Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #6,706 of 7,703
I saw some other people on Z reviews demo of the meze 99 classics that recommend the 1540 sure pads for the Mezes and it helps with the bass a lot like you said less boomy more controlled he even said better highs. I made my decision and I’m going too purchase the Mezes with the 1540 pads. Thank you for all your help I appreciate it.
If I may (and if it's not too late) you could order the Meze first and see if you like the sound with the stock pads, if not, the 1540 are a great options. Also, it didn't bother me because my Meze never leave the house but be aware that the 1540 pads fits on top of the cup, here' a picture.

Attachments

• 20201228_151403.jpg
    20201228_151403.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Dec 28, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #6,707 of 7,703
If I may (and if it's not too late) you could order the Meze first and see if you like the sound with the stock pads, if not, the 1540 are a great options. Also, it didn't bother me because my Meze never leave the house but be aware that the 1540 pads fits on top of the cup, here' a picture.

So you put the 1540s ontop of the original pads? That’s what it looks like from the pic you sent me. If I’m wrong and you do take off the original pads and put on the 1540s is it hard or very easy. I didn’t order them yet so no worries.

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #6,709 of 7,703
So you put the 1540s ontop of the original pads? That’s what it looks like from the pic you sent me. If I’m wrong and you do take off the original pads and put on the 1540s is it hard or very easy. I didn’t order them yet so no worries.
You remove the original, really easy, and put on the 1540, even easier, especially when putting them like I did. The 1540 are little bigger then the stock pads.

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #6,710 of 7,703
I see them on Mezes website, how does the sound change for the better on these cables. I’m guess you have a lot of experience with them.
I bought the other balanced upgrade cable at half price ($48 and still on their website at this price). It has refined the sound, is excellent value and I prefer the colour. You can check out reviews of the cables on the Meze site.

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #6,712 of 7,703
I bought the other balanced upgrade cable at half price ($48 and still on their website at this price). It has refined the sound, is excellent value and I prefer the colour. You can check out reviews of the cables on the Meze site.

I see those now way way cheaper than the silver cable. Now I’m debating which cable I should get haha. Does it refine the sound significantly or it’s just a minor change?

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #6,713 of 7,703
I see those now way way cheaper than the silver cable. Now I’m debating which cable I should get haha. Does it refine the sound significantly or it’s just a minor change?
Well, I can't compare to the silver one but I went for the half price one after reading a couple of buyer reviews of it. For me it isn't a huge difference but definitely a decent refinement. I bought them to match up with the balanced output on my DAP and via my ibasso DC01 usb-c DAC. I'm happy with the cable and have saved 70 dollars.

Dec 28, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #6,714 of 7,703
I see them on Mezes website, how does the sound change for the better on these cables. I’m guess you have a lot of experience with them.

There are 2 upgrades. I'd say go for the more premium silver cable as it actually is worth it in this case, providing a noticeable boost even over the balanced SPC cable. What that cable does to the sound is it reduces the bass volume, but tightens up the punch and slam. There's still some cup resonance but the bass coming directly from the driver is far more controlled. Further up, the lower treble grit is reduced, and the upper treble is extended, providing an overall smoother, more refined top end. It's a mix of tuning and technical enhancements. You might still wanna pad roll after upgrading the cable, but you might be asking the pad swaps to do less heavy lifting than if you were still on the stock cable.

Fwiw, I have the Noir, which came with the smaller, less bassy pads. Those pads plus the premium cable means no more EQing the 99s. It also means that they scale with slightly better gear. They're still unmistakably the 99s, they just hit closer to that "audiophile fun" sound that I think they were aiming for. Just my 2 cents.

Dec 28, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #6,715 of 7,703
Oh my... That looks damn comfy!

And yeah, I can totally relate to that. None of my headphones will ever leave the house! Not one single human being is allowed to have their eyeballs looking at them!

Where are you from and where did you order them? I'm from EU. Are these silver upgrade cables?

Dec 28, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #6,716 of 7,703
Oh my... That looks damn comfy!

And yeah, I can totally relate to that. None of my headphones will ever leave the house! Not one single human being is allowed to have their eyeballs looking at them!

Where are you from and where did you order them? I'm from EU. Are these silver upgrade cables?

😁 oh yeah, they are quite comfy. I'm from NB, Canada. Bought mine from a small business in Montreal...and the cable is the Meze 2.5 mm Balanced cable from Meze but bought through Amazon Canada.

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #6,717 of 7,703
The 99c are my current grab and go cans. I had them on today while shopping for groceries and at the drug store.
Original FiiO X3 in the Nite Ize Clip Case Cargo.

Infected Mushroom Vicious Delicious album in FLAC.
99C & X3.jpg

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #6,718 of 7,703
1540 pads removed too much sub bass for my liking. They just sit in my closet collecting dust now lol.

Dec 29, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #6,720 of 7,703
1540 pads removed too much sub bass for my liking. They just sit in my closet collecting dust now lol.
This person proves it's simply a matter of tastes and preference for each individual lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back