Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #1,711 of 7,697
So in your opinion the Fiio X5 line of daps are the best in the world? Wow, what a bold statement. Astell&Kern, LPG, Questyle or Opus may have something to say about that. You are entitled to your opinion but I will be surprised if I am the only one that disagrees.

Anyway my statement was regarding a pairing of the 99 Classics and the Cayin i5. It is a great pairing but for other headphones or iems there are better pairings.

Just test them then you can tell me if you find X5ii the best sounding or not 
biggrin.gif

It's just my opinion and no one can change my mind. I'm neither paid nor anything else to have this opinion. Don't worry about it though, this hobby is fun because we hear differently and we like different things. This is part of the fun and part of why we're all here and why there are so many options to pick from!

I'm one of the few who likes sound to be harsh. A cymbal crush hurts in reality, I want it to be harsh and abbrasive, it is my taste. Smooth top end is not for me 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I will hear 99 classics soon and will comment on how they pair with both X5ii and X5-3. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #1,712 of 7,697
  So I'm leaning towards saving my money and not buying the rather expensive CAN$250 DFR. Am I making a mistake for settling for an iPhone 6 Plus and a several years old workstation/laptop as my sources?

​If saving gets you a pair of 99 Classics then I think it's a good trade.  I can attest they sound fantastic directly from an iPhone (not sure about your workstation/laptop but likely good there too).  You can upgrade the DAC later when you've saved some money. In the meantime you can be enjoying really good sound with these headphones.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #1,713 of 7,697
So I'm leaning towards saving my money and not buying the rather expensive CAN$250 DFR. Am I making a mistake for settling for an iPhone 6 Plus and a several years old workstation/laptop as my sources?

You will be fine to drive the Meze from your phone, if you aren't happy you could always buy other equipment later.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #1,714 of 7,697
It's true. The 99C can be driven easily from a smartphone. However, they scale beautifully with better gear.

This setup puts my in a state of awe on a regular basis.

Opus#2>Meze

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #1,715 of 7,697
I have to say, the Meze 99 Classics pair excellently with the Astell & Kern AK Jr. A spectacular DAP, and the sound with the 99 Classics is outstanding. If only the features and the UI were better, it would be the last DAP I get for a long time. It sounds much better than the x5ii to me (sorry Dobrescu George, I prefer the warmer more musical sound. The x5ii worked better, but for pure sound quality, I liked the AK Jr. much more). :p

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #1,716 of 7,697
I have to say, the Meze 99 Classics pair excellently with the Astell & Kern AK Jr. A spectacular DAP, and the sound with the 99 Classics is outstanding. If only the features and the UI were better, it would be the last DAP I get for a long time. It sounds much better than the x5ii to me (sorry @Dobrescu George, I prefer the warmer more musical sound. The x5ii worked better, but for pure sound quality, I liked the AK Jr. much more).
tongue.gif

Don't worry about it, @PL4Y3R 0N3  ! 

I know that this signature won't be for everybody and if you like warmer signatures, you should really look into X5-3, it is warmer and very very musical now. X5ii was a bit harsher / brighter and I do like X5ii. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #1,719 of 7,697

Don't worry about it, @PL4Y3R 0N3  ! 

I know that this signature won't be for everybody and if you like warmer signatures, you should really look into X5-3, it is warmer and very very musical now. X5ii was a bit harsher / brighter and I do like X5ii. 

Looks gorgeous, how thick is it?

I have to keep the AK Jr. for now, but that's okay because it sounds fantastic. But later on, when I'm looking for something TOTL I'll start searching again. If I start now, Ill only have had the AK Jr. for about a month. 
biggrin.gif

One of the risks a Head-Fi member must take I suppose. At this rate I'll upgrade every piece of equipment I have before I have any of them for a year!

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #1,720 of 7,697
  Looks gorgeous, how thick is it?

I have to keep the AK Jr. for now, but that's okay because it sounds fantastic. But later on, when I'm looking for something TOTL I'll start searching again. If I start now, Ill only have had the AK Jr. for about a month. 
biggrin.gif

One of the risks a Head-Fi member must take I suppose. At this rate I'll upgrade every piece of equipment I have before I have any of them for a year!

This is what happens to us a lot 
frown.gif

You shoould check the photos I posed with X5-3 on it's own thread 
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/828402/fiio-x5-3rd-gen-2x-akm-4490-balanced-out-dsd-dxd-dts-android-dual-card-slot/2970#post_13283342

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #1,721 of 7,697
It's true. The 99C can be driven easily from a smartphone. However, they scale beautifully with better gear.

Opus#2>Meze

Forget X5, stretch the budget a bit more and get the Onkyo DP-X1A and run the Classics balanced.

What modifications did you guys go with to run them balanced? Intending to use them with my XDP-300R (2.5mm balanced)

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #1,722 of 7,697

Opus#2>Meze

Forget X5, stretch the budget a bit more and get the Onkyo DP-X1A and run the Classics balanced.

What modifications did you guys go with to run them balanced? Intending to use them with my XDP-300R (2.5mm balanced)

I don't think you know that LG V20 us not your run of the mill Android phone! Trigger high impedance mode on that thing and be amazed.

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #1,723 of 7,697
Sorry to keep diverting conversation back to myself. As I said I'm a newb and happy to find a responsive bunch ... so I will try not to bore you guys and ask little questions:
A DAP (Sony A17?) vs DFR vs Schiit Fulla 2 vs Schiit Mod/Magni stack

Please bear in mind that I can live with listening to my music from my phone through the B&W P5 (1st gen) and I don't move about a lot. I mostly listen to my music in office and at home (both on the same day) and can only afford one setup for now (preferably one I can move to both locations without causing it damage). Oh and I'm not a fan of walking around with too many gadgets (just my phone, hence why I never asked for DAP recommendations)

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #1,724 of 7,697
I don't think you know that LG V20 us not your run of the mill Android phone! Trigger high impedance mode on that thing and be amazed.

Well I don't have a LG V20 but a Pioneer XDP-300. I thought modifications were necessary to the connector on the cups due to its deep insertion?

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #1,725 of 7,697

Well I don't have a LG V20 but a Pioneer XDP-300. I thought modifications were necessary to the connector on the cups due to its deep insertion?

Yes that or you could order the thin connectors from Meze Customer Care

Users who are viewing this thread

Back