• Stock pads
  • Meze small pads
  • Yaxi stPad2
  • Brainwavz hybrid (oval)
  • Brainwavz sheepskin (oval)
  • Brainwavz micro suede (oval)
  • Brainwavz perforated (small oval)
  • Shure 1540 pads
For me, the Brainwavz micro suedes are best, and IMO not even close. Next best would be Meze small pads. Then maybe the 1540 pads, though bass with those is kinda silly. I see the Yaxi pad is pretty popular here, TBH I don’t care for it much.
I followed this advice and replaced my stock pads with the Micro suede oval. Really cleaned up the boomy bass. I was close to selling these headphones but definitely keeping them now.

Dec 31, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #6,722 of 7,700
Yeah I feel you, for the past week I’ve been looking at all the different pads you can replace onto the Meze to change the sound of it for better or for worse. I’ve seen so many different padding options and so many people say they love these pads and someone else would say no they don’t sound good they sound horrible on my ears. I know it’s all personal preference, and not being able to test it out on my own ears sucks big time since I’d be blind buying. I haven’t heard anybody talk about the Shure HPAEC1540 Replacement Alcantara pads for the meze 99 classics yet so I’m very interested on why you went with those and how they changed the sound signature for the better.

I recommend you just try them with the stock pads before you buy other pads. Give them a few days of playing so you get used to the sound and they break in a bit. Then you can read all the descriptions *relative* to the stock pads and see if you are happy with they way they are or which pads would work for your taste. In my case, I thought the bass was too much at first but after a while I got used to it and now when I go to other headphones they seem too "thin." Also, over time the pads will flatten a bit and I think the Meze's get into a very nice sweet spot. I've stuck with the stock pads and haven't felt the urge to EQ or change the pads. The 99 Classics are really great headphones and a great value.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #6,723 of 7,700
I’ve tried a bunch of pads.
  • Stock pads
  • Meze small pads
  • Yaxi stPad2
  • Brainwavz hybrid (oval)
  • Brainwavz sheepskin (oval)
  • Brainwavz micro suede (oval)
  • Brainwavz perforated (small oval)
  • Shure 1540 pads
For me, the Brainwavz micro suedes are best, and IMO not even close. Next best would be Meze small pads. Then maybe the 1540 pads, though bass with those is kinda silly. I see the Yaxi pad is pretty popular here, TBH I don’t care for it much.

Yaxi stPad2 pads were perfect for me. Comfortable, large oval pads, the alcantara side has to be in back.
They reduced, cleaned the boomy bass of the 2nd gen. standard pads but it remained still strong and authoritative.

The sound with these pads was quite perfect with my Sense V1 head amp. It gave a big boost to the soundstage.
Out of my xDuoo X2 DAP the soundstage was much more compressed and ruined the whole enjoyment for me.

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #6,724 of 7,700
I followed this advice and replaced my stock pads with the Micro suede oval. Really cleaned up the boomy bass. I was close to selling these headphones but definitely keeping them now.
Right on 🤙 I'm interested in more people trying out this pad, I think it's the winner on the 99C, and I think I've tried the most common recommendations.

Yaxi stPad2 pads were perfect for me. Comfortable, large oval pads, the alcantara side has to be in back.
They reduced, cleaned the boomy bass of the 2nd gen. standard pads but it remained still strong and authoritative.
Been a while since I did the pad comparison. I do recall the stPad2 reduced the bass bloom, but recall some other midrange hollowness taking its place. I think that pad didn't seal well on my head.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #6,725 of 7,700
Right on 🤙 I'm interested in more people trying out this pad, I think it's the winner on the 99C, and I think I've tried the most common recommendations.

I have already sold my Meze 99 Classics, so unfortunately cannot try it...
Brainwavz pads are on a reasonable price. If they affect the sound in a positive way then it is a good investment. :)

Jan 2, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #6,726 of 7,700
After reading a lot of reviews, I think I've settled on buying Brainwavz Microsuede pads for my Meze 99 Neos to reduce the bass bloat a bit while keeping it isolated still but more comfortable than pleather. But I notice they have a "cooling gel" Microsuede pad as well. Should I go for these or the regular Microsuede? And why or why not?

Jan 2, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #6,727 of 7,700
After reading a lot of reviews, I think I've settled on buying Brainwavz Microsuede pads for my Meze 99 Neos to reduce the bass bloat a bit while keeping it isolated still but more comfortable than pleather. But I notice they have a "cooling gel" Microsuede pad as well. Should I go for these or the regular Microsuede? And why or why not?
I've not tried the cooling gel model, not sure if it affects sound or not. I would guess it has minimal impact on sound and would more affect comfort.

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #6,728 of 7,700
What about earpads covers from Geekria? I use them for all of my headphones to protect them from having dust and hair and to prevent sweating when they have pleather earpads.

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #6,729 of 7,700
I've not tried the cooling gel model, not sure if it affects sound or not. I would guess it has minimal impact on sound and would more affect comfort.
hmm so i guess i can go ahead and buy them then? ive read reports online that the gel makes these 'darker' and warmer than the regular microsuede...

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #6,730 of 7,700
What about earpads covers from Geekria? I use them for all of my headphones to protect them from having dust and hair and to prevent sweating when they have pleather earpads.

yes but these are meant for when you aren't using them

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #6,731 of 7,700
so i think im just going to order both the regular micro-suede and the gel micro-suede oval pads from Brainwavz and try both out. If anything I can just give the pair that I like less to my brother to use on his Sennheiser Momentum 2.0's...

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #6,733 of 7,700
A set of these will be landing on my porch in a couple of days. I’m perusing the threads to find info on 4pin XLR cable for them. Any recommendation? I ordered some unknown (to me) XLR cable thru Amazon as well as the official Meze 2.5mm jack variant.

I plan to use the 99s on a forthcoming Schiit Magnius/Modius stack.

Jan 10, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #6,734 of 7,700
A set of these will be landing on my porch in a couple of days. I’m perusing the threads to find info on 4pin XLR cable for them. Any recommendation? I ordered some unknown (to me) XLR cable thru Amazon as well as the official Meze 2.5mm jack variant.

I plan to use the 99s on a forthcoming Schiit Magnius/Modius stack.
Which 4 pin XLR cable did you order? I doubt it will fit the headphone cups.

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #6,735 of 7,700
Which 4 pin XLR cable did you order? I doubt it will fit the headphone cups.
https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Balanced-Compatible-Headphones-Replacement/dp/B07JJLRQXV

I hope they fit. If not, back they go.

[update]- I just found out about Forza Audioworks. I may get something from them since they do include Meze 99 as an option.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=86

[update 2]- I received both the Meze 99 & NewFantasia XLR cable today. Cable fits absolutely fine to the cup connectors.

Have not listened to actual audio yet however a note on the NewFantasia: very microphonic sleeve which is a harder plastic/nylon feel. I look forward the FAWs when they come.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back