HOLY S*IT!!! lol Once that happened, I was done. Returned the MJ2 (which I'd STILL recommend to someone if portability was a major priority, even though I still travel with the 1770 too), and kept the 1770. I've had it for about 4 months now, and have ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS! And I was able to get it for like $150 off on Amazon (or $450), so that helped too. LOL (You can buy it off Amazon for $503 ((change seller to Amazon!)), which is still great.)

"A little more fun than neutral"? Funny, cuz that's EXACTLY how I described the 1770 to people when discussing it. It has that slight bit of "kick" to it in the bass and I guess treble too, but NO bass seeping into the mids and highs, ESP if you apply my EQ. The sound quality, clarity, wide soundstage, perfect instrument separation, etc etc.............it's ALL there in full prominence! I listen to a lot of rock (hard and soft) on it, and it NEVER disappoints! Most of my music is downsampled (to 256-512 kbps AAC) Hi-Res or CD-Quality, which helps even more to get the best sound possible.

The next step up would be the $800 MrSpeakers AEON Flow (closed-back version), the $1500 AKG K872 (closed-back version of the K812), the $1700 Sony MDR-Z1R, and the Sennheiser HD 820. I got to try the AEON and HD 820 at AXPONA (headphone convention that just HAPPENED to be 10 min away from me in Chicago suburbs back in April lol), and they were both amazing! Of course that was without EQ, but still. Not sure how high you wanna go there Kevin lol, but these are ALL straight off my list. I haven't auditioned any of the ones (AEON - HD 820) extensively though. Just going off reviews and ppl off Head-Fi who know MUCH more about and spend WAY more time on all this stuff than I do. lol

I also have ones on my list that go as low as $50, but with the right EQ, they can be made to sound truly amazing. But to me the best below $500-600 (aka DT 1770) would be the $179 Beyer DT 770, which is like the "little brother" of the 1770. But before buying anything, consult with me first to make sure you're getting the BEST version of it for you.

Ok back to the 1770..............some more vital info for you:

1) The cable: I feel the stock one is too long, so I found this 4' one off Amazon which I love that features the mini-XLR connector you need for the 1770. (optional)

2) The ear pads: I'm NO longer a fan of the velour ear pads (1770 comes with nice pleather ones and velour ones too) as I feel they suck the life out of bass and make the music sound weak. So either pleather or leather for me for life! lol And the hybrid sheepskin/velour ones I still don't care for either. So after some researching I found the Brainwavz and the more expensive Dekoni sheepskin leather ones. Got the Dekoni ones and tried them out. Compared to the stock pleather ones, they are definitely a noticeable improvement in terms of both comfort and sound quality. Just recently someone on here (you'll LOVE his username like I did lol) compared them to the Brainwavz ones, and he felt the Dekoni ones were clearly superior, aka worth EVERY penny. So while I will say they are optional, I will also state: "but HIGHLLYYY recommended"! lol When I put on the 1770s, b/c of the Dekoni pads and just how amazing the 1770s sound, I can honestly say this is the first time I've had headphones that I've literally had to "fight MYSELF" to take off. lol

3) The Custom EQ: See my link here. (Again, these can be applied to other headphones too, though results MAY vary.) The one labeled "Beyerdynamic DT 1770" is the MAIN one (so start with that one), and the other 4 versions are all the same except the bass levels vary. (Note that the pre-amp EQ band is also dipped down a bit too.) I find that being able to add or subtract some bass on an album or song vs. another album/song makes for perfect listening EVERY time. I tend to listen using Bass Xtra or Bass Xtra+ the most TBH. Bass Train is for listening on a noisy train (I travel into the city often via Metra train). This one has the bass WAY up there, b/c in a noisy environment I've discovered that the first thing to go is the bass. So when I apply this on the train, everything remains awesome.

And yes, "Bass Train" DOES sound like a really great song or band name. LOL!

