Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #1,696 of 7,697
I actually suggest that you test an FiiO X3ii or X5ii as they can be used as USB DAC and in connection with a computer / can be used as desktop equipment. They perform really well 
biggrin.gif

DragonFly shouldn't let you down ether since it's pretty good, but I prefered X5ii to DragonFly for my tastes and my ears. You will be happy with either - but test if you have where, there are some differences in the signatures and you should go with the one that you like best. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #1,697 of 7,697

The AQ DragonFly Red is a very good match with the 99 Classics.  ($200)

I take it you're big on DT and similar bands (PoS, Riverside, Yes and other progs), that's pretty much 50% of my music listening time. The other 50% is Motown, R'n'B and Jazz (mostly bands that have legendary bassists), what's the sound signature like? Do you still recommend the DragonFly for those genres?
I'm less bothered by portability, how do you Schiit team up with Meze?

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #1,698 of 7,697
Since you have been using a portable setup is that why you want a desktop setup? Or would you rather use a portable, quality DAP per chance? The Geek Out Plus does have a good reputation to piggy back on what Pinky said.

I don't have a portable setup per say. I just have my iPhone that's all. I also don't have a high res library (but I will start downloading in anticipation for the new equipment). I'm starting from scratch here and yes I'm absolutely in it for the sound quality.

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #1,699 of 7,697
I don't have a portable setup per say. I just have my iPhone that's all. I also don't have a high res library (but I will start downloading in anticipation for the new equipment). I'm starting from scratch here and yes I'm absolutely in it for the sound quality.

I wouldn't worry too much about song file types too much, as really that is where the smallest difference comes from. Most people hear no difference between high bitrate MP3 and lossless files like FLAC and ALAC. So if you already have a library of high quality lossy files (iTunes aac, high bitrate MP3) then you probably wouldn't benefit from redownloading those files in any lossless or high-res format. The differences are practically inaudible.
As for a DAC, the 99 Classics sound spectacular out of pretty much anything, so I'm sure any of these options would work well for you.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #1,700 of 7,697
  I take it you're big on DT and similar bands (PoS, Riverside, Yes and other progs), that's pretty much 50% of my music listening time. The other 50% is Motown, R'n'B and Jazz (mostly bands that have legendary bassists), what's the sound signature like? Do you still recommend the DragonFly for those genres?
I'm less bothered by portability, how do you Schiit team up with Meze?

To be honest with you, they sound great with everything :wink:

What kind of sound signature you're looking for ? 

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #1,701 of 7,697

To be honest with you, they sound great with everything :wink:

What kind of sound signature you're looking for ? 

I'm not sure (newbie here) but I focus a lot on the bassplaying. I don't like boomy. I scoop the high mid a tad bit though and enjoy the bass playing. Don't know what that's called but last I checked the frequency curves of the Meze and they looked a lot like my EQ. Hope this answers your question (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MezeClassic99.pdf)

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #1,702 of 7,697
  I'm not sure (newbie here) but I focus a lot on the bassplaying. I don't like boomy. I scoop the high mid a tad bit though and enjoy the bass playing. Don't know what that's called but last I checked the frequency curves of the Meze and they looked a lot like my EQ. Hope this answers your question (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MezeClassic99.pdf)

I'm pretty sure that you will like the Meze, the bass is a bit boosted but not boomy at all with the DragonFly Red.

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #1,706 of 7,697
So I'm leaning towards saving my money and not buying the rather expensive CAN$250 DFR. Am I making a mistake for settling for an iPhone 6 Plus and a several years old workstation/laptop as my sources?

Neither will be as good as a dedicated setup, but a dedicated DAC/amp is definitely not necessary to get awesome sound from the 99 Classics. They sound awesome wit pretty much anything.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #1,708 of 7,697
  FiiO X5-3 is probably the best DAP to combine Classics 99 with  if you want to spend a bit on the setup 
biggrin.gif
.. I generally recommend FiiO DAPs because of their awesome price to performance ratio 
beerchug.gif

I'll have an in-depth review for Classics 99 soon as well 
gs1000.gif

Obviously one man's opinion. I have had a couple of early Fiio players and they are ok.  The Cayin i5 is an awesome pairing with the 99 Classics. If you Google you will find references and reviews.

The 499.00 may be out of your price range or it may not. I try not to decide what may be expensive to one person and not another. The i5 has a lot of power, it has a warm signature upon initial listen. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #1,709 of 7,697
  Obviously one man's opinion. I have had a couple of early Fiio players and they are ok.  The Cayin i5 is an awesome pairing with the 99 Classics. If you Google you will find references and reviews.

The 499.00 may be out of your price range or it may not. I try not to decide what may be expensive to one person and not another. The i5 has a lot of power, it has a warm signature upon initial listen. 

Actually, i5 has a warmer signature than X5-3 and that is something I dislike. i5 is really warm... 

I honestly only owned FiiO X5 line DAPs and they are the best DAPs in the world, I like my trusty X5ii better than 1Z or mojo - but that is my taste in music and you can disagree with me. Trust your ears, they know best 
biggrin.gif

X5-3 will provide a nice depth of soundstage and a very nice vivid sound on mids to anything it powers. 

I will anyways add treble to most things, but X5-3 is a really good contender. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #1,710 of 7,697
Actually, i5 has a warmer signature than X5-3 and that is something I dislike. i5 is really warm... 

I honestly only owned FiiO X5 line DAPs and they are the best DAPs in the world, I like my trusty X5ii better than 1Z or mojo - but that is my taste in music and you can disagree with me. Trust your ears, they know best :D

X5-3 will provide a nice depth of soundstage and a very nice vivid sound on mids to anything it powers. 

I will anyways add treble to most things, but X5-3 is a really good contender. 

So in your opinion the Fiio X5 line of daps are the best in the world? Wow, what a bold statement. Astell&Kern, LPG, Questyle or Opus may have something to say about that. You are entitled to your opinion but I will be surprised if I am the only one that disagrees.

Anyway my statement was regarding a pairing of the 99 Classics and the Cayin i5. It is a great pairing but for other headphones or iems there are better pairings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back