Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #2,476 of 7,696
George, have you listened to Crossfade II? These have new drivers that are better than any other V-Moda headphones so far. This is their TOTL wired with the added benefit of Bluetooth mode :) Clamping force is OK and you can always stretch the headband a bit to suit your taste. Just as comfortable as 99s in my view.

Jun 20, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #2,477 of 7,696
George, have you listened to Crossfade II? These have new drivers that are better than any other V-Moda headphones so far. This is their TOTL wired with the added benefit of Bluetooth mode :) Clamping force is OK and you can always stretch the headband a bit to suit your taste. Just as comfortable as 99s in my view.

Woah, good to know!

Never heard or seen them in person, but I am curious to.

My experience with 99 Classics: I was supposed to work a lot yesterday, but I placed Meze 99 Classics on my head and I didn't even noticed how an entire hour of listening passed... Went back to work when I noticed that, but man...

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #2,478 of 7,696
Just got the Brainwavz (sheepskin) pads. They change the sound of the 99 for sure (or is it placebo?). Less (mid) bass and/or more midrange, but not a in bad way. Sound is not harsh nor fatiguing. Soundstage seems bigger. Please take my .02$ with a grain of salt, I'm not an audiophile by any stretch. Also, it's quite difficult to A/B with stock (large) pads, as it takes some time (and patience) to put the Brainwavz on. They fit, but have much wider "lips". Comfort is better than with stock pads, as the Brainwavz touch head, not ears.

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #2,479 of 7,696
I found my old Galaxy S that I mooded years ago with voodoo sound making this old device sound very good. The reason of ussing it is that I discover the new phones doesnt bypass the internal sound when a Dac is plugged so its a nonsense (only the amp section its running).

Voodoo sound unleash the wolfson dac and the results are very interesting.

It has also a little eq (only 6 bands). Can you (Dobrescu george) send me a proper eq for the Meze 99 classics with this bands:

16Hz
62Hz
250Hz
1kHz
4kHz
16KHz

Thanks in advance.

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #2,480 of 7,696
I found my old Galaxy S that I mooded years ago with voodoo sound making this old device sound very good. The reason of ussing it is that I discover the new phones doesnt bypass the internal sound when a Dac is plugged so its a nonsense (only the amp section its running).

Voodoo sound unleash the wolfson dac and the results are very interesting.

It has also a little eq (only 6 bands). Can you (Dobrescu george) send me a proper eq for the Meze 99 classics with this bands:

16Hz
62Hz
250Hz
1kHz
4kHz
16KHz

Thanks in advance.

Sure.

You can try

-3dB 16Hz
-4dB 62Hz
-5dB 250Hz
-2dB 1kHz
-2dB 4kHz
+6dB 16KHz

You will need to reduce the master or pre-amp by 6 dB to make it work without problems.

Let me know how it feels to you!

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #2,481 of 7,696

This is simply not true.

If you're using digital out of a device, ANY device, and feeding that into a DAC, you are using that DAC, not the internal converter of the phone.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #2,482 of 7,696
This is simply not true.

If you're using digital out of a device, ANY device, and feeding that into a DAC, you are using that DAC, not the internal converter of the phone.

I totally agree with @PinkyPowers !

It is impossible for a device to feed the signal to the internal DAC and to an USB DAC as well, the signal is always redirected to the external DAC as long as there is sound coming from it.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #2,484 of 7,696
Thanks Dobrescu George, I will try it later this eq, seems more or less the same as I have now.

In the matter of the Dac's with new Android I'm very confused.

I used to have a Motorola Moto G first gen and when I plugged my Topping D1 all the mobile controls and eq turn off but in my new LG Android 7 if I change the volume in the mobile or apply some digital filters its remains in the DAC's so It's why I'm so confused.

Can anyone clarify this? Why the filters affect the sound if the signal is bypassing the mobile?

(Sorry again for my poor english)

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #2,485 of 7,696
Thanks Dobrescu George, I will try it later this eq, seems more or less the same as I have now.

In the matter of the Dac's with new Android I'm very confused.

I used to have a Motorola Moto G first gen and when I plugged my Topping D1 all the mobile controls and eq turn off but in my new LG Android 7 if I change the volume in the mobile or apply some digital filters its remains in the DAC's so It's why I'm so confused.

Can anyone clarify this? Why the filters affect the sound if the signal is bypassing the mobile?