4) Your setup: It goes without saying, but MAKE sure you are using a quality DAC and just as important a good strong quality amp. The 1770 is a 250-ohm headphone, which means as you may know that it takes some power to drive it vs. your more common lower impedance headphones (i.e. 16-50 ohms). They are made for the studio, which tends to have a lot of high-powered equipment in it, and so the higher impedance/resistance is sometimes put in reference/studio headphones like the 1770 as a safety measure really to avoid blowout, ear damage, etc. (Note: Impedance has NOTHING to do with sound quality.) So please let me know what amp/DAC or device you're using so I can make sure it's strong enough to power it properly. I can also suggest devices for that too if you like. I'm currently in the process of looking for something "semi-wireless" in the amp/DAC field myself. The good strong ones run like $300+. But if you're ok with a fully wired setup, I got a few to suggest that are MUCH cheaper and still great.

Ok. Take your time and let ALL that absorb lol, and then write me back. Make sure to answer all questions asked as well.

Hope this helps!! :L3000:

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #49 of 59
Ok. All that sounds good!! Glad you've had a chance to try out other headphones.

In more recent months I'd opened up to the idea of trying out some more expensive headphones. Nothing too crazy, but I tried out the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 and also the Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro (both are closed-backs). I honestly loved both, but there's just something "magical" about the DT 1770 Pro that I can't say I've ever experienced in ANY other pair of headphones before........whether by AKG, Sennheiser, Sony, B&W, Master & Dynamic, B&O, Oppo, Meze, Blue, etc. But part of what makes it so magical is that in the last year or so I've started to get into (with a little help from a couple Head-Fi friends) custom EQ'ing, which I've always kinda been into, but now it's more advanced as I'm using 10-Band EQs. About a year ago I came up with a custom EQ that SOMEHOW seems to sound amazing with like every headphone I've tried it on (with exception to the MJ2, which actually sounded better with the "Rock" EQ preset in Poweramp), which is like half a dozen at this point. When I applied my custom EQ to the DT 1770, it went from great to HOLY S*IT!!! lol Once that happened, I was done. Returned the MJ2 (which I'd STILL recommend to someone if portability was a major priority, even though I still travel with the 1770 too), and kept the 1770. I've had it for about 4 months now, and have ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS! And I was able to get it for like $150 off on Amazon (or $450), so that helped too. LOL (You can buy it off Amazon for $503 ((change seller to Amazon!)), which is still great.)

"A little more fun than neutral"? Funny, cuz that's EXACTLY how I described the 1770 to people when discussing it. It has that slight bit of "kick" to it in the bass and I guess treble too, but NO bass seeping into the mids and highs, ESP if you apply my EQ. The sound quality, clarity, wide soundstage, perfect instrument separation, etc etc.............it's ALL there in full prominence! I listen to a lot of rock (hard and soft) on it, and it NEVER disappoints! Most of my music is downsampled (to 256-512 kbps AAC) Hi-Res or CD-Quality, which helps even more to get the best sound possible.

The next step up would be the $800 MrSpeakers AEON Flow (closed-back version), the $1500 AKG K872 (closed-back version of the K812), the $1700 Sony MDR-Z1R, and the Sennheiser HD 820. I got to try the AEON and HD 820 at AXPONA (headphone convention that just HAPPENED to be 10 min away from me in Chicago suburbs back in April lol), and they were both amazing! Of course that was without EQ, but still. Not sure how high you wanna go there Kevin lol, but these are ALL straight off my list. I haven't auditioned any of the ones (AEON - HD 820) extensively though. Just going off reviews and ppl off Head-Fi who know MUCH more about and spend WAY more time on all this stuff than I do. lol

I also have ones on my list that go as low as $50, but with the right EQ, they can be made to sound truly amazing. But to me the best below $500-600 (aka DT 1770) would be the $179 Beyer DT 770, which is like the "little brother" of the 1770. But before buying anything, consult with me first to make sure you're getting the BEST version of it for you.

