Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #4,833 of 7,696
I tune the bass down a little and find that sounds much better and cleans up the low end bleed and improves the vocals.

Overall really like these cans though

Yep, they are quite amazing with a bit of EQ :)

I found them too warm, too dark, too thick for my tastes without EQ, too much "fun" factor, but with a bit of EQ, they get really good treble and overall balance!

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.nl/2017/04/meze-99-classics.html
Read this, it makes a very large difference (at least for my ears)

Thank you for sharing! :)

I'm happy to see my advice still helps people enjoy 99 Classics, they are still a favorite headphone of mine, and honestly, they have been used for 2 years now, and they're still going strong, really reliable as well :)

I do it with hardware eq on my es100...

Would this work for you?

https://tidal.com/us/about/captune

That is an excellent adice, thank you for sharing!

I will also start looking more into tidal and other streaming services, but knowing that there is a solution to tune it, at least on some platforms, is quite great!

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #4,834 of 7,696
Yep, they are quite amazing with a bit of EQ :)

I'm happy to see my advice still helps people enjoy 99 Classics, they are still a favorite headphone of mine, and honestly, they have been used for 2 years now, and they're still going strong, really reliable as well :)
RE: Your EQ settings. Since I use Neutron, I've made each filter a peaking filter w/ BW ratings of .01 for a narrow scope. Is this how you would transition that particular signature over to a parametric EQ?

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #4,835 of 7,696
RE: Your EQ settings. Since I use Neutron, I've made each filter a peaking filter w/ BW ratings of .01 for a narrow scope. Is this how you would transition that particular signature over to a parametric EQ?

The scope should be natural to wide, not narrow.

The idea is to increase everything above about 6kHz, with the most increase at ~16kHz, where they can eat a good 8 dB of increase, and to lower everything below 125 Hz. If you could add an increase just at the very sub-bass for the sound to get more punchy, that would be handy as well

Feb 1, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #4,836 of 7,696

The idea is to increase everything above about 6kHz, with the most increase at ~16kHz, where they can eat a good 8 dB of increase, and to lower everything below 125 Hz. If you could add an increase just at the very sub-bass for the sound to get more punchy, that would be handy as well
In what media player on PC you do your EQ in review? In wich player?
Thanks

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #4,837 of 7,696

Would you mind telling me what that looks like? I'm still learning may way around a parametric EQ.

Feb 1, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #4,838 of 7,696
In what media player on PC you do your EQ in review? In wich player?
Thanks

I tend to use either Hiby music, or with my PC, I was using the default app EQ of the laptop / PC I am using. For example, with my older Clevo P775DM3-G, this is what the EQ looked like...

9783445.png

Would you mind telling me what that looks like? I'm still learning may way around a parametric EQ.

Just use a graphic EQ and don't leave the Q too narrow, it should work just fine for 99C :)

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #4,839 of 7,696
I tend to use either Hiby music, or with my PC, I was using the default app EQ of the laptop / PC I am using. For example, with my older Clevo P775DM3-G, this is what the EQ looked like...

9783445.png

Just use a graphic EQ and don't leave the Q too narrow, it should work just fine for 99C :)
So for example, If I'm using the following:

low shelf @ 125 hz, -3db
peaking filter at 31 hz, +3 dB

Would the low shelf negate the peaking filter? And if I'm using high Q values, how would this affect the frequency respoinse? Really I'm trying to replicate what you've mentioned in your review. :)

Feb 2, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #4,840 of 7,696
So for example, If I'm using the following:

low shelf @ 125 hz, -3db
peaking filter at 31 hz, +3 dB

Would the low shelf negate the peaking filter? And if I'm using high Q values, how would this affect the frequency respoinse? Really I'm trying to replicate what you've mentioned in your review. :)

Don't use shelfs, only normals

Just use a Q of about 1 to 1.75 and do

31 + 3

125 -7

250 -3

8k +3

16k +8

This should do the trick

Feb 2, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #4,841 of 7,696
Don't use shelfs, only normals

Just use a Q of about 1 to 1.75 and do

31 + 3

125 -7

250 -3

8k +3

16k +8

This should do the trick

Thanks. I just couldn't visualize this with shelfs, since they change frequencies > or < the center frequency. The most problematic area for me is mid bass (too bloom-y sometimes).

On another note, using your setting of +8 @ 16khz, I was surprised to hear for myself just how well these things respond to EQ'ng. After using Ety HF's for over a year this is nice. :)

Feb 2, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #4,842 of 7,696
Thanks. I just couldn't visualize this with shelfs, since they change frequencies > or < the center frequency. The most problematic area for me is mid bass (too bloom-y sometimes).

On another note, using your setting of +8 @ 16khz, I was surprised to hear for myself just how well these things respond to EQ'ng. After using Ety HF's for over a year this is nice. :)

I'm happy to hear it worked out! :)

Yes, 99C responds really well to EQ. My feeling is that they get in phase when dialing more treble and less bass, especially taking out that mid bass.

Well, it is a great headphone, with amazingly good drivers that stand well to EQ, and with low distortion, it is hard not to love it, and especially if you take the time to tailor it to your tastes and EQ it, 99C is really really strong

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #4,843 of 7,696
Hi all! Have any of you paired the SR15 with the Meze 99 classic? I would be very interested in your opinion.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #4,845 of 7,696
Does anyone have experience with NewFantsia's 2.5mm balanced cable buyable from Amazon? I already own the $50 Meze balanced cable but do want more treble, so I'm wondering if buying NewFantasia's cable will help with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back