(Sorry again for my poor english)

Don't worry about your english!

Some effects are done through DSP - Digital Signal Processing and they are processed within the application / media player, they are digital effects and are applied before the signal is sent to the DAC

Same happens with iDSD Black Label, I can add DSPs and EQ , but the DAC used will always be iDSD BL's DAC.

I hope this helps.

As long as the cable you're connecting them with is a USB cable, the D1 is not even able to receive any other type of signal but digital through that cable, so the signal is always processed in D1.

Hello to everyone,
I bought a pair of Meze 99 Classics and fall in love instantly. Just curios if is a big step in soundstage for Philips Fidelio X2 compare with Meze. I know one is closed back and the other open back,but just wondering.
Thanks

EQ'ed Meze 99 C's soundstage goes farther and deeper than the soundstage of most closed headphones out there and it is at level with some open back headphones. Hard to say about Fidelio X2 since I haven't heard it, but it is comparable with LCD's soundstage for example - LCD2

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,486 of 7,696
Don't worry about your english!

Some effects are done through DSP - Digital Signal Processing and they are processed within the application / media player, they are digital effects and are applied before the signal is sent to the DAC

Same happens with iDSD Black Label, I can add DSPs and EQ , but the DAC used will always be iDSD BL's DAC.

I hope this helps.

As long as the cable you're connecting them with is a USB cable, the D1 is not even able to receive any other type of signal but digital through that cable, so the signal is always processed in D1.

EQ'ed Meze 99 C's soundstage goes farther and deeper than the soundstage of most closed headphones out there and it is at level with some open back headphones. Hard to say about Fidelio X2 since I haven't heard it, but it is comparable with LCD's soundstage for example - LCD2

I have a Dragonfly Black to use with Sony Xperia Z3 and sometimes with iphone 5s.I do not hear any improvement , can you recommend a portable dap to complement very well Meze .

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #2,488 of 7,696
I already tried the eq from George in my old Galaxy S and I finally can say I love this cans more than the Hifiman HE400i :D

Night and day. Without eq this Meze 99 are very good closed cans (better than average in his price point), with proper eq they are simple awesome.
I am curios to find what what proper EQ sofware you use for Meze. I have a parametric equ on UAPP pro but find difficult to understand and the interface is little bit confusing.
Thanks

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #2,489 of 7,696
I don´t have also a lot of knowledge about this things. I only used the parametric eq in this old but very good sounding Galaxy S. I´m sure others can help you more.

I only change a little the eq from George to adapt to my ears (less dB in the 16khz band and a little more bass) and the sound it´s simple amazing.

Jun 20, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #2,490 of 7,696
I have a Dragonfly Black to use with Sony Xperia Z3 and sometimes with iphone 5s.I do not hear any improvement , can you recommend a portable dap to complement very well Meze .

DAPs that are really good and already tested by me - FiiO X5ii

DAPs that I will test in 1-3 weeks: Shanling M2s, Hidizs AP200, FiiO X7next gen, FiiO X3next gen, HiFiMAN Megamini, OPUS #3 and I think that there is one more that I am forgetting.

I will update everyone on how well each of them works with 99 Classics!

I already tried the eq from George in my old Galaxy S and I finally can say I love this cans more than the Hifiman HE400i :D

Night and day. Without eq this Meze 99 are very good closed cans (better than average in his price point), with proper eq they are simple awesome.

Im glad to help! I wish more people would use EQ so they would take full advantage of 99C.

I am curios to find what what proper EQ sofware you use for Meze. I have a parametric equ on UAPP pro but find difficult to understand and the interface is little bit confusing.
Thanks

Any app and software works, I own professional hardware but am really happy with the EQ found on X5ii, the EQ found inside VLC (which is a poor music app), EQ in mobile foobar, etc.

I don´t have also a lot of knowledge about this things. I only used the parametric eq in this old but very good sounding Galaxy S. I´m sure others can help you more.

I only change a little the eq from George to adapt to my ears (less dB in the 16khz band and a little more bass) and the sound it´s simple amazing.

Of course, it is very good to adapt my curves to better suit your tastes.

The rule is as it follows:

The first 3 bass sliders affect it as it follows:

First makes it deeper, second makes it more solid while third makes it boomy and liquid.

If you want it to be harder, add 1-2 dB on 62 Hz and decrease 125 Hz, if you want it to be deeper, increase 1-2 dB on 30 and 60 Hz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back