Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 10, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #5,731 of 7,702
I tried the Noirs in the V281 single output. It did not sound good. Sounded better out of my phone. Better synergy I guess.

I tried so many combinations, don't love them out of my desktop rig but think they sound great out of Dragonfly Red / Oppo HA-2 SE, or LG V35. The do much better with a DAC that leans toward bright, in my opinion. I also drop 4db off of the 125 band on phone's eq, that evens out the bass on most songs and makes this headphone one of the best bargains in our hobby (again, in my opinion). See this post if you care about the stuff I've tried so far.

As for the cable, I bought the $50 Meze balanced off of Amazon. It's 2.5, but you can buy a $20 adapter to 4 pin XLR. This one on Drop.com seems popular:

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-4-pin-xlr-to-2-5mm-trrs-adapter

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #5,735 of 7,702
Jun 11, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #5,736 of 7,702
Jun 12, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #5,738 of 7,702
I haven't noticed this yet as I've been listening to tight and fast music - - Kick drums still have that same punch. Where do you notice this most?
Songs that require sub bass rumble like Rap music/EDM. You get a deeper rumble in the bass than just a bass punch.

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #5,741 of 7,702
Sorry, I meant at which frequency do you notice this most?
I consider anything sub 80hz as subbass. Deep rumbling IMO is more so 40hz and lower. Haven't listened to them in a while, Ill throw them on tonight with a hz tone generator. There is just a lot more sub bass extension with shallower pads but what you like is all on in preference. I enjoyed the BWSS pads for many months before switching to the Shure 1540 Alcantara pads.

Jun 17, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #5,744 of 7,702
I consider anything sub 80hz as subbass. Deep rumbling IMO is more so 40hz and lower. Haven't listened to them in a while, Ill throw them on tonight with a hz tone generator. There is just a lot more sub bass extension with shallower pads but what you like is all on in preference. I enjoyed the BWSS pads for many months before switching to the Shure 1540 Alcantara pads.
I do notice a distinct lack of rumble compared to the other pads. I wouldn't classify this as a weakness however because you gain a bit of clarity and soundstage. For what it's worth, my ears have grown accustomed to the relatively flat signature of an Ety. :)

Jun 18, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #5,745 of 7,702
I'll be receiving the small earpads from Meze by tomorrow.

So far, although still in burn in period, the 99 Classics sound a bit muddy when paired with the A&K Kann using the balanced output, and what is more surprising, I kind of miss some bass.

Let's see how they do after a few more days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back