Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #1,907 of 7,696
Just got these today.

Wow!  These are a thing of beauty!

I know it's way too early too early to comment on much, but initial impressions straight, cold out of the box are good.  I can clearly hear where they will improve, as I recognise the characteristics of brand-new headphones.

Totally different sound signature to my now gone Focal Spirit Pro's - not necessarily better but certainly tonally different.

I'll keep you posted on my thoughts.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #1,909 of 7,696
Will there be larger pads for the maple ones?

Apaar, just some friendly advice. If you really want help from headfiers, i suggest you read through the thread and if you dont find your answer feel free to ask a question. Having said that the larger pads for the maple and silver are in the works and will be out very soon.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #1,910 of 7,696
Finally i could apply the mod for custom cable. I went to homedepot 3 times to get the right tool =_=.

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #1,911 of 7,696
I just got mine today and they look as good as they sound. I have one small issue though, is there any mod to tone down the bass a tad? While it is not flabby it is a bit overemphasized. If there is nothing I'm probably going to be looking for an SPC cable

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #1,912 of 7,696
Finally i could apply the mod for custom cable. I went to homedepot 3 times to get the right tool =_=.

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

Always good to have something like this around. You never know what sort of bit you'll need, but this covers most of them. :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MF754W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #1,916 of 7,696
  I just got mine today and they look as good as they sound. I have one small issue though, is there any mod to tone down the bass a tad? While it is not flabby it is a bit overemphasized. If there is nothing I'm probably going to be looking for an SPC cable

EQualizer. 

I use it for virtually any pair of headphones. 

This being said, I don't tone down the bass on 99C. I increase the treble as it is much better to my liking, but the bass is nice. Maybe tone down the 250-500Hz area a bit, but that is either upper bass or lower mids rather than bass. 

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #1,917 of 7,696
  Just got these today.

Wow!  These are a thing of beauty!

I know it's way too early too early to comment on much, but initial impressions straight, cold out of the box are good.  I can clearly hear where they will improve, as I recognise the characteristics of brand-new headphones.

Totally different sound signature to my now gone Focal Spirit Pro's - not necessarily better but certainly tonally different.

I'll keep you posted on my thoughts.

So, one day on, I'm already hearing some significant changes in the sound.  Bass has become a bit less bloaty and the treble less wispy.  Overall they sound like the audio spectrum is much more cohesive.  I guess I'm about 10 hours into the burn-in and I feel there will be some more subtle changes on the way in over the next 10.  Overall thoughts - they sound very sweet and mellifluous.  Compared to my FSP's they are definitely sweeter and more organic, perhaps more forgiving, but not as dynamic, especially with drums in the snare region.  It'll be interesting to see if the overall sound moves closer to or further away from those cans as they burn in further.  Comfort wise, I definitely prefer the 99C's.  Pleased with my purchase - oh yes!

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #1,918 of 7,696
On the third day with my new Meze 99 Classics in Walnut/silver.  Soundwise, the changes are more subtle now.  I think the bass is a bit more solid but it still has a luscious warmth to it, which I am liking for the most part.  My Focal Spirit Pros were more controlled throughout the bass region, but burn-in times are not on a par just yet so it's too early to say, although I think the bass warmth of the 99C's is here to stay.  I'm not sure if I prefer it to the FSP's but it is a nice change after having got used to a particular sound signature for a couple of years, one that was punchy and extended, albeit slightly drier in tone.  One area where I think the 99C's have improved is in what "Naimees" would call P.R.A.T. which I guess falls into line with my previous comment about improved solidity in the bass region.  I imagine this will be where the 40 hour burn in time comes into play - not there yet, but homing in rapidly.  Reckon I'm on 25 hours now.  The treble seems a little more incisive at this point, with a more natural decay to cymbals.  Now I'm only listening via a Macbook Pro headphone output and I haven't hooked up my Fubar headphone amp at this point, so it'll be interesting to see if this makes any difference at all(it certainly did with my FSP's but I'm not convinced it'll make such a difference with the 99C's).
I think the stand out sound point for me is the sheer sweetness and musicality of the 99C's, they are a lot more of an easy listen than the FSP's, unsurprising really as they are a studio monitoring headphone.  Liquid comes to mind and at the moment I am loving it.
Comfort wise, the pads and clamp of the headband are lovely.  The only caveat to this is that if you are doing anything other than sitting, typing at a computer, your ears are going to get a bit warm and sweaty.  It was the same for the FSP's and I managed to live through the summer months without too much bother.  If I were going to request a development from the Meze team it would be in this area - velour pads like the Shure 1540, for example, as these may help.  Just having an option to switch would be nice.
Listening to Steven Wilson's "Transience" I have to say I'm a happy bunny!

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,919 of 7,696
  So, one day on, I'm already hearing some significant changes in the sound.  Bass has become a bit less bloaty and the treble less wispy.  Overall they sound like the audio spectrum is much more cohesive.  I guess I'm about 10 hours into the burn-in and I feel there will be some more subtle changes on the way in over the next 10.  Overall thoughts - they sound very sweet and mellifluous.  Compared to my FSP's they are definitely sweeter and more organic, perhaps more forgiving, but not as dynamic, especially with drums in the snare region.  It'll be interesting to see if the overall sound moves closer to or further away from those cans as they burn in further.  Comfort wise, I definitely prefer the 99C's.  Pleased with my purchase - oh yes!

same here man, after day 2 the bass doesn't seem as overpowering as it was on day 1. It is still a bit more emphasized compared to my other more neutral phones, but i'm liking it a lot more now for sure.

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #1,920 of 7,696
Heard these at CanJam NYC. I and a friend were very impressed. I don't need another $300 headphone. But I felt I'd either get these or the Focal Listen, or both, eventually.

So, a few weeks go by. And, I just bought the 99 Classic Gold demo set from Stereo Exchange's moving sale ... should I say? ... $150. [!] I consider myself very lucky.

The condition of them makes me believe they were not auditioned very much. Maybe it was something they thought they'd sell but then didn't, so they didn't keep them out? Because I never saw these there. Then all of a sudden they were there in their 'everything must go' headphone display case. I was stunned. And snapped it up!

Incredibly good pairing with the Opus #1 DAP. Re-listening to tracks I just listened to via the Mojo. And I can comfortably say it's one of my few headphones that don't really need the Mojo to reach their potential. It's killer right from the DAP.
Edit: OK maybe that's just with lossey Redbook. The divide is wider in favor of the Mojo driving the 99 with lossless high bitrate stuff I bought from HDTracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back