Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #6,661 of 7,704
So, I've just replaced the 'standard' pads on my new 99 Classics with the Meze 'small' pads and it's significantly changed the presentation. The bass is definitely less boomy (but still BIG), the mids are slightly more forward and it feels like the treble might be just a little softer/smoother, though I'd have to swap pads back and forth to be sure about that. I've been looking for a frequency response comparison of standard vs small....with 'standard' meaning the pads that come supplied with the current generation 99 Classics and 'small' being the ones that Meze now offer themselves as alternatives....are there any out there? I can find graphs, but not ones directly comparing these specific pads? I'm interested to find out if the differences I'm hearing are evident in FR graphs.
Trust your ears

Dec 3, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #6,662 of 7,704
Trust your ears
Hi, thanks for replying. I do trust my ears and am in no doubt that changing the pads changed what I am hearing....but I'd still be interested to look at some FR graphs.

I definitely prefer the slightly less dominating and better defined bass, but at the same time wish the top end hadn't been reduced, as I found it just about right before. I don't think I'm going to be able to resist switching pads back and forth a little, to help decide which to keep in place. I must say that the factory-fitted pads do feel just a tad more comfortable and seem to fit easily, but snuggly around my ears. With the smaller ones I find myself making micro adjustments to the position of the headphones on my head to get them to fit/feel okay, rather than just being able to put them on. Maybe the factory-fitted pads combined with some EQ....though I was hoping to avoid EQ for a change!

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #6,663 of 7,704
Hi, thanks for replying. I do trust my ears and am in no doubt that changing the pads changed what I am hearing....but I'd still be interested to look at some FR graphs.

I definitely prefer the slightly less dominating and better defined bass, but at the same time wish the top end hadn't been reduced, as I found it just about right before. I don't think I'm going to be able to resist switching pads back and forth a little, to help decide which to keep in place. I must say that the factory-fitted pads do feel just a tad more comfortable and seem to fit easily, but snuggly around my ears. With the smaller ones I find myself making micro adjustments to the position of the headphones on my head to get them to fit/feel okay, rather than just being able to put them on. Maybe the factory-fitted pads combined with some EQ....though I was hoping to avoid EQ for a change!
I haven't ran across any graphs for both pads. I'd imagine that if they existed, someone would have posted them already. I'm still running the very 1st original pads that came with the 99s. They're starting to get tired, but I'll run them until they're dead. I agree, the original and small version pads don't work well for people with large ears. As for EQ, I suppose it's not entirely necessary, but a few small tweaks really make them sing. Completely worth it imo. I think a fair amount of people in this thread would agree.

Dec 3, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #6,664 of 7,704
I haven't ran across any graphs for both pads. I'd imagine that if they existed, someone would have posted them already. I'm still running the very 1st original pads that came with the 99s. They're starting to get tired, but I'll run them until they're dead. I agree, the original and small version pads don't work well for people with large ears. As for EQ, I suppose it's not entirely necessary, but a few small tweaks really make them sing. Completely worth it imo. I think a fair amount of people in this thread would agree.
Yeah, I know, I probably will do some EQ....I have with most of my other headphones. The only thing is I'm a perfectionist, so give me 12 or 15 sliders and a bunch of other settings and I'll spend an eternity obsessively tweaking rather than listening to my music!!

Dec 3, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #6,665 of 7,704

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-meze-99-noir-closed-back-headphones#imagecarousel

The Drop page for the 99 Noir has a graph comparing the new smaller pads (comes with the Noir and available for sale on Meze's website) with the new bigger pads (stock on the Classics). What the graph shows is more or less what I'm hearing. Less upper bass, more upper mids and lower treble. The silver upgrade cable refines that further so the bass is tighter, and the treble is smoother and less grainy.

Dec 3, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #6,666 of 7,704
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-meze-99-noir-closed-back-headphones#imagecarousel

The Drop page for the 99 Noir has a graph comparing the new smaller pads (comes with the Noir and available for sale on Meze's website) with the new bigger pads (stock on the Classics). What the graph shows is more or less what I'm hearing. Less upper bass, more upper mids and lower treble. The silver upgrade cable refines that further so the bass is tighter, and the treble is smoother and less grainy.
Thank you for the link and info....seems to match what I am hearing in respect to the bass and mids, though not the treble. I never really realised before just how much influence the pads can have on the sound.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #6,667 of 7,704
A simple thank you to each and everyone who contributed to this thread, I must have read every pages and the info that I've found was so helpful. Speaking of pads, after purchasing the 99 Classics, I ordered a set of Shure HPAEC1540 pads, what a difference, I now have the sound that I was looking and hoping for, I could have reach almost as good with EQ but I prefer to fix the sound at the source and not using EQ.

Fiio M11, Meze 99 Series 2.5 mm Balanced cable and Meze 99 Classics with Shure HPAEC1540 pads, I think this will be my setup for awhile.

Thanks again everyone.

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #6,668 of 7,704
Dec 10, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #6,669 of 7,704
Yes indeed. We're happy to let you all know that the Maple Silver version of the 99 Classics is yet again available.
Only limited quantities are available, so if you're thinking to give it as a Christmas present, now's the right time to place your order. :smiley:
2020-12-04-99-Classics-Maple1200x1200.jpg

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Dec 16, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #6,671 of 7,704
Hi all, i just got this beauty from Drop a few weeks ago and i love it.
But i have an XLR balanced silver cable which i want to use, could you please tell me where can i buy a connector which fits the headphone? Do i need mono or stereo jacks?
Meze sells it but i find ridiculous paying 30 EUR for a pair with shipping.
I checked the search function but there were no valuable hits and i gave up reading all the 400+ pages.

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #6,672 of 7,704
But i have an XLR balanced silver cable which i want to use, could you please tell me where can i buy a connector which fits the headphone? Do i need mono or stereo jacks?
I checked the search function but there were no valuable hits and i gave up reading all the 400+ pages.
Good luck....its a slim fit insertion, I believe that the Meze cables themselves are the best option.....unless you cut up the stock cable and use those connectors

Dec 17, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #6,674 of 7,704
There are some long TS & TRS plugs on AliExpress that would work but they don't look very good IMHO. I am also looking for a solution so I can get rid of that rubbery stock cable.

These might work, if not there are others.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001411837557.html
2Pcs-Long-Mini-3-5mm-Mono-Audio-Jack-3-5-2Pole-Male-Plug-for-DIY-Soldering.jpg

Dec 17, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #6,675 of 7,704
As someone who doesn't bother with my own cable making, I just sprung for the silver upgrade cable. The sound improvement in this case is worth the $120.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back