Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,021 of 7,703
Hey, nice post...I don't know much about the B&W P7 other than I tried them at Best Buy I believe and just didn't like the fit or comfort.  Too stiff and the clamping force was a bit tight.  But it's just a personal observation.  I didn't get a chance to test the sound as it wouldn't have mattered to me given the discomfort.

Re the Meze 99...I can tell you that I have very neutral sounding headphones (Stax, Sony MDR-CD900St) and the Meze is a great alternative to that sound without sacrificing detail.   It has an excellent bass impact (the "fun" aspect as you say), but it's not muddy or veiled sounding at all.  The mid-range is one of their strengths.  I've also been using them with my iPhone and Dragonfly Black and it is pretty powerful sound.  The Meze is a sensitive headphone thought that doesn't need that much juice.  In fact, I rarely have to go above three bars on volume when using the Dragonfly Black.   The only caveat to the Meze is the ear pads might be on the smaller side - it wasn't a bad fit, as the pads are soft and plush, but I opted to purchase the larger pads separately from Meze and it works out a bit better for me. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #1,025 of 7,703
I don't know what the criteria is for something to be considered "audiophile" grade.  Some people think you have to spend $1,000 or more to reach that level, others don't.   Labels like that don't mean much to me anyway.  I thought you purchased them anyway.  The only true test is listen and judge for yourself.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #1,027 of 7,703
  but i am a new entry in this audiophile line 

When one is new to something such as headphones, at some point you have to dive in and get your feet wet and try a pair and then go from there. All the questions in the world will not be as good as trying or buying a pair and learning what you do and do not like, practice is perfect !

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #1,028 of 7,703
  When one is new to something such as headphones, at some point you have to dive in and get your feet wet and try a pair and then go from there. All the questions in the world will not be as good as trying or buying a pair and learning what you do and do not like, practice is perfect !

Agreed, online posts can be very useful, but they can only point the way.

@ apaar123: I can only say my progression: With a decent source (320 kbps MP3 minimum, mostly Flac), with a decent player (Sony NWZ-Z1060, good for audio, crap for anything else even if it's an android player) I could hear an improvement from run of the mill headphones, first with ATH-M50 (awesome with an amp, they press my head like a vise), XBA-4 (very picky headphones, won't sound good with just any source, kinda ridiculous MSRP), to ATH-CKR10 (holly molly), to Meze Classics 99. But none of this means everyone will appreciate or care about the improvement, some lucky people might be happy with streams through an iPhone with their included earphones. Why lucky? Because they won't have to spend as much, but then again music might be totally secondary for them.

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #1,031 of 7,703

I've blocked him. Moving on...

Just got the 99s in today. I like the timbre, but the bass is out of control. Does the bass bloat go away with burn-in? 

Bass is highly dependant on your source and preference.

I got them today as well (silver maple), and pairing did make a big difference.

On a meizu Pro5 (Sabre 9018K2M DAC), a lot of details but very big bass, the kind you don't seem to like.
On a Cayin N5, bass were a bit in controlled although still very present and mids are a bit more smooth.
With the addition of the Chord Mojo, bass was more polite, and the whole signature was more organic and less lively than with the previous sources. Definitely better for people looking a more balanced signature (note I didn't say balanced, just more balanced, flatter V if you want).

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #1,032 of 7,703

Bass is highly dependant on your source and preference.

I got them today as well (silver maple), and pairing did make a big difference.

On a meizu Pro5 (Sabre 9018K2M DAC), a lot of details but very big bass, the kind you don't seem to like.
On a Cayin N5, bass were a bit in controlled although still very present and mids are a bit more smooth.
With the addition of the Chord Mojo, bass was more polite, and the whole signature was more organic and less lively than with the previous sources. Definitely better for people looking a more balanced signature (note I didn't say balanced, just more balanced, flatter V if you want).

I second your claims about source dependance. My favorite pairing so far is definitely still with my AP100. It does a good job giving the bass some form of shaping and dries it out a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back