1) The cable: I feel the stock one is too long, so I found this 4' one off Amazon which I love that features the mini-XLR connector you need for the 1770. (optional)

2) The ear pads: I'm NO longer a fan of the velour ear pads (1770 comes with nice pleather ones and velour ones too) as I feel they suck the life out of bass and make the music sound weak. So either pleather or leather for me for life! lol And the hybrid sheepskin/velour ones I still don't care for either. So after some researching I found the Brainwavz and the more expensive Dekoni sheepskin leather ones. Got the Dekoni ones and tried them out. Compared to the stock pleather ones, they are definitely a noticeable improvement in terms of both comfort and sound quality. Just recently someone on here (you'll LOVE his username like I did lol) compared them to the Brainwavz ones, and he felt the Dekoni ones were clearly superior, aka worth EVERY penny. So while I will say they are optional, I will also state: "but HIGHLLYYY recommended"! lol When I put on the 1770s, b/c of the Dekoni pads and just how amazing the 1770s sound, I can honestly say this is the first time I've had headphones that I've literally had to "fight MYSELF" to take off. lol

3) The Custom EQ: See my link here. (Again, these can be applied to other headphones too, though results MAY vary.) The one labeled "Beyerdynamic DT 1770" is the MAIN one (so start with that one), and the other 4 versions are all the same except the bass levels vary. (Note that the pre-amp EQ band is also dipped down a bit too.) I find that being able to add or subtract some bass on an album or song vs. another album/song makes for perfect listening EVERY time. I tend to listen using Bass Xtra or Bass Xtra+ the most TBH. Bass Train is for listening on a noisy train (I travel into the city often via Metra train). This one has the bass WAY up there, b/c in a noisy environment I've discovered that the first thing to go is the bass. So when I apply this on the train, everything remains awesome.

4) Your setup: It goes without saying, but MAKE sure you are using a quality DAC and just as important a good strong quality amp. The 1770 is a 250-ohm headphone, which means as you may know that it takes some power to drive it vs. your more common lower impedance headphones (i.e. 16-50 ohms). They are made for the studio, which tends to have a lot of high-powered equipment in it, and so the higher impedance/resistance is sometimes put in reference/studio headphones like the 1770 as a safety measure really to avoid blowout, ear damage, etc. (Note: Impedance has NOTHING to do with sound quality.) So please let me know what amp/DAC or device you're using so I can make sure it's strong enough to power it properly. I can also suggest devices for that too if you like. I'm currently in the process of looking for something "semi-wireless" in the amp/DAC field myself. The good strong ones run like $300+. But if you're ok with a fully wired setup, I got a few to suggest that are MUCH cheaper and still great.

Ok. Take your time and let ALL that absorb lol, and then write me back. Make sure to answer all questions asked as well.

@RockStar2005 speaking of earpads have you ever tried the Vesper Audio? They custom build them out of any material and size/shape desired.
https://vesperaudio.com/earpads
Thinking about some myself.

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #50 of 59
@RockStar2005 speaking of earpads have you ever tried the Vesper Audio? They custom build them out of any material and size/shape desired.
https://vesperaudio.com/earpads
Thinking about some myself.

Hey barondla.............I did see them actually in the MJ2 thread we both subscribe to! Though I didn't look too closely into them until now.

Nice! Yeah you should perhaps! If you do, let me know how they are in here or just PM me.

Seems like they make a great pair of CUSTOM ear pads too! I will bookmark them for future reference. I'm VERY happy with my Dekonis, so I'm not looking to replace them. But this may come in handy down the line.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #51 of 59

Ahhh, good stuff there. I suppose out of what you write, the DT 770 could be a possible good next choice. One question though: are they similar at all to the DT 880's? I have a pair of those, and while at first I really liked them, and the lows and mids are fine, the highs become a little strong after a while. Comfy headphones though.

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #52 of 59
Ahhh, good stuff there. I suppose out of what you write, the DT 770 could be a possible good next choice. One question though: are they similar at all to the DT 880's? I have a pair of those, and while at first I really liked them, and the lows and mids are fine, the highs become a little strong after a while. Comfy headphones though.

Thanks! And YW!! lol

I was originally gonna suggest the DT 770, but you said money isn't an object, so lol.....................

