Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 28, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #2,371 of 7,696
Hello guys,

Somebody promised a while ago to write a review on M99C vs Fostex TX00 Massdrop. I had the chance to test them side by side and I will share my impressions with you. Let's begin.
Construction:
M99C and TX00 have almost the same weight but Fostex are bulkier. The mahogany cups on Fostex look absolutely fantastic but that is practically the only thing Fostex did better that Meze. The biggest disappointment is the cable - non-removable, very long and very heavy. As somebody mentioned: 'You could hang yourself on this cable'. Also note that Fostex have a 2.5' connector and you will need an adaptor for portative use. Well, I would advise against that, of course. Taking Fostex for a stroll...that's like wearing tuxedo on the beach. Winner: Meze.

Confort and usability:
Both Meze and Fostex are quite comfortable but Fostex are better. The pads on Fostex are very ergonomic and don't get so hot, like on Meze. The headband pressure is also more evenly distributed and the clamping force more manageable than on Meze. The bad: Foxtex will leak enough sound inside to make them a poor choice for any outside activities and even for bustling offices. Winner: tie.

Source requirements:
Theoretically, both Fostex and Meze can be safely driven by an iPod. But don't be fooled by the Fostex's 25-Ohms impedance. A good DAC/Amp combo is required to get the most of these. Meze will run fine on almost everything. Winner: Meze.

Sound by frequencies:
Now is where the things get interesting.
Bass:
Meze has the most vibrant and engaging bass I've ever heard. But let's be honest - that is not a balanced bass. It is 'wow' but you will eventually get tired of it. And it's distracting. Fostex are not audiophile either but much closer to that. Very well controlled, non-intrusive and almost colorless bass here. Winner: Fostex.
Mids:
A difficult topic. Meze have a more intimate presentation with a focus on lower mids. Guitars are forward, with a bit laid back vocals. Meze perform equally well on male and female voices. Fostex has forward vocals, with the rest of the orchestra in the back, the sound is open and airy. Male voices sound somewhat congested and unnatural though. Winner: tie.
Tremble:
If you're not a classical music lover, you shouldn't worry too much. But if you are...then go for Fostex. The transparency and reproduction of strings and other high register instruments is hard to match. Winner: Fostex.
Soundstage:
Slightly more spacious on Fostex, due to a lesser amount of bass, I suppose. Still not enough for a win. Winner: tie
General impressions:
If you listen to Meze, you want to jump and dance. If you listen to Fostex, you want to sit and listen.

The list of songs used for testing

Meze best on: 3, 4, 6, 10, 17, 21,22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32
Fostex best on: 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 28

As you can see, the competition is very tight, with Fostex winning on classical, electronic and pop music and Meze having the upper hand on rock, house and vocal music. I consider this result quite an achievement for Meze.

Reasons to buy M99C: more versatile, better design, more engaging sound, cheaper.
Reasons to buy Fostex TX00: more comfortable, balanced sound

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #2,372 of 7,696
Meze99 Broken Cable.jpg
Hey all! Does anyone know any cheap Meze99 replacement cables! Mine broke on 3.5mm top plug
dual 2.5mm split into 3.5mm. I'm having trouble find cheap replacements on amazon.

:frowning2: Meze support mentions it cost $25 via paypal for a replacement.

May 28, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #2,373 of 7,696

Hey all! Does anyone know any cheap Meze99 replacement cables! Mine broke on 3.5mm top plug
dual 2.5mm split into 3.5mm. I'm having trouble find cheap replacements on amazon.

:frowning2: Meze support mentions it cost $25 via paypal for a replacement.

I would suggest going with the original cables, getting a different replacement might change sound and you might not like it.

there are a few well-known cable makers that might also be able to give a hand, but their cables are usually more expensive than 20$ - 25$.

May 28, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #2,374 of 7,696
I would suggest going with the original cables, getting a different replacement might change sound and you might not like it.

there are a few well-known cable makers that might also be able to give a hand, but their cables are usually more expensive than 20$ - 25$.
I might as well buy it from meze then XD

May 28, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #2,376 of 7,696
Sound advice would be getting it from Meze. Look for Vlad, the most helpful CS ever!

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #2,377 of 7,696
Last edited:
Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
May 29, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #2,378 of 7,696
So i recently bought an upgrade cable for my 99 classics form lavricables. I initially confirmed with them if it would fit my 99 classics and they confirmed it should fit. But Unfortunately the plugs were still a bit fat and won't fit the socket as seen below:
20170527_124411.jpg

It would be a shame to return them, so i just did a temporary workaround and removed the metal part on the socket altogether. Now i can fully insert the plugs with no problem as seen below:

20170527_174753.jpg

Now in the process of burning in the cables for the 150hr recommended burn in time. :)

May 30, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #2,379 of 7,696
The only thing I don't like about Meze's cables is their microphonics. I suspect that the real culprit is not the cable itself but the materials used in Meze's construction which are very good sound conductors (wood and metal). Maybe there is a way to sonically isolate the cable from the rest of the construction - I don't know. Just saying.

May 30, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #2,380 of 7,696
So here's what's in the box.

You guys asked for it so we'll really soon release balanced cables for the Meze 99 Classics. This is the final sample before we start production.
Custom cables.jpg

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
May 30, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #2,381 of 7,696
So here's what's in the box.

You guys asked for it so we'll really soon release balanced cables for the Meze 99 Classics. This is the final sample before we start production.

:clap::clap::money_mouth::money_mouth: Im drooling. looks great .. i hope its not too stiff!

May 30, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #2,384 of 7,696

Users who are viewing this thread

Back