Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #6,676 of 7,702
As someone who doesn't bother with my own cable making, I just sprung for the silver upgrade cable. The sound improvement in this case is worth the $120.
I have the cheaper upgrade cable and even that's fantastic

Dec 19, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #6,677 of 7,702
Hi i use 3.5mm single ended and no balanced cables as all my amps are single ended.

Are the upgrade cables sounding better in single ended and if so which cable and what difference does it make (i listen to vocal music)

d

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #6,678 of 7,702
Hi i use 3.5mm single ended and no balanced cables as all my amps are single ended.

Are the upgrade cables sounding better in single ended and if so which cable and what difference does it make (i listen to vocal music)

d

Yes, I run my 99s single-ended with the silver upgrade cable. There is a noticeable improvement in sound quality across the board, and the ceiling for how far up the 99s scale gets a boost over the stock configuration. Keep in mind the max power rating for the 99 series is really low so too much power, say from a balanced amp designed for high gain/current output, might cause damping issues with the driver. Despite superior technical performance from a balanced topology, too much power will cause the bass response in the 99s to quickly get out of control.

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #6,679 of 7,702
I recently bought a meze 99 neo and right away was impressed by the sound. However I'm noticing after using them a while that the fit is a bit... Loose? Or something. Like if I turn my head a bit the seal sometimes breaks or the sound shifts. Anyone notice this as well and have a fix?

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #6,680 of 7,702
Yes indeed. We're happy to let you all know that the Maple Silver version of the 99 Classics is yet again available.
Only limited quantities are available, so if you're thinking to give it as a Christmas present, now's the right time to place your order. :smiley:
2020-12-04-99-Classics-Maple1200x1200.jpg
How quickly do the white parts attract dust?

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #6,681 of 7,702
I've had the Yaxi pads for quite a while. The sound always seemed slightly to the left but thought it was just in my head, realized the other night that the outer seem is not mirrored between the pads. The inner is has two diff materials and now they are mirrored as should be and sound is how it should be. Small mistake in detail from my part and IMO in Yaxi's part.

Dec 26, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #6,682 of 7,702
Currently am planning to get the silver plated cable after I noticed a difference between the T5p cable and the Amiron Home cable.
Who would've thought I would hear differences who didn't believed this...

So far Meze store has only the 2.5mm in stock and I only use 6.3mm and 3.5mm because of my Fiio K5 Pro (6.3mm) and all my other devices have the 3.5mm.
I found one YT video which shows the 3.5mm adapter is included if you purchase the 2.5mm version. Pretty awesome so I can use it for my 3.5mm devices
but it means I would have to find a silver or rhodium plated 2.5mm to 6.3mm adapter... Are there such adapters?

@MezeTeam Please consider making silver plated 6.3mm upgrade cables.

Dec 27, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #6,683 of 7,702
Currently am planning to get the silver plated cable after I noticed a difference between the T5p cable and the Amiron Home cable.
Who would've thought I would hear differences who didn't believed this...

So far Meze store has only the 2.5mm in stock and I only use 6.3mm and 3.5mm because of my Fiio K5 Pro (6.3mm) and all my other devices have the 3.5mm.
I found one YT video which shows the 3.5mm adapter is included if you purchase the 2.5mm version. Pretty awesome so I can use it for my 3.5mm devices
but it means I would have to find a silver or rhodium plated 2.5mm to 6.3mm adapter... Are there such adapters?

@MezeTeam Please consider making silver plated 6.3mm upgrade cables.
I highly doubt you will hear any difference with a rhodium/silver plated adapter over your run of the mill gold plated version... :sweat_smile:

Dec 27, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #6,684 of 7,702
I highly doubt you will hear any difference with a rhodium/silver plated adapter over your run of the mill gold plated version... :sweat_smile:
But I'll hear difference if I use molten aluminum with glass fibers, right, RIGHT?!

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #6,685 of 7,702
Hello all I’m new here, I’m wondering if I should buy the meze 99 classics. I’m looking for a easy driving good pair of closed back headphones for my iPhone X to play music. I was wondering if I should buy these headphones and if they will work for me and if they still sound good even with the pad changes. I listen to a lot of of Rock, EDM, HipHop, Jazz.

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #6,686 of 7,702
Hello all I’m new here, I’m wondering if I should buy the meze 99 classics. I’m looking for a easy driving good pair of closed back headphones for my iPhone X to play music. I was wondering if I should buy these headphones and if they will work for me and if they still sound good even with the pad changes. I listen to a lot of of Rock, EDM, HipHop, Jazz.
The Meze 99C is a very easy driving headphone that doesn't need tremendous power :p Wether you should buy the Meze 99C or not is totally up to you.
IMO this headphone is great for most of the genres. However, I use my headphones for anything including Netflix, gaming, movies/series and YT.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #6,687 of 7,702
The Meze 99C is a very easy driving headphone that doesn't need tremendous power :p Wether you should buy the Meze 99C or not is totally up to you.
IMO this headphone is great for most of the genres. However, I use my headphones for anything including Netflix, gaming, movies/series and YT.

Do the Meze 99 classics still sound good with the padding changes? I heard a lot of people complained that they don’t sound as good as they used too. Believe me I would try them out in person but they don’t have any Mezes anywhere near me to test them out. So I’d have to do a blind buy.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #6,688 of 7,702
I had the same debate few months ago and I'm glad I went ahead and bought them. At first, I was really disappointed because I wasn't aware of how the new pads affected the sound (in a bad way) but thanks to this forum, I learned about different pad options. I went with the Shure HPAEC1540 Replacement Alcantara pads. I owned around 30 headphones in the last 5 years, kept some, sold the others and the Meze C are by far my favorite.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #6,689 of 7,702
Do the Meze 99 classics still sound good with the padding changes? I heard a lot of people complained that they don’t sound as good as they used too. Believe me I would try them out in person but they don’t have any Mezes anywhere near me to test them out. So I’d have to do a blind buy.
The issue with the stock pads has to do with the bloated bass. It's not really an issue but more like a preference. To me it sounds good with the stock pads and I like the boomy bass for explosions in games and movies and sometimes in music too.

There is so such thing as "they don't sound as good as they used to".

Fortunately Meze Audio is one of the very rare brand that let us order accessories to change sound. Truely appreciate that! If you want, you can go ahead and order the smaller pads.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #6,690 of 7,702
I had the same debate few months ago and I'm glad I went ahead and bought them. At first, I was really disappointed because I wasn't aware of how the new pads affected the sound (in a bad way) but thanks to this forum, I learned about different pad options. I went with the Shure HPAEC1540 Replacement Alcantara pads. I owned around 30 headphones in the last 5 years, kept some, sold the others and the Meze C are by far my favorite.

Yeah I feel you, for the past week I’ve been looking at all the different pads you can replace onto the Meze to change the sound of it for better or for worse. I’ve seen so many different padding options and so many people say they love these pads and someone else would say no they don’t sound good they sound horrible on my ears. I know it’s all personal preference, and not being able to test it out on my own ears sucks big time since I’d be blind buying. I haven’t heard anybody talk about the Shure HPAEC1540 Replacement Alcantara pads for the meze 99 classics yet so I’m very interested on why you went with those and how they changed the sound signature for the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back