Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #6,993 of 7,703
Thought I'd share a quick update:
I'm yet to get a hold of the "new small" pads from Meze, but have found that turning on the Late Night EQ on iPhone cuts the bass boom while leaving the rest of the FR relatively untouched. It sounds slightly more correct while still having an underlying bass bump that doesn't override the mids nearly as much. Upper mids are more apparent with the boominess cut down and bass has more slam.

Looking forward to getting the smaller pads, but on first impressions I'm pretty happy with this EQ solution.
Of all my headphones, this one has the most "holographically 3D" sound, where instruments have a real sense of depth between them (not just playing on a "flat field" just outside of the head).
Where is the "Late Night EQ" setting on iPhone?

Feb 27, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #6,994 of 7,703
Yes, your previous post was a bit confusing. I am aware of all the pad options. I'm still running the very 1st, original pads. But, they aren't going to last too much longer.
Yeah, the current "small" pads aren't an option for me, as my right ear already touches the grill with the "standard" pads that come on every new pair of 99 Classics.

Not too much pain, so I'm dealing with it because I love the sound so much. But I would love to find a slightly deeper aftermarket pad that doesn't screw up the sound signature too much. A smidge less bass would be fine, but no other coloring from the pads.

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #6,996 of 7,703
Go to settings, Music > EQ > Late Night

I'm in the same position...ears becoming irritated after 30 mins or so due to my upper cartilege rubbing the driver. I don't want to take them back since the overly warm sound is growing on me so much, but it might become a reality if I can't get the comfort right.
Supposedly the smaller pads have a thicker driver screen? Might make enough of a difference but it would be a costly exercise in futility if not.
I don't want to padroll to infinity and beyond when there are other HPs with better comfort (albeit without the amazing build quality).
If you don't want to sacrifice some pad rolling until you find your comfort right, then you don't deserve them...

Just kidding :laughing:I remembered one guy recommending these for added comfort, they should be 2mm thicker than standard large pads, but they looked even more than that from the pictures.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqFOI6j

I don't own them so can't tell about the sound, happy with Yaxipads, but they're slightly shallower.

Feb 27, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #6,997 of 7,703
Go to settings, Music > EQ > Late Night

I'm in the same position...ears becoming irritated after 30 mins or so due to my upper cartilege rubbing the driver. I don't want to take them back since the overly warm sound is growing on me so much, but it might become a reality if I can't get the comfort right.
Supposedly the smaller pads have a thicker driver screen? Might make enough of a difference but it would be a costly exercise in futility if not.
I don't want to padroll to infinity and beyond when there are other HPs with better comfort (albeit without the amazing build quality).
Thanks for the tip on the Late Night EQ setting.

I'm finding that the 99 Classics are stretching a bit for me over time and getting more comfortable. Plus, these cans seem to be even more sensitive than many to placement on the head. I can get pretty decent comfort for around two hours now if I place the cup AND the headband in the sweet spot on my head.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #7,002 of 7,703
Tell me how you go with this! Really enjoying the sound this EQ creates. It cuts most of the boom but keeps pretty much everything else intact while retaining a great sense of bass punch.

Thanks again for this tip. But I didn't care for it. All Late Night did, to my ears, was reduce the overall volume and scoop out the mids. I found the Bass Reducer setting did a better job of taming the bass without numbing the mids.

Still, thanks. I had no idea about any of these EQ settings within the iPhone! Very helpful.

Mar 2, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #7,005 of 7,703
OK, I tried the velour pad (delivery time 2 weeks, so for AliExpress that's fast) with the silver plated balanced cable and the iBasso DX220Max (low gain). First impressions, they're comfortable but a bit warm. The sound, as Anastase described in post #6993 is much more balanced. No more too low thumb, no more a bit shrill highs. I was thinking about selling my Classics, but now they'll get another chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back