I've never tried them, but a friend of mine on here who has claims they are VERY close to the DT 1770 in terms of sound quality. Even the EQ'ing is very similar too, so I'd even suggest using the custom EQs (which I've dubbed the "Magic EQs" lol) I linked you on them as well if you buy them. Basically EVERYTHING I suggested you buy for the DT 1770 applies to the 770 too, except the cable. The cable on the DT 770 is fixed/attached, where the 1770's is detachable.

I think he mentioned to me that he didn't like the DT 880s either, and that these were definitely better than those. So I wouldn't worry about it. I believe the same goes for the 990s.

Again, EQ'ing most certainly upgraded the sound of my DT 1770, so you should be just fine if you choose to do that. All my EQs are based on Poweramp, so you would just copy them then save them as is. Poweramp is cool in that it lets you save your settings AND custom EQs so that you can transfer them to your next phone, a friend's phone, etc. PM me if you like and I can explain that.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #53 of 59

Oh, almost forgot.............I suggest buying the 32-ohm version of the DT 770 as it's the EASIEST to drive (vs. the 80 and 250 ohm versions). You can stick with the pleather pads it comes with (avoid velour), or of course upgrade to the Dekoni pads, which are pretty easy to put on. They just wrap around the inner ear cup vs. the stock ones which you have to put through the little "slit" and then guide through around.

What device are you playing on? Didn't hear back on that yet. Please be specific.

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #54 of 59
^^^ Cool, I'll look at the DT 770's more intently then, thanks!

I'm using work laptop through a AMB/MrX y2 (DAC) + a CKKIII (amp).

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #56 of 59
Meze is an audio company based in Romania which basically came out of nowhere and has taken the headphone world by storm! AKG is a true legend in the headphone industry as well, producing some of the greatest (and still greatest) headphones ever, like the AKG K550 (which sounds like 99% the same as the K551), the K702, the K812, and it's closed-back sibling, the K872. The AKG K550 was the first headphone I truly ever cared about, and it was the prime reason (aside from great interest I had in Hi-Res music) why I got so into Hi-Fi audio, and signed up for this website as well! Time and time again, I've seen the K55X series wipe the floor with headphones that cost DOUBLE TO TRIPLE its cost (which these days is roughly $130-$180), even highly-rated ones such as the $399 Oppo PM-3. And we're talking SEVERAL headphones up to the $400 mark.

The only headphones that ever outdid it in my opinion was the 2nd Generation Bang & Olufsen (B&O Beoplay) H6s. The 2nd Gen H6 offered more detail than the K55X series (though it probably couldn't compete with the K702, and most certainly not the K812 or K872, which both cost $1000-$1500), and was more portable. The H6s should've lasted with me a lot longer than 2 months, but their downfall was comfort, or in their case, the lack of. The H6s featured a ribbed headband which would always poke into my skull, and although they were called over-ear headphones, to me, they hardly qualified for such a distinction. The tiny earpads BARELY fit over my ears, and so after a couple months, I'd had it, and sold them off. A friend of mine who happened to buy them based on my recommendation felt the same way about his, and he did not keep his H6s either. So after trying out another pair of "cans", I went back to AKG once again, but with the K551s. And that was that................until a friend of mine on here (akg fanboy) suggested I try out the (newer) Meze 99 Classics (Silver Walnut version). And so I did, using my trusty HTC 10 with its superior sound quality, and my ever-growing catalog of Hi-Res and CD-Quality music (mostly rock, both hard and soft) as tools for this comparison.

Price: The Meze 99 Classics cost $309, and the AKG K551 runs about $160 (both per Amazon U.S.).

Looks: The 99s came in and I was quite impressed by them right away. They are as striking in their looks as they are in their sound! Here Meze has created a masterpiece of sorts: a pair of headphones with style, premium design, and more! Everything about these headphones (and their accessories) is nothing short of luxurious! They come in a really nice box which opens up magnetically, and features the 99s, various OFC (Oxygen-Free Copper) balanced cables (about 4' and 10' long, with the 4' foot one including an in-line remote), a custom soft case for the cables, an airplane adapter, a 6.3mm adapter, and a SWEET hard case for the 99s itself, all for only $309! (Even the scent of the inside of the box itself smells expensive!) The 99s' design features NO glue or plastic. Everything is neatly held together using screws. The ear pads are made of synthetic leather and memory foam, and the ear cups are made from stained walnut wood. I've read that wood has better acoustic properties than plastic or metal do, so this was a plus! I'd also read somewhere else that the staining process the 99s undergo takes about 18 months to complete as well! I've been interested in headphones with wooden ear cups for some time now, but haven't found any that were highly-rated. Aesthetically-speaking, it doesn't get much better than this! The 99s have won both sound AND design awards, which it most certainly deserves. The Meze logo itself closely resembles a trident, which is the same logo used by Italian-car maker Maserati, which happens to be my all-time FAVORITE car maker too! So maybe it was fate? Who knows? lol

The K551s come in a very nice box as well, which kind of resembles a TV or a stage, which I've always thought deserved high marks for its unique presentation style. It features a (fixed) 4' cable with an in-line remote, and a 6.3mm adapter. The K551s have some plastic on them, but also have a great deal of metal too. They also exude a premium look (Black/Silver model), and are quite nice to look at, though I slightly prefer the look of the K550 and K550 MK II. The ear pads are also made from synthetic leather and memory foam, and the ear cups appear to be metal and plastic. (see pics below)

Comfort: I found BOTH headphones to be quite comfortable. They both fit on great with no noticeable clamping. The 99s win here though because of their design. While the K551s force you to adjust to its headband, the 99s come with an adjustable SMOOTH headband, which adjusts to YOUR head, making it a better fit. But it doesn't end there. While the K551s feature rounded (and large) ear pads, the 99s come with OVAL-shaped ear pads, which really make a lot more sense because human ears are not round, they're essentially oval in shape! So not surprisingly, these fit onto my ears better too. Now this is where the H6s failed, and the 99s ALMOST suffered the same fate as well. Initially, the ear pads were on the small side, and as a result, several customers complained to Meze about this issue. So apparently several months ago, Meze made yet another very WISE decision to LISTEN to their customers and enlarge the ear pads up to about a medium or medium-to-large size. I have absolutely NO doubt that had Meze not taken this action that I wouldn't have been as happy about the 99s as I am today!

The oval shape of these ear pads also have other advantages. One of which has to do with volume and potential hearing loss. Rounded ear pads let more of the sound leak out, which in turn forces the listener to raise the volume up, which can put the listener at increased risk for (unnecessary) hearing damage. But oval-shaped ear pads isolate sound better, and therefore less sound is likely to leak out, and the urge to raise the volume up higher vanishes immediately! This is a wonderful idea, and just one of many wise decisions the 99s' creator, Antonio Meze (pronounced "Mez-zahh"), made while putting the 99s together. But why the 99s are so phenomenal only BEGINS here........................................

Bass: I came to realize how much I really loved a neutral sound signature because of AKG. Other headphones never quite sounded right to me really. Either too much of this or too little of that. The H6s even at times could sound too boomy. So I never thought I'd want anything but neutral, until the 99s came along! Although not as neutral as the K551s, the 99s feature a more "balanced" bass sound that digs even deeper than the K551s do, and so you get a stronger and better bass sound, and NO apparent leakage into the mids and treble regions either. This is KEY, because SO many of the other headphones I've reviewed failed when it came to this. The PM-3, the B&W P7, the Sony MDR-1A........either too much bass and/or the bass would tend to sometimes leak over into the mids & highs! The Blue Lola contained bass however with industrial strength, but fell short on the treble end when it came to detail. The 99s however get bass right at every turn!

The OTHER advantage to having oval-shaped ear pads makes its appearance here, where it is more appropriately placed. By offering better isolation as a result of the oval shape, I felt the bass even more closely than I did with the K551s. I really think ALL headphones should feature oval-shaped ear pads.

Mids & Highs: Both headphones are great here. It's hard to say that one was better than the other. With the right EQ, you get the best sound that each can offer.

Soundstage: The 99s prevail here as well, and this was NO small feat! One thing that AKG is known for being SUPERIOR at is offering a WIDE VAST soundstage with its closed-back headphones. I mean, they took that design to a whole new level, even being comparable with open-back headphones on this front! So when I was told the 99s had an even wider soundstage, I definitely felt some doubt. But that doubt disappeared within minutes of this comparison taking place! Thanks to the way the speaker drivers are angled, and some fantastic tuning as well, the 99s manage to outdo the K551s in soundstage, even with them having smaller speaker drivers than the K551s (40mm vs. 50mm) do. Truly amazing!!

Clarity: The overall clarity of both of these headphones is great, but once again the 99s prove victorious here as well. The 99s were odd in not one but two different ways, but these were "good" oddities: 1) Despite having the same impedance rating but a LOWER sensitivity rating than the K551s, the 99s were somehow LOUDER, though they shouldn't have been! I have no explanation for this, but perhaps someone reading this does and can offer it up in this thread?! 2) I heard details on the 99s that I never heard with ANY headphone I've ever auditioned!! In one particular case, I was playing a Hi-Res version of the Fleetwood Mac song "Second Hand News" (from the legendary Rumours album), and during the intro, I noticed what sounded like a background percussion echo of some sort right before the vocals kick in, which I swear I've never heard before! I then played that same part on my K551s, and the echo sound was COMPLETELY ABSENT, even at the same and even slightly higher volume! The 99s apparently don't let ANY details get passed it! lol

Misc: In addition to the sheer awesomeness of the 99s, Meze itself is a force to be reckoned with. The few times I had contacted Meze for answers to questions, they were more than willing to help out and tackle each one, and always within a day or two at most. And when I reached out to them to help me come up with a suitable custom EQ to really make the 99s shine (because out of the box I did not feel they compared with my K551s), they not only replied back, but they told me they were ALREADY working with someone on that. That person is George D., and he is also a Head-Fi'er! We worked together and also with akg fanboy's help & encouragement, I was able to take their advice and come up with a custom EQ on Poweramp (also see below) which REALLY makes the 99s shine!! The fact is, had I not been able to come up with such an EQ, the 99s wouldn't have done it for me personally. But fortunately, I did!

Conclusion: The Meze 99 Classics are quite an elegant pair of headphones. With these headphones I realized that even when you think you've heard it all, it's possible you haven't, so don't be afraid to be open-minded when it comes to audio products! And so now I have put my AKG K551s up for sale on eBay, and have officially decided to stick with Meze!

I feel strongly that if you're looking for great REFERENCE headphones for studio recording and editing, then the K55X series is your best bet (excluding the K553, which I DO NOT recommend). It offers a great NEUTRAL sound that will really help you get your ideas down w/o any "coloration" being added to the sound. But when it comes to listening for enjoyment, the 99s take the cake here!! They make everything I listen to sound more enjoyable and more LIVELY than ever before, so I have nothing but love for them! **I think perhaps that the 99s actually WOULD be a great choice for studio recording. Yes they are a bit colored, but they also reveal more detail than the K55X headphones do. So this is something to consider as well.**

Yes, the 99s cost around double the K551s, but for ONCE I'm getting a better headphone at practically every turn! The style, the design, the detachable (balanced) cables, the bass, the soundstage, and the details of the 99s make it a MUST BUY at $309. Having a nice-looking hard (vs. soft) case included only makes the 99s a more attractive purchase for anyone looking for fantastic audio quality and a premium look & design! Romania may not be on the "headphone audio map" the way Germany, Austria, and Denmark are yet, but in my opinion, Meze has FOREVER changed that by creating and introducing the world to the Meze 99 Classics! The 99s are INCREDIBLE headphones, and I think the world would be a better place if more people checked them out and gave them a listen as well!

Note: For anyone interested, here is my (main) custom Poweramp 10-Band EQ for the Meze 99 Classics (see below). I trust it will bring you the same Hi-Fi quality ROBUST sound that it did me! (Now, I may be tweaking it again soon, but if I do, I will make a note of it here. And please let me know if ANY of these pics don't display properly for you.)

**Update: I have added a "Bass Xtra" version and a "Bass Light" version as well. You can find them below the main one.**

**Second Update: I just tried out the Brainwavz non-angled sheepskin leather ear pads on the 99 Cs, and I must say, they provide an OUTSTANDING upgrade to not only the sound quality of the 99 Cs (including an extra widened soundstage!), but also to the comfort level of the ear pads as well! They are not cheap ($40 at present time), but IMO they worth EVERY penny! They are pretty easy to put on the 99 Cs too, which was nice. I was able to do both sides in about 2-3 minutes. (NOTE: DISABLE "TONE" ON THE EQ SCREEN. YOU DON'T NEED IT.)

When I listened to tracks like my Hybrid SACD version of Clapton's original "Layla" and Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" (Hi-Res version) with the newly widened soundstage, I heard an extra guitar "fill/part" within the intro of the "Layla" before the vocals kick in that I'd never really noticed in the past. On "Immigrant Song", before each verse, Page plays these distorted DELAYED guitar chords that sound awesome, but now, I can REALLY hear the full "breath" and every little nuance of the delay pedal, where before it sounded a bit muffled and not as clear. So RUN out today and get these pads if you want to hear the 99 Cs at their BEST! In addition, below the EQs I have listed for the stock pads, I have now included the SAME EQs but for the Brainwavz pads. I did have to make a change on the treble side (last 3 EQ bands) & Pre-Amp band to resolve the extra bit of sibilance I was getting on the new Brainwavz pads, but it appears to be under control now!**

Main EQ (Stock Pads):

1.jpg

2.jpg

Bass Xtra version (Stock Pads):

1.jpg

2.jpg

Bass Light version (Stock Pads):

3.jpg

4.jpg

Brainwavz Pads EQs:

Main B/W EQ:

Capture+_2017-10-22-01-07-20.png

B/W "Bass Xtra":

Capture+_2017-10-22-01-10-54.png

B/W "Bass Light":

Capture+_2017-10-22-01-08-54.png

Meze 99 Classics:

image.jpg

99-classics-walnut-silver-lifestyle2.jpg

AKG K551:

71WEw-yypaL._SL1500_.jpg

remi-grabisch-00-cam-01-final.jpg
Serious thread revival here, but where are the gain figures for each of the 10 bands of EQ in your pictures? I don't use the same EQ as you, so I need the gain numbers.

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #57 of 59
Serious thread revival here, but where are the gain figures for each of the 10 bands of EQ in your pictures? I don't use the same EQ as you, so I need the gain numbers.

Thanks!

Hey pk4425,

Unfortunately, back then in 2017, Poweramp didn't display those numbers. It was only sometime in like the last 2 years that they did. Also, I no longer have that EQ saved on my Poweramp as I've long since sold off my Meze headphones a few years ago and now primarily use the AKG K702, which doesn't even need EQ'ing. So I couldn't tell you what the exact gain figures are now.

I would just try to position your EQ AS CLOSE to the EQ settings displayed in those pics as possible, and you should be fine.

I don't know why Poweramp took so long to let you display those figures, but I couldn't do much about that until they finally did.

Mar 7, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #58 of 59
Hey pk4425,

Unfortunately, back then in 2017, Poweramp didn't display those numbers. It was only sometime in like the last 2 years that they did. Also, I no longer have that EQ saved on my Poweramp as I've long since sold off my Meze headphones a few years ago and now primarily use the AKG K702, which doesn't even need EQ'ing. So I couldn't tell you what the exact gain figures are now.

I would just try to position your EQ AS CLOSE to the EQ settings displayed in those pics as possible, and you should be fine.

I don't know why Poweramp took so long to let you display those figures, but I couldn't do much about that until they finally did.
Thanks, dude. Appreciate the quick reply on a major thread resurrection! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back