Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 8, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #5,716 of 7,701
How flexible these cables are compared to the stock one?
Which one do you own? The regular OCC or the SP-OCC?
They are less flexible than the original meze cable and the meze balanced cable (the cheapest option). For me is not a big problem but flexibility is not the biggest strength. The sound quality is very good though especially for the HD6XX - HD 58X and 4XX.

I am not aware about this option to be honest since I bought them some time ago but I would think regular OCC.

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #5,717 of 7,701
They are less flexible than the original meze cable and the meze balanced cable (the cheapest option). For me is not a big problem but flexibility is not the biggest strength. The sound quality is very good though especially for the HD6XX - HD 58X and 4XX.

I am not aware about this option to be honest since I bought them some time ago but I would think regular OCC.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
I ordered the SP-OCC in the end which,according to them, it is the most flexible.

Jun 9, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #5,718 of 7,701
In case anyone is interested, I'm using this cheap SE cable from Amazon on the Meze 99 Noir. I purchased it a long time ago for my Elear and wondered if it would fit the Meze, and it works like a champ. No audible difference from the stock cable, but I like it because it is about a foot shorter and it doesn't have the microphone on it.

https://www.amazon.com/NEOMUSICIA-Replacement-upgrade-AH-D600-Headphone/dp/B01LYS3MM8

Jun 9, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #5,719 of 7,701
Tried a new setup with the Meze Noir today, and it is now at the top of my leader board for sound quality....quite surprisingly. Plugged in my Oppo HA-2 SE and it sounds fantastic! Oppo is too bright on most of my headphones, which is why it's been gathering dust for a couple years. I've updated my ranking list in post #5697.

20190609_162110.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #5,720 of 7,701
Tried a new setup with the Meze Noir today, and it is now at the top of my leader board for sound quality....quite surprisingly. Plugged in my Oppo HA-2 SE and it sounds fantastic! Oppo is too bright on most of my headphones, which is why it's been gathering dust for a couple years. I've updated my ranking list in post #5697.

Ulalala, lots of cool hardware in there :ksc75smile:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 9, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #5,721 of 7,701
Jun 9, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #5,722 of 7,701
I hadn’t used my 99 Classics for awhile since I had bought a pair of Sennheiser PXC 550’s and found their clarity and soundstage and isolation with ANC far superior to the experience of using the Mezes out and about. After awhile any time I tried using the Mezes I found them more and more unappealing in sound, too, they seemed utterly muffled and very dark and veiled. I was considering selling them when I saw that Meze had finally released the new pads, the smaller revision 4 pads that come with the Noirs, and bought a pair for $20 to see if it improves their sound. The good news is that it does; they almost sound like completely different headphones, much more balanced mids with a much more appealing detail retrieval profile. They don’t sound like they’re playing through a blanket anymore. However, comfort takes a big, big hit. I don’t have big ears but after wearing these for a few hours at work the tops of my ears were kinda warm and chaffed feeling. So, I guess I’m going to sell them after all. It’s been a good run with the Classics but I think the drivers are just an interesting case where Meze couldn’t find a way to make pads that were both comfortable yet also provided optimum distance to the ear.

Jun 10, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #5,726 of 7,701
I can say without a doubt that the Vmoda M80s and Meze Noirs are siblings in that that they share a very similar sound signature. Mid and bass centric. Loving them both on my Hiby R3 which is the best player sonically that I own at the moment. Yes, I prefer the R3 even over the dual DACed Shanling M5s that doesn't do treble very well in my opinion as it lacks it a bit too much in comparison.

I also have the M80's newer brother, the XS but I don't like it as much since it has this weird sounding, piercing treble compared to the M80. The M80 is much smoother. Anyway, if you're looking for a pair of similar sounding headphones, try out the M80s. The sound is vocal-oriented, meaty, smooth and natural sounding, just like the Mezes.

If you're in market for a DAP to pair with the Meze on the other hand, then the R3 is definitely the way to go. Together with the balanced Mezes, it is a delightful combo. Probably the best I've personally heard so far.

Jun 10, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #5,727 of 7,701
Hi guys

I've recently spent some money and purchased the Astell & Kern Kann plus the Meze 99 Classics, pretty nice indeed, just below 1000 euros and dealer was kind of enough to add a Meze balanced cable, so how could I refuse?

I still haven't received the A&K but I've already the Classics, I'm running my Meizu MX5 Pro to drive them, sound is nicely warm, but it is clear they still need more juice to show its true colours.

So I'll wait patiently for the Kann, in the meantime, can you point me at which pads I shall get that make this nice kit sound even better.

Found some dealers at my country, but info on their side is confusing, so wanna be sure before pulling the trigger.

Jun 10, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #5,730 of 7,701
I have the attached rig which uses all balanced outputs. I recently picked up the Noir HP's and want to give them a go on the rig.

Does anyone no where to get an inexpensive balanced cable for them? XLR 4 pin.

I tried the Noirs in the V281 single output. It did not sound good. Sounded better out of my phone. Better synergy I guess.

175116.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back