Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #1,831 of 7,703

Too bad straight inside came along...

I checked the store for the accesories, the pic for the pads is straight too,

how do I make sure those are deeper pads?

Thanks!

First impressions are just "wow" by the way, I need to take some time but I am just amazed at the 99 classics :D

Show us a photo of your box of 99 Classics. The larger pads come as stock with them for some time now. The earlier generations of pads came with different box designs as well. Just post a photo and we'll let you know. 

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Mar 1, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #1,832 of 7,703
The pair I just received from Amazon were owned by a smoker. They smell so bad I can't even try them. They are going straight back. How depressing...

Hey @gibby

Can you tell us how the box came? Was it unsealed? Did it have signs that it was opened before?

This is a weird situation, let's get to the bottom of it together. Thanks! 

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Mar 1, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #1,833 of 7,703

Hey @gibby

Can you tell us how the box came? Was it unsealed? Did it have signs that it was opened before?

This is a weird situation, let's get to the bottom of it together. Thanks! 

The box was not sealed.  There were finger prints on the headphone case.  The 1/8" to 1/4" adapter was not in a baggie.  The long cable did not have a wire tie on it.  The cloth of the inside of the headphone case smelled, as well as the headphones and cables.  Cigarette smell is not a pleasant odor.  If you have someone who smokes blow smoke through a hankerchief and smell that, that's how these headphones smell.  Smokers do not have a sense of smell.  People who smoke in their house allow the smoke to cloud the rooms they use and the smoke permeates every surface.  These headphones, cables, and case sat in a smoking den for several days, then were packaged back into the box and sent back to Amazon as a return.  Amazon then resells the headphones to me.

Lots of people use Amazon to audition headphones.  If you were to get headphones from me, you could not tell them from new after years of use, but I don't trap them in a room full of cigarette smoke.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,834 of 7,703
The box was not sealed.  There were finger prints on the headphone case.  The 1/8" to 1/4" adapter was not in a baggie.  The long cable did not have a wire tie on it.  The cloth of the inside of the headphone case smelled, as well as the headphones and cables.  Cigarette smell is not a pleasant odor.  If you have someone who smokes blow smoke through a hankerchief and smell that, that's how these headphones smell.  Smokers do not have a sense of smell.  People who smoke in their house allow the smoke to cloud the rooms they use and the smoke permeates every surface.  These headphones, cables, and case sat in a smoking den for several days, then were packaged back into the box and sent back to Amazon as a return.  Amazon then resells the headphones to me.

Lots of people use Amazon to audition headphones.  If you were to get headphones from me, you could not tell them from new after years of use, but I don't trap them in a room full of cigarette smoke.

Didn't you buy them used?

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #1,837 of 7,703
@MezeTeam
Do the 99's have any sort of limited run or will they be continually made for the foreseable future?

I will be buying some in autumn after my fiio x5iii purchase in the next month or two..
I settled on these headphones after looking into about 10-15 other pairs so i dont want to get to autumn time and find that they are discontinued then. I may shed a tear if they are..:cry:

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #1,838 of 7,703
WOW.

So they arrived this afternoon, and I've spent a happy few hours listening..

Such a different sound to my HD650 phones, which I expected for sure, but I'm over the moon with them. Masses more bass, but not woolly, they just sound great, so involving!  I'm sure the HD650s might have been technically 'better' - but it's the 99s I want to listen to, and I've been rediscovering much loved music, which is what it's all about, of course..

So it all went pear shaped, when a colleague brought his (JDS?) Amp-dac across for me to try.  Obviously I expected it to be better than my Macbook Pro output, but maybe not that much!

A quick phone call to the supplier later, and it turned into an expensive week...   

So there's an ex-demo Optoma NuForce HA-200 amplifier on it's way and a little Optoma ampdac (also ex-display) - I shall use the ampdac on its on when travelling, and use it just as a DAC into the HA-200 when at my desk which is most of the time :)  Roll on Friday :) also now broke, anyone want to buy some HD650s lol?!

In the meantime, SO pleased with the Meze phones - lots of very impressed colleagues too. Oh, small point - they arrived along with a pair of the larger earpads. I tried them on with the standard ones and thought they were ok - tried the larger ones, and MUCH better.  If I hadn't known about the larger ones I suspect I would have been content - but I'm very glad I now have the larger pads on!

Thanks for the tips and advice, all!

Ben

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #1,839 of 7,703
  No.  I paid $309 for new ones.

​I had the same thing happen to me with a new Sennheiser HD 598 that I bought from Amazon. The box had been opened, everything had been messily packed back into the box, there was hair in the box and in the earcups, as well as dandruff and greasy fingerprints. It was pretty disgusting. I returned it right away.

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #1,840 of 7,703
WOW.

So they arrived this afternoon, and I've spent a happy few hours listening..

Such a different sound to my HD650 phones, which I expected for sure, but I'm over the moon with them. Masses more bass, but not woolly, they just sound great, so involving!  I'm sure the HD650s might have been technically 'better' - but it's the 99s I want to listen to, and I've been rediscovering much loved music, which is what it's all about, of course..

So it all went pear shaped, when a colleague brought his (JDS?) Amp-dac across for me to try.  Obviously I expected it to be better than my Macbook Pro output, but maybe not that much!

A quick phone call to the supplier later, and it turned into an expensive week...   

So there's an ex-demo Optoma NuForce HA-200 amplifier on it's way and a little Optoma ampdac (also ex-display) - I shall use the ampdac on its on when travelling, and use it just as a DAC into the HA-200 when at my desk which is most of the time :)  Roll on Friday :) also now broke, anyone want to buy some HD650s lol?!

In the meantime, SO pleased with the Meze phones - lots of very impressed colleagues too. Oh, small point - they arrived along with a pair of the larger earpads. I tried them on with the standard ones and thought they were ok - tried the larger ones, and MUCH better.  If I hadn't known about the larger ones I suspect I would have been content - but I'm very glad I now have the larger pads on!

Thanks for the tips and advice, all!

Ben

Did you buy direct from Meze? Mine came with one set of pads that were the small ones I guess. I'm trying to figure out if I should order again.

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #1,841 of 7,703
No - Bought from Audiologica in Horsham, UK - they came with standard pads fitted, and an additional set of large pads were also supplied (not in the sealed Meze box but separate) so I have both - £279 delivered which I was happy with :)   
V helpful chap called Richard there!

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #1,842 of 7,703
Hi.

I was looking for a set of cans to complement/replace my K701. After almost ordering a set of monoprice planar (m1060), i fell upon the Meze. I think the build quality is stunning and from all that i have read around, i can even expect a sonic upgrade from the k701, not just a different flavor. And i hope for a headset that will be even more solid and durable.

So i pulled the trigger.

I ordered a 9 feet cable from Meze as well that i will mod to balanced to use with my NFB1-amp. Looking forward to hearing this awesome set. Some mentioned a good amp helps quite a bit (same with the k701 by the way) so i am confident about my purchase. In any case, these look like a work of art and they will make for a great piece of deco if not up to the sonic task, which would be very surprising. I like closed headphones perhaps even more than open designs, so another good point for the Meze.

Anyone can confirm that the cables coming from Meze have 4 wires?

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #1,844 of 7,703

Some might say overkill... but I say never! Really beautiful together. Can only turn it up to the first green though ha.

I really want to hear C99 with Hugo. Even more with Hugo TT. Guess the sound is even more than awesome, right? 
biggrin.gif

Hugo had one of the most interesting presentations I ever heard from what I studied, but Hugo TT and consequently Hugo 2 are said to be even better. Wondering how they sound with C99